PDA

View Full Version : gettin hair off deer

Rob
10-05-2005, 07:05 PM
anyone got any secrets for a good way of getting hair off your deer after youve skinned it? Probly one of those prevention is best eh!:smile:

brotherjack
10-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Wipe it down with a vinegar and water solution and a bath-towel type of cloth. Works for me, and the vinegar and water will do wonders for the meat (a friend of mine and I who got quarters from the same critter - mine got wiped down, and his didn't - after 5 days of hanging, mine was nice and red all the way through with a light glaze on it, his was black and crusty all over the outside.)

Not a ton of vinegar mind you - 1/4 to 1/2 a cup for a gallon bucket is about right. Also, don't soak the meat with it; wring the cloth out before you wipe the meat down - you just want to dampen the surface and get the hair off. Also, if your hanging facility doesn't have airflow to dry the meat, you might want to dry it with a towel when you're done.

And yeah, the idea is, you don't get much/any hair on it when you skin it. That's why I hang mine up by the head, cut around the neck, and then skin down - hardly a hair ever gets on any of my meat except right at the front where I made the split for gutting. A little harder for an elk, since he's too big to hang easily, but we skinned one side clean, wrapped it in cheesecloth, and flipped him and skinned the other side clean. Then we peeled the cheesecloth after we had him hung. Worked out pretty good all in all.

BCKID
10-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I agree with brotherjack, I have been using the vinegar/water for about 20 years or so. and it works great. I do the gut cavity as well. Gets rid of all the blood and stuff. Never had a bad chunk of meat yet. I have taken some nice muley bucks in the rut and they still taste good. I even rinse the meat when I butcher them if I think it needs it. IE bloodshot meat etc. I cut away the bad stuff and rinse in vinegar/water. BCKID

Thunderstix
10-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Cut out the tongue way back in the throat and then use it to lick the hair off...or you could just try your own tongue:mrgreen:

By the way I am serious about the tongue thing.

brotherjack
10-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Cut out the tongue way back in the throat and then use it to lick the hair off..

ROFL... that actually sounds like it would work!

fester
10-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I have seen him do worse things to animals sometimes it borders on illegal activities

ROFL... that actually sounds like it would work!

Rob
10-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I ended up using a bucket of water and some clean cloths and my fingers, will remember the water vinager for next time though.Rob

Marc
10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Dewy did you get a deer? Where is the story and pictures?

Marc.

Nails
10-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Vinegar works great and is one of those old time recipes. Thunder l like the tounge idea:tongue: , But who knows I may give it a try.

TinMan
10-06-2005, 12:39 AM
If u want hair off your deer use a small torch and burn it off it stinks but thats how we do it when we butcher pigs on farm( not whole hide just stuff on meat)

Thunderstix
10-06-2005, 05:31 AM
If u want hair off your deer use a small torch and burn it off it stinks but thats how we do it when we butcher pigs on farm( not whole hide just stuff on meat)

Now there is a cool idea! I might pop into the garage this morning and torch a few hair off one of the moose quarters and report back.

Thunderstix
10-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Well I tried the torch and now my 2 hunting buddies are mad at me. I guess I got the torch a little too close and started cooking the meat...it smelled so good the next thing I know I'm into the house for salt and pepper...it took me 3 hours (small torch), but I ate a whole quarter...cook a little, eat, cook a little, eat....man I'm stuffed.

DO NOT TRY THE TORCH METHOD BEFORE YOU HAVE HAD BREAKFAST!!!!

huntcoop
10-06-2005, 09:18 AM
I've used the torch as well, works great, just do light passes back and forth with the flame a ways away from the meat and ya won't cook the meat. I've been told that the hairs are hollow, they just seem to evaporate.

Fred
10-06-2005, 10:04 PM
You can get an attachment for the torch that creates a wide flame front that would likely do a fine job of it. Fred

Rob
10-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Marc, me and my buddy went out to where me and the wife have been seeing quite a bit of does in Sept as well as some non 4 pt. bucks. So me, Joe and my 2yr. old daughter Jordyn went for a drive to that area and sure enough my buddy spots a nice 2 pt buck standing about 130? yds away. So he hops out of the truck as I'm putting it into park. Im reaching over the back seat to cover my daughters ears(shes been around us shooting .22's but i didnt want her scared of the sound of the larger calibres) So Joe shoots & misses, shoots & misses, shoots & misses all the while the buck is standing there looking at us, Joe looks at me and says to get out and shoot 'cause he cant hit it, so i grab my wifes .260 and hop out just ready to shoot when he finally hits it with his .308. He broke the bucks back and we went up i finished it with .260. didnt get any pics though. We dragged it about 50 yds then used a rope from the truck to drag it the rest,the deer was just on the inside of the trees on the other side of a very muddy/loggy cut block. I wish i had a camera because the look on his face when he asked me to get out and shoot was priceless!! 1/2 panic 1/2 pissed off and im in the back covering Jordyns ears and her and i are both laughing(not sure why she was laughing probly wondering why i was reaching over the back seat covering her ears:) )Anyways I learned a bit but just wanted see about tips on the hair removal, so thanks for the info. Rob

Steeleco
10-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Cut out the tongue way back in the throat and then use it to lick the hair off...or you could just try your own tongue:mrgreen:

The butcher at Saunder meats told me a cooked beef tounge would do the trick, but I like Tsticks idea, plus I don't have to pack the thing!!!

