PDA

View Full Version : Awsome Day On The Bay

Duck Buster
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Well today went off almost as I expected. With the cold snap and the snow there were tones of birds working the bay. Wigeon by the thousands, with some pins, mallards and teal thrown in for flavor. We had 200 wigeon land in the decoys 10 min before shooting light, the poor dog lost his mind, and that was the end of those birds. It was a bit of a tough hunt with the cold and the wind. As well as the slush ice that pushed in on us just after shooting light. But with some good luck and some decent shooting we were able to pull our two limits out. One interesting point, I shot a bird and had the empty shell catch in the breach, more birds were working in so I very quickly pulled the barrel off the gun cleared the jam, put it back on, and reloaded in time to take a bird out of the next flock. It was the fastest gun breakdown and rebuild that I have ever done in my life. My buddy could not believe that I pulled it off. Sorry no pics left the camera at home. I hope everyone who made it out had the same sort of day we did, because nature put on one hell of a show with all the birds that were around.

Marc
12-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I walked down to the bay at last light on my way home. Saw some ducks but never saw one Canada goose but I did see some Speckles.