PDA

View Full Version : hunting in the deep snow

ROEBUCK
12-15-2008, 03:33 PM
interested in how you guys get out in the deep snow to hunt, im snow shoeing at the moment but find it hard work and noisy, gona buy a sled soon?

Will
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
...find it hard work and noisy, gona buy a sled soon?
Sleds aren't much quieter then shoes :smile:

hunter1947
12-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I never have hunted in deep snow ,but if I where going to hunt in deep snow it would be with snow shoes.

Mr. Dean
12-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Some of the newer sleds make less noise than a hunter on snowshoes.

That is fact.

marcguiver
12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
snow shoes are best if it's a shot distance

ROEBUCK
12-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Sleds aren't much quieter then shoes :smile:
yes ,there both fairly noisy methods, but the sled will get you deeper in the bush with less sweating!

Will
12-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Some of the newer sleds make less noise than a hunter on snowshoes.

That is fact.
Surely you can't be serious.......

Mr. Dean
12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
quote=Will;
Surely you can't be serious.......

:tongue: :mrgreen: :tongue:

shadowhunter
12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
does anyone use x country skies?

Will
12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
does anyone use x country skies?
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z268/mikekozak/2012biathalon.jpg

bad arrow
12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
How much snow are we talking about, to me snow that is 16in or more is deep, In early winter snowshoes are a pain in the ass and wouldn't where them until there was 2 ft. After that snowshoes are a must, it seems you can get surprisingly close to game in deep snow, but never used shoes while hunting, never had to. My snowshoe experience is only related to being a faller for 15 years. Lots of guy's use trucks and quads for hunting, I dont see sleds as being much more noisy, if at all.

todbartell
12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
I use Atlas 1030's, for when snow is more than around 18 inches. Nothing but great things to say about these shoes

http://media.rei.com/media/l/1193096.jpg

Chuck
12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
If you can ski, that's what I'd do.

Snowshoes are good in very deep snow, but a pita, especially if there's a slight crust because of the Muunnch....muunnch....muunnch noise they make and animals are very attuned to loud footfalls.

Snow machines go Brraaaaa....brrraaa......braaa, and that is just a helluva noise imo. All game has to be on high alert or already leaving the area.

But skis just go Ssssss....ssssss.....ssssss, and anybody and everything knows that all the snakes are hibernated by now, so nobody will pay you any mind and you'll be able to get right up on them. Imo.

bad arrow
12-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I never tried a pair like that, you can cover the country pretty good in those I bet, they look comfy

hannibal
12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I have some old military surplus snowshoes that I use but this year I'm considering X-country skis. I looked into it and I believe spending the extra couple of bucks on new style skies, bindings and boots makes more sense than the old style boot and binding. My 2 bits. The local shop here said basically $150-$200 for a rig.

Jelvis
12-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey chuckles--I use a high quality snowboard and just go zigzagging down the mountain with my .30-06 ready as I gain speed through the timber and rock bluffs-works good
Sometimes I can get so close to a nice buck when I'm hanging ten I forget about the rifle and just have my Bowie knife.
Good luck-Jel-

frenchbar
12-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I can see it now ,jellyski and his hunting partner Ross Rebaliatti zig zaggin down the slopes with gerbers clentched in their teeth lol good one jelski.

doubled
12-15-2008, 09:45 PM
I can see it now ,jellyski and his hunting partner Ross Rebaliatti zig zaggin down the slopes with gerbers clentched in their teeth lol good one jelski.

Frenchbar, that is good. Rebaliatti and zigzags, haven't we heard that before???:razz:

moosecaller
12-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Sleds are just like any motor vehicle, they can break down and leave you a long way back in that deep snow, at least with snow shoes you can walk out the same distance you walked in even if it is noisy going!

Pete
12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Unless you have spent any amount of time on snowshoes you are going to be in a world of hurt the next day. A full day out is physically demanding. You can go further on a sled in 1/2 hour than you can walk out in a single day on snow shoes in deep snow. Good luck!!!!!

Brambles
12-15-2008, 11:17 PM
unless your hunting cats or bison I think the authorities will frown upon the use of snowmobiles for hunting.

nothing wrong with a little hard work, keep up the snowshoeing or go to alpine touring ski's.

Chuck
12-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Unless you have spent any amount of time on snowshoes you are going to be in a world of hurt the next day. A full day out is physically demanding. You can go further on a sled in 1/2 hour than you can walk out in a single day on snow shoes in deep snow. Good luck!!!!!

