PDA

View Full Version : Spring Grizzly 08

bushguy
12-15-2008, 11:28 PM
After some instruction from my wonderfull son,:razz:Heres some pics and a bit of a story of my grizzly hunt this past spring,,,
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/bushguy_photos/mail.jpg
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/bushguy_photos/mail1.jpg
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/bushguy_photos/mail2.jpg
First trip,,LOTS of snow but ya never know eh?Easy walking for sure.
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/bushguy_photos/mail3.jpg
Same slide as last pic,ACTION,,,see 2 Grizz and one black on same slide
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/bushguy_photos/mail4.jpg
Missed first shot,down on second ,after a tough stalk crossing creek etc.
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/bushguy_photos/mail5.jpg
Yes,I'm fat,and funny lookin,,,
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/bushguy_photos/mail6.jpg
Back up hunter,who had NO rifle,lmao.
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/bushguy_photos/mail7.jpg
Now the mad skinning job ,,and pack out in the dark,,,,fun times.

Will
12-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Looks like a good Bear ! Congrats to that and Thanks for the look ! :smile:

GrizGuy92
12-15-2008, 11:31 PM
After about 8 months we have a story! Ya Dad!

bushguy
12-15-2008, 11:33 PM
:shock:stfu punk:tongue::tongue:

BigBanger
12-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice bear .

Rattler
12-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Beautiful coat on that grizz. What region were you hunting in? Have you scored him yet?

Thanks for sharing...

BCbillies
12-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Good bear. Thanks for sharing . . . I likey! Any more detail (how far was shot, what calibre, bullet, was it a bang flop, etc) would be a bonus. ;-)

BiG Boar
12-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Pretty awsome if you ask me. Good work! Cant wait till I get my draw in spring 09! What did it measure?

bushguy
12-16-2008, 04:05 PM
What region were you hunting in? Have you scored him yet?

It was a Revelstoke bear(no big secrets here,lol) ,region 4.Yes I scored him,he had a much smaller skull than I thought originally,this bear was at least the same size body wise as my last one,and, is a much older bear.(which was shot basically over the height of land) his skull ended up being exactly an inch shorter overall.It is 21.5 inches .The hide was 7'2" on the carcass,if i remember right.His front paw was 6.5 " across,anyways he has a beautifull hide,with a few nice scars on face and body.He will be rugged out with a halfmouth .

Any more detail (how far was shot, what calibre, bullet, was it a bang flop, etc)

First and second shot were from about 65 yards,quartering towards,,I totally missed the first,willow i guess,He raised his head and looked right at me,but i dont think saw me as i was pasted beside a huge cedar.second was a bang flop,not even a flinch from him.Shot in the chest,300 RUM,180 gr(?) TSX.We watched this slide for about 2 hours,and my bro finally spotted him ,sleeping right in the bottom between the trees,you could just see his back above the cabbage.we werent even sure it was a grizz,untill he rolled over and I saw his front claws,even at 40X in the scope.Finally he got up and started to feed,then we watched him for a while to determine if he was a shooter,down the hill,gong show creek crossing,downwind ,snuck up to the cedar where i shot him and peeked around the tree,there was a good sized branch moving side to side,On the other side of the tree @ 10 yards,,,,,,,,,,,,,it must of been a bird as the bear wasnt there,talk about heart failure,lol,finally he just walked out into the open,feeding away,waited about 5 mins,wind was good,,then ruined his day.i wish i would have videod it(had my camera,but after the branch moving on the other side of the cedar,kinda forgot about it,lol).I love hunting these things!!really makes you feel alive.

Ive hunted over in that area a bit,and the bears (blacks and g)generally seem to be on average,fairly small ( skull and body size wise)as compared to the northern interior, and terrace,and coast,other places ive hunted them.its kinda hard to get pumped up to go,untill you get over there.really reminds me of the Terrace area.

bushguy
12-16-2008, 04:31 PM
i went and checked the CI 's(not to say they are right) on each bear,,,this bear was aged 13-14,,,,,the other 7 (one i shot a few years ago,in same general range,which I am really questioning the age recorded),,,,and there is a noticeable difference in skull size,not just in l/w but in general bulkieness ,the difference is amazing,if you consider body wise the two bears I'm comparing were ,I would say identical in body size,Personally in my experience i would say this bear was even older than the CI says,,his teeth are very bad,,.But I dont really "g.a.s" just interesting .tried to take a few pics of the skulls,but as usual,Im camera illiterate.:redface: Cant wait till next spring,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

sawmill
12-16-2008, 05:18 PM
That is a great bear!!Up north,Hazelton way where I`m from.the boars are almost always a reddish brown and the pretty ones are females.We got a jet black silvertip once,looked like a silver fox.My blonde silvertip was a female as well.I`ll see if I can find a photo of the male,he squared 9ft 2 in.and still missed the book.He was 28 years old according to the tooth fairies.
If you ever run in to a girl named Deb Nelson,have a look at the one she got hunting with me,she is a Taxi in Quesnel.That thing was a 38 year old coat rack,all bone and 10 ft. long.It had 6 teeth left in it`s head.That one made the book.
A Grizz is a trophy of a lifetime,good on you and cherish him.

Wolfman
12-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Nice looking bear. thanks for sharing your pix.

Wolfman

bushguy
12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
sawmill,one of the largest grizzlies i ve seen was walking down the mainline kispiox fsr.we caught up to him in the pickup when we came around the corner,he looked over his shoulder at us,and i think he actually laughed,kept walkikn down the road,then nonchalantly walked up the bank,,,laughin all the way.im sure he was an honest 8- maybe 9 footer.yes i know what a 8'g bear looks like,lol,We had no tag,,,,,,,and the drainage name escapes me at the moment,just east of moricetown south of highway,,,,,hunted a huge bear in there one year,,,,,nocturnal,,,, but size large definately.And like the old story goes,he was missing one toe on one of his feet,lol.man i sure miss those northcoast bear hunting trips.grew up in terrace,lived in Smithers a few years,,,,,spring bear and steelies,,,,oh ya!,,oh and how bout them goats eh????Man,,, back in the day huh,,,,,,

TRIPALM
12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
nice grizz
that bear is huge lol

BCbillies
12-16-2008, 06:01 PM
man i sure miss those northcoast bear hunting trips.grew up in terrace,lived in Smithers a few years,,,,,spring bear and steelies,,,,oh ya!,,oh and how bout them goats eh????Man,,, back in the day huh,,,,,,

x2. I moved away once and it would take a lot to move me away a second time! From spring to fall it feels like I'm on vacation while living here!

bushguy
12-16-2008, 06:18 PM
BCBillies,,,,used to run out to the Zymacord in between shifts for coho,lmao,Skeena 21 mile,,,,MAYBE saw a couple other people on the whole bar,,,kalum and copper steelies,,,,,and the secret river in the nass drainage,,,,,,,,,,,,fishganish,,if ya know what i mean,,,,,,,coho EVERY cast 6' spinning rod,,,, 52 catch and release steelies in a w end,,,,,ahhhhh and my buddies down here want me to go try the shuswap,,,now thats funny,,,,,GODS COUNTRY for sure! Nice area if you got a decent job!:razz: Cranberry,mouth of Kinskuch,Kalum,Lakelse,and on and on, yep, back in the day!

BCbillies
12-16-2008, 07:09 PM
bushguy . . . I know the spots your referring to. Back in the day when gas was cheap, before the 3 kids came, no paved road to the Nass, etc, etc I took fishing pretty serious. Used to head up to the secret Nass holes after work on a regular basis for an evening of fishing. Gotta love the long summer days up here! :smile: Wouldn't think of doing the evening trips to those "holes" now.

gerrygoat
12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Nice bear bushguy, I like the scars on his face. I've been debating on whether to apply for spring grizz or wait for fall probably will go for the spring in the area we hunted last spring now that we know the bears habits a bit better. I'm sure you would know where it is if I told you.

It's a little more crowded now for fishing especially in the summer but a guy that is willing to do a little hiking and brave the bears can get into some good fall fishing. I love living here too.

Rattler
12-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info Bushguy. That is a good sized bear for the interior.

I would be more than happy to connect on a bear like that one day...

browningboy
12-16-2008, 08:44 PM
nice job on the grizz, hoping to get the revelstoke dam project solidified, gives me an excuse to make sure the project has no problem bears!

sneg
12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
nice one.congrats.