Jager
11-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Well Thunderstix.....I owe you an apology. I'm sorry! I thought you were full o' shyte with the tongue idea but I got myself a little freezer buck yesterday and thought I'd give it a try....you know what, it actually worked! The only problem - how do you get the hair off the tongue?

Thunderstix
11-06-2005, 04:27 PM
No apology needed man! I am pretty sure that 1/2 the stuff I say is "shyte":mrgreen: ! If I remember correctly the hair comes off more easily in one particular direction....with the "grain" so to speak...if I remember correctly.

Ltbullken
11-06-2005, 04:50 PM
A meat cutter told me to use bleach and water to clean up the carcass. Says "that's how butchers do it when cleaning is required". I was skeptical at first but he explained that the bleach quickly evaporates after it cleans and it kills the bacteria that causes tainted, gamey meat. Well, I tried it. Have used it on every animal since 1993 and have had nothing but good results. Pour a 1/4 cup to 10 litres water, rags and away you go. After cleaning, I spend a few minutes every now and then to pick off the hairs that inevitably get missed.

Thunderstix
11-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Or for those looking for a smaller batch it is 1/4 oz per liter of water....or 1 oz per gallon. This equates to 100ppm and will kill any bacteria. This is how you should be disinfecting wooden or teflon cutting boards etc after cutting meat etc.

huntwriter
11-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Thunderstix and TinMan are spot on. That is exactly what we do in the slaughterhouse with sheep. First you brush the animal with the thong. Then you take a torch and burn the remaining hairs off. Deer hair disintegrate fast bcause they are hollow.

On little tip with the thong: We use use beef thong because it is as rough as a wooden rasp but deer thong works fine too. If the thong clogs up clean it with the back of your knife, under flowing water, by stroking with flow of the bristles.

It is easy said that you should not get hair on the deer when skinning but it is one of this things that will always happen even by professionals especially now where the deer are shedding.

DBM
11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Huntwriter,

Nice website. Where's your butcher shop and do you accept wild game?

wetcoastwillie
11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Those little green "scouring pads" work great..

Dry... not wet. its like a little vacume cleaner for hair!

lightweigt and small to fit in your pack too.

huntwriter
11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Huntwriter,

Nice website. Where's your butcher shop and do you accept wild game?

Thank you DMB.
I do not have a butcher shop, I work in a meat processing plant as foreman on the kill floor.

I hope in the near future I will be ready to accept deer and other wild game for processing. Right now I am planning because it has to be a proper place with walk in coolers and freezers not just a dirty garage or car port. If it is ready I will be able to make sausages and other venison specialities in a professional way but with affordable prizes.

358mag
01-25-2006, 10:05 PM
go down to wal-mat and buy a big shop vacumn <that is if you have a electrical outlet or a real lonnggg extion cord > works like a hot dam removing hair-blood shot carp etc last deer we took down to local meat cutter he couldnt belive it said was the cleanest deer he's seen in years :lol:

Walk softy and carrier a Big Stick

RBH
01-27-2006, 03:14 PM

Which tongue?:eek:

3kills
01-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Thank you DMB.
I do not have a butcher shop, I work in a meat processing plant as foreman on the kill floor.

what plant do u work at huntwriter

huntwriter
01-27-2006, 11:08 PM
go down to wal-mat and buy a big shop vacumn <that is if you have a electrical outlet or a real lonnggg extion cord > works like a hot dam removing hair-blood shot carp etc last deer we took down to local meat cutter he couldnt belive it said was the cleanest deer he's seen in years :lol:

Walk softy and carrier a Big Stick

Now that is a good idea. Just shows you there is to be something learned every day.

huntwriter
01-27-2006, 11:13 PM
what plant do u work at huntwriter

It is a small place in Langley. I prefer to work in a smaller place because you do everything unlike a big place where you are nothing more than a part of a machine and do all day long the same movement until you end up in total stupor.;-)

huntwriter
01-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Which tongue?:eek:

What's that shocked expression? Are you saying you never licked venison?:lol:

Fred
01-28-2006, 01:50 AM
What's that shocked expression? Are you saying you never licked venison?:lol:

Never seen a deer with a thong either! :biggrin: Fred

guntech
01-28-2006, 09:03 AM
We use a stiff brush made for scrubbing floors and a little warm water to clean the brush off.... it has worked well for us.

Brambles
01-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm usually pretty careful when I skin animals to avoid getting excess hair on the meat. The few hairs that do find themselves on the meat are either picked off or wiped off with a moist cloth.

Brambles

3kills
01-28-2006, 04:46 PM
spray it down with a hose and if there is still hairs on it wipe it off with a cloth with cool water and vinigar or a 5 gal bucket with a cap full of bleach...

elkster
01-28-2006, 09:28 PM
I use a combo of water and vinegar. Then dry it after. The vinegar seems to help it set up when you are hanging it