PDA

View Full Version : island boy wants to hunt on the mainland??

island grown
12-16-2008, 12:48 PM
hey there everyone,
i have a house that i can used as a base camp for a hunting trip next year. the house is around 100 mile house i believe. it's right on Deka Lake. hoping someone might be able to shed a little light here for me. not sure how far i would have to drive from the lake to be able to hunt.
and also what might be around, moose, elk, whitetail, mules......

thanks for any info.

island grown
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
seeing how i have never been up that way before, i was also wondering what i should expect for terrain. i'm used to island hunting with dense bush and lots of hills and clear cuts. i'm guessing that its more open land up that way but i really don't know.
thanks again

BIGHUNTERFISH
12-17-2008, 11:41 AM
hey there everyone,
i have a house that i can used as a base camp for a hunting trip next year. the house is around 100 mile house i believe. it's right on Deka Lake. hoping someone might be able to shed a little light here for me. not sure how far i would have to drive from the lake to be able to hunt.
and also what might be around, moose, elk, whitetail, mules......

thanks for any info.

First off ,you will not find any elk and there are very few whitetails in that area.All moose are leh in region 5 ,so put in for a group or shared hunt in that area.Do some research about the Needa lake area up Windy mountain road ,lots of muledeer and good moose hunting about 45 minutes from Deka lake.

island grown
12-17-2008, 12:40 PM
thank you very much for your reply. i was starting to think i would find any info.

thanks again

cariboobill
12-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Hello:

Your cabin is in the areas I hunt each day during the season. Deka Lake has some great areas for nice Mule deer. Large deer in the area will score 180 or so. You need to go there in the summer to scope out the roads, as there are a lot of farms and private lands, as well as roads in rough shape.

I find hunting an area is best from a stand/blind, once you find good sign etc, unless you hunt the rut, then walking is fine.

This year two buddies took animals that scored 175-185 from the area. Hunt the ridges over looking Canum Lake.

good luck

bushguy
12-17-2008, 05:19 PM
I believe in the 2009/10 regs it will say Islanders cannot hunt past Hope,or north to Squamish.And they may be allowed to land in prince rupert,if absolutely necessary for sustinence.:lol::lol::lol: