PDA

View Full Version : Moose Rut?

PGKris
10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey new guy here just wondered if any of you were from up around PG and know anything about the rut. Or have any suspicions. We were out all weekend in 7-24 and we didn't see a single moose. Lots of fresh tracks but no animals yet. It was so quiet it was ridiculous. Nothing moving. We figure the rut hasn't even begun to start yet. This time last year (Oct 2nd) I had three moose come to my calls in one morning. Any ideas? Thanks
KRIS

MB_Boy
10-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Kris.......I am not positive about your area, but for the most part the rut should be in full swing right now pretty much right through the province I would tend to think. Unless it has been a bit warm up in the PG area as different types of weather will sometimes slow it down.

Foxer
10-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I think it's a little delayed this year for some reason. The moose havne't been moving or acting as rutty as they normally are where i've been. Must be the warm weather and sun.

Ken
10-05-2005, 12:03 PM
The moose are cranked right up right now, I called in 5 bulls in 2 days before we took one on sunday night

partsman
10-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Well I will be in 7-06 Saturday afternoon, they better be around for me to see.

Mauser98
10-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey new guy here just wondered if any of you were from up around PG and know anything about the rut. Or have any suspicions. We were out all weekend in 7-24 and we didn't see a single moose. Lots of fresh tracks but no animals yet. It was so quiet it was ridiculous. Nothing moving. We figure the rut hasn't even begun to start yet. This time last year (Oct 2nd) I had three moose come to my calls in one morning. Any ideas? Thanks
KRIS

I can't speak for the PG area but in 7-32 the moose were rutting from the time we arrived(Sept 15) to when we left(Oct 1) with only a few days of silence.

The weather, for the most part, was clear and warm enough for a few mosquitoes with a few mornings below zero(-7C was the coldest) and a scattering of showers(dust control)

The best morning was cold, low cloud and spitting rain. Two of us saw 7 bulls at separate locations. The cows were going nuts.

mark
10-05-2005, 02:18 PM
i agree with mouser, in chetwynd the moose were goin hard all late sept. check the new cutblocks in early morn, we saw lots. :)

Schmaus
10-05-2005, 08:33 PM
hey guy,

was out in 7-16 last week, the moose were definately feeling the need to breed. We did very well calling in moose. But then again we had action this year right off the opening weekend. In my opinion the moose are winding down now if anything.

Thunderstix
10-05-2005, 08:36 PM
There is not alot of movement around here but we did call one out with my coffee-can-string on Sunday on the Skeena River (LEH) and killed him dead! My buddy cow called 3 times with it and out he came right at him.....bang! Will post pics in a few days.

Jagermeister
10-05-2005, 08:50 PM
PGKris,

Game on. I would say that the rut has been on for a week.

Find a spot, preferably on the edge of a older logging slash about the middle afternoon (3 pm on), try to be concealed. After you have settled into your spot for about 15 minutes, start cow calling at about 4 min intervals for about 20 mins or so, always in the same direction. after the last cow call, wait a few minutes, then do a bull grunt from the opposite side, then wait. You may get an answer and then you may not. Some times they just walk in, maybe a snap of a twig is all you will hear. do not smoke or chew gum or snuff or slurp coffee, just stay as still as possible and keep quiet, no talking(except in very subdued whispers), coughing, farting, okay,maybe you can slip one out, but no noise. If after half an hour goes by and no response, repeat the process.
If you are going to hunt out the Willow river, bowron or slender lake area, keep a head up for grizzly, they like horny cow moose too. I recommend that you hunt with a partner at your side in this situation. 2 sets of eyes and ears better than one and the after job is much easier also.

moosecaller
10-05-2005, 10:20 PM
The moose are rutting hard, no problem just be patient and you will get them coming. In the last 4 days I have had 8 bulls answer and come to my call and had two cows with calves come in and a single cow, the single called back to me hoping to get some I think.

PGKris
10-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys. We were thinking they should be in full swing too but where we are (north of summit lake) there was absolutely no action as of tuesday morning when we went out. Every year that we've had a big bull draw for that area we have never come out empty handed. Dad's going back out tonight for the evening and fri morning hunt so he might get into them. I heard the same thing about 7-16........moose going hard across the highway. Not where we were. Thanks again
KRIS

(PS Jagermeister: We're not rookies)

moosecaller
10-06-2005, 12:40 PM
The other thing is all the bug kill logging that has gone on. The hunting spot that you had moose up the ying yang in the past have moved to less disturbed areas. Maybe time to look for newer areas?

PGKris
10-07-2005, 10:35 PM
No logging in our area. It's all 10-15 year old pine with some mature poplar/spruce jungle thrown in. Just growing up stuff. Hasn't been any logging in a while. Dad saw 2 good sized cows yesterday but it looks like we're done there for now.
KRIS

bushape
10-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey,

Just got back from 6-02 thurs night. Rut just started Mon or Tue.

Got 3!

rock
10-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Just came back from 7-16, rut seemed to be in full swing, heard lots of bulls called a few right to us, pretty exciting trip.

talver
10-16-2005, 06:12 PM
just got back from 724 and the moose are rutting up there try the 200 road pm me if you need more info