PDA

View Full Version : My First Buck

beeker
10-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Saturday Night after work my partner and I headed up to our chosen destination in region 8. On our way up around 8:30 we spotted a nice 3 point mulie, obviously too dark but could it be a good omen for the upcoming days?

Sunday morning arrives after a chilly night in the tent trailer!! we walk out to our spots from camp and didn’t see a darn thing for the entire morning hunt. Sunday afternoon we decide that we are going to go scout out some new areas and then be back in our spots for the evening hunt. Needless to say after a scouting mission that turned up 12 deer and one huge Bull Moose we had found a new spot to hunt the next morning. Sure enough Monday morning rolls around and we make our way into this new area, well holy there were deer everywhere, needless to say after closely scrutinizing one deer my partner knocked down a spike mulie at about 200 yards uphill (great shot). Just as we are thinking that things are pretty good we start driving the deer back to camp and an immature bulls goes darting across the road right into the thickest stuff imaginable, we followed him for a while but couldn’t navigate the jungle quite like he could!!

Well Tuesday morning rolls around and we decide to go and see if we can find another buck in the same area. After seeing does scattered all over we couldn’t grow horns on anything so we decided to move on. 20 minutes later we come across a nice little ravine and spot a nice 3x4 about 400 yards away. We check it out and are getting pretty excited until we hear someone whistling at it from down in the ravine; pretty soon we hear voices and decide that it is time for us to move on. By this point (Tuesday morning) and we didn’t expect to see anyone else up there but for some reason we run into 4 trucks before 8 am. I suppose this may have been a blessing in disguise because we decided to get out of that area and go check out the top of the mountain. No sooner did we get into a nice clearing up top that we spot 3 deer. Immediately I noticed 2 out of the 3 had horns, after a quick decision i look left and see a spike and look right and it’s a 2 point. I decide that I am going to try and shoot the 2 point. Well.......... by this point buck fever had set in and holding the gun steady wasn’t proving to be an easy task. I tried to kneel but then i lost sight of the deer so I had to stand back up and try to shoot er free hand while fighting the "fever". Nevertheless after missing my first shot I connected on the second one and the fourth one Buck Down, I finally did it... connected on my first buck. What a rush I can’t even explain how pumped I was it was so awesome. Then my hunting partner graciously helped clean the deer (he did most of it!!) and we were on our way home after an exciting and successful trip.

Marc
10-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Good going beeker congrats on your first deer. Any pictures to follow?

Marc.

ZENYO
10-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Nice! Congrats on your buck! it's quite the rush, gets the heart going good don't it?!?! Any pics?

ex bc guide
10-05-2005, 02:14 PM
congrats on your 1st buck.....got pics
Mike

Thunderstix
10-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Good for you Beeker! I know excatly the rush you were feeling as do most others here!

beeker
10-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Pics are coming when marc resizes them for me

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/718Jamie_s_First_Buck_002.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/718Jamie_s_First_Buck_021.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/718Jamie_s_First_Buck_024.jpg

Freshtracks
10-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Congrats .. very nice first buck... hopefully I can get my son his this weekend.

Thunderstix
10-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Dang that thing has some big ears!

Sikanni Stalker
10-06-2005, 07:50 AM
good job man!

Ronforca
10-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Congrats. Beeker.I like that smile on your face.That good feeling when you connect with a nice Buck never completely goes away.Hope that you get many more.8)

beeker
10-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah that feeling was unreal I was just shaking with excitement!

On another note i forgot to say in my story that in two and a half days hunting we managed to see 41 does 5 bucks one huge bull moose and 1 immature bull. We suspect that it had something to do with the fact that there was no moon and it was raining all night each night perhaps keeping the deer inactive during the night and forcing them to feed during the morning. Anyways, it was just an all round awesome trip

Red Foreman
10-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Way to go Beeker,congrats on your first deer,now you just need to add a immature moose to thar eh?