Did you use "Heet" liniment the first time out on snowshoes too? Gawd the pain and I mean in my crotch from the liniment - not from snowshoeing. Lay in bed for two days & nights with bags of ice. Funny, come to think of it now!

huntwriter
12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Cross country skis are best for deep show hunting. My father used to hunt with them and they are very quiet. I am to lazy for that type of hunting. If the snow gets deep I sit at home next to the fireplace with a good whisky.:smile:

CanuckShooter
12-16-2008, 08:51 AM
interested in how you guys get out in the deep snow to hunt, im snow shoeing at the moment but find it hard work and noisy, gona buy a sled soon?

I have long legs...and get around in the deep snow the same way a moose does. When you hunt this way you have to teach yourself to move way slower so any noise you do make sounds like a moose walking around feeding.

goatdancer
12-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Cross country skis could get you into a whole lot of hurt too. If the snow is really deep and soft, you could sink down and then it is no fun at all trying to get out. Kinda like being in a big mudhole with snowshoes on.
I used to do quite a bit of cross country skiing, only it was on groomed trails. Going out into the soft stuff always caused the above mentioned quicksand thing and a lot of bad words.

ROEBUCK
12-16-2008, 03:50 PM
[quote=Brambles;378159]unless your hunting cats or bison I think the authorities will frown upon the use of snowmobiles for hunting.

WE DO NOT LIVE IN A POLICE STATE!!.as long as you are abiding by the laws and hunting regulations you can hunt any animal in season in any legal means and sleds are a legal form of transport for hunting any legal quarry in season

ElkMasterC
12-16-2008, 04:15 PM
WE DO NOT LIVE IN A POLICE STATE!!.as long as you are abiding by the laws and hunting regulations you can hunt any animal in season in any legal means and sleds are a legal form of transport for hunting any legal quarry in season

Try decaf.

Now, back to the thread:

I just use a pair of these:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/LionStilts.jpg

They were made for the Masai Mara, but they work equally well in the powder.

Will
12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
It's been around here for awhile now.......:wink:

Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed Areas:

The use of snowmobiles to hunt wildlife, transport
wildlife, transport equipment or supplies which are
intended for or in support of hunting or transport
hunters to or from the location of wildlife is prohibited
in the Thompson Region MUs 3-28, 3-45 and 3-
46. An authorized trapper is exempt from this restriction
with respect to the trapping of furbearing
animals.

Rock Doctor
12-16-2008, 04:23 PM

I say "Ditch the skis and jump in that big yellow ATV" :razz:

That'll get you where you want to go. lol

RD

Jelvis
02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
You can't use a snowmobile in MU 3-28 for hunting, transferring hunters or dragging dead game animals or anything to do with hunting game. It's against the LAW!
Jel--no sleds allowed in MU 3-28 for hunting purposes.

FlyingHigh
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM

ah, he's Russian. that explains it. :-P

Fallkniven
02-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I went hunting at the weekend to try for a lynx/bobcat. Snow was so deep the only way I could get around was to follow a track left by a Skidoo the previous day. It had compacted the snow just enought that i could walk over the top of it. But I was kind of stuck to following where the Skidoo had been, as soon as I walked off its track i went up to my knees!. It was noisy going though, despite me being careful. No cats..But I noticed lots of Elk tracks, seems they don't have any trouble with the deep snow.

paul

Jelvis
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
That's why snowmobile use in good winter range for deer are not liked by the locals who hunt certain areas around communities. The snowmobile hardens and packs the snow like you say, and the domestic dogs and coyotes run up on the compacted snow from the sled trail and chase the deer during the winter, at this time of year.
Jel-nomobiles on selected winter ranges.

Hotwheels81
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Nice... that a 668? got any parts for it floatin around? send me a PM if you do!

as for ski's... nothing beats em in the fluff... good set of telemark's and a pack are all you really need... make sure when you hit the ski shop you tell em you need em for your height/weight + 75ish lb's (bag/rifle/etc). snow shoe's are what you strap on your back for when you need to walk thru the tight spot's between ski track's.... you can cover 10x more ground on ski's then shoe's.

Lone Ranger
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I use Atlas 1030's, for when snow is more than around 18 inches. Nothing but great things to say about these shoes

http://media.rei.com/media/l/1193096.jpg

We have a few sets of these here at the house, and my dad and I go hiking with them every year. They work great, lightweight, and offer a good enough compromise between deep snow and packed snow. I have found, however, they can flounder a bit in really really deep powder, especially if you're carrying gear. Kinda predictable though. LR

Camp Cook
02-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I use Tubb 36" Mountain show shoes for winter hunting/hiking here is a pic from this last Saturday's walk.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/559/medium/Feb_07_2009_Snow_Shoe_Trip_010.jpg