PDA

View Full Version : Trains, Moose, and Deer

dryflyguy57
12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
The latest numbers I have heard from C N workers is 1200 to 1600 kills between Rupert and Prince George . Apparently they do not use wing blades for snow removal as before using only a straight blade . This leaves no tapered sides for the animal to at least try to jump off the tracks . C N reportes only a fraction of that number for reported kills (can you say politics) . The above numbers were from flyovers of the line . I am trying to get the numbers the gov. uses for their management model but have not had a call back from the Ministry . All I know is that this problem is as old as the Grand Trunk Railway and is generally ignored and chalked up to the cost of doing business . A good friend of mine who is an engineer said they hit 6 moose betwen Smithers and Endako last week in one trip east . Anybody else out there have concerns in their region and seen the carnage .

hunter1947
12-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I would like to see it monitory that CN have to clear a path opening wider on one side or the other so the game animals can get off the tracks.

BiG Boar
12-18-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2oUSJ7R69Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCdT1K6iyxs&feature=related

TIKA 300
12-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I would like to see it monitory that CN have to clear a path opening wider on one side or the other so the game animals can get off the tracks.

I 2nd that.

Why do we pay for tags etc and have game fences put along highways(i know part of that is politics and for vehicle carnage)

If a bull moose charges a train thats one thing,but when an animal has no course thats ridiculous.

Wonder what the ANTIS would have to say about those #s ???

BigBore14,good to see those guys at least make an effort to slow down,i guess its not all doom and gloom.

mark
12-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Those vid clips are pretty sad, Ive seen similar stuff while snowmobiling into mountains, (except we never hiy the critters) Its been going on for a long time. Would sure be nice if there was a good solution to the problem. I think if I were a predator I would just walk the tracks for food!

Viking
12-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Took Via Rail from PG to Rupert once back in the early 80's and gave up counnting way before Vanderhoof. It was in March, but still lots of snow.

Would be nice to see the greenies focus their attention on stuff like that

Chuck
12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
That is pitiful, I will agree, and yes it has been going on for a long time.
And as someone said, have you ever noticed the Ravens flying along the railway tracks? They soon learn where to look. The numbers of animals killed is, I'm sure, quite astounding and would shock a lot of people, if they only knew. Thank goodness not all winters are so severe and also the shutting down of many rail lines has helped cut back at least a bit.

I wish I had the answer - but I don't.

boxhitch
12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
A thread about this last year had some large stats listed. And quoted newspsaper articles IIRC

Found it
.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19714&highlight=rail

Lone Ranger
12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
There's no guns to take away from anyone so the anti's aren't interested.. LR

plumbob
12-18-2008, 06:24 PM
It's been bad from Burns to fraser lake on the tracks but the highway is terrible as in the last three days theres been 14 hit on the highway between decker lake and fraser lake.

Downtown
12-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I understand in some Winters the Trains hit/kill nearly a tousand Moose just between Dome Creek and Penny that,s east of Prince George in the Snowbelt. Would have thought that after all these years this is going on a practical solution had been found and used to prevent this senseless sloughter. Cant help but feel sorry for the Animals which dont even get put out of there misery after there legs have been cut off by the Train.

Tank
12-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Those youtube videos are quite telling. The open rail line and deep banks give the animals no where to flee other than down the tracks....a real death trap:(

Jagermeister
12-18-2008, 07:34 PM
That's the way it is between Quesnel and Prince George too.

TIKA 300
12-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Why dont we trap all the wolves in BC and line them along the rail beds in the winter ? :idea: :twisted: :mrgreen:

boxhitch
12-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Wouldn't the wolves already be there, with fresh meals served daily ?

TIKA 300
12-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Wouldn't the wolves already be there, with fresh meals served daily ?

This is true.:razz: