PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek 08

newhunterette
12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Well as some of you may have started reading the original thread about Peter's BOWHUNTING trip from a couple weeks ago, as the usual when I begin a thread regarding one of his trip, it usually starts off with his menu (yes photos of the food I prepare for him). For me it is the beginning with the preparation and planning of the trip from gear, type of clothing needed, food requirments, safety requirements, discussion of area before y'all even leave the driveway. Considering the hours Peter works, most of his prep is done by me so I get a chance to also feel like I am part of the trip even though I am not going along.

The trip began on time until they hit Princeton and had truck trouble (Chris - HBC lefty), the transmission blew on his truck. There was talk about what was going to happen to continue on the trip. Their other buddy (Ray - lurks on HBC but not sure if he has a screenname) who was joining them ended up picking them up in his truck, leaving Chris's truck with the mechanic.

Off to thier chosen spot as Ray has set up the camp earlier on. I received one last phone call just before the cell range disappeared to say all was okay.

The hunts begin, the weather is great day one, weather changes rapidly as an ice rain warning come into effect, cold and quite rainy, wet and freezing making hunting quite noisy. Peter describes the ground like walking and crushing cornflakes under your feet. Got so cold the cameras wouldn't work and the truck was basically stopping where ever it ended up and the boys learned how to boot skate.

Peter was lucky one day he saw a few does, they were behind him in his tree stand so of course not possible to take a shot at. He did meet up with some HBC members who did take down a doe but had a slight bit of trouble locating it. Peter knew exactly where it ended up, Under his treestand. He went with them to show them where the doe was. I believe "onesock" knows a little more to this part as was his hunting party with the doe under the tree stand :)

But then Peter also met up with another hunting party that took quite a nice white tail buck. The story goes the hunter (I do not know who he is, hoping he is a member of HBC and will post up). He was sitting in his tree stand when this big buck came within 20 yards of him, he took aim, thought he was in the right place, took the shot and poof Buck was a running. He thought to himself how could I miss from that range (he shoots a compound bow). Apparently he did not miss but the shot he took was quite the tale as he shot the back leg of the buck and as they followed the blood trail across the creek, they found this massive specimen missing his hind foot. Peter called it the Achilles Buck. (8pt with 5" brow tines)

Now the boys did not get a deer, as much as Peter would have loved to take a deer with his bow, he also knows we have plenty of meat in the freezer so it wasn't a disappointment as any hunting trip is about the adventure not just the harvest.

After packing up and driving back to Ray's place, Chris find's out his truck will not be ready until Wednesday (this is sunday) and that his wife had been invovled in a serious car accident (lucky she was not badly injured but with lots of bumps and bruises and stiffness). Peter decides he will come home by Greyhound (another adventure of course as he has never taken the bus before).

Oh by the way, they enjoyed all the food I prepared, however I have to do a little adjustment on portions, some guys just can't eat like peter does :) (always learning)

I am posting the pics of the big buck but I have removed the hunter from the pic as I do not know his identity, if it happens to be the buck you were so lucky to have harvested, please pipe up.(I do have this buck on video, but I will not post the video without permission from the owner of the buck)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/animals/croppeddeer.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/animals/croppeddeer2.jpg

goatdancer
12-15-2008, 01:53 PM
That is one awesome buck. Thank for the pics Ali. Too bad for Peter and the boys but that's hunting. There's always next year. Maybe if they were a little hungrier?????:biggrin::biggrin:

oldtimer
12-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Nice looking buck !
Thanks very much for the update Ali and glad every one made it home safe and sound. Also nothing wrong with big portions ( leftovers ) Mike

newhunterette
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
That is one awesome buck. Thank for the pics Ali. Too bad for Peter and the boys but that's hunting. There's always next year. Maybe if they were a little hungrier?????:biggrin::biggrin:
well jeepers I am learning - not all men can pack away a meal like Peter :) - with him it is always a great adventure no matter what happens

Nice looking buck !
Thanks very much for the update Ali and glad every one made it home safe and sound. Also nothing wrong with big portions ( leftovers ) Mike
Yes, Mike, apparently there was steak and eggs for breakfast, I didn't thik them steaks were all that big

I know this buck isn't big in body but sure is pretty :)

Will
12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Some were waiting for an update.......Thanks.

That is a Real Pretty Buck ! :cool:

blaker_99
12-15-2008, 06:32 PM
that sure is a great buck. Would love to see the video.....

rock
12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
nice looking buck, great pics

todbartell
12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
congrats to Peter for nailing such a hawg!!!!

huntcoop
12-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Was she the brunette waitress at the Rock Creek Inn?

newhunterette
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM

umm did you not read the post - peter never got the Buck someone else did - he just video taped it and talked to them and took pics - believe me if he had come home with that beauty it would already be at Ganders to be mounted

The MAN
12-15-2008, 08:36 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Coyote
12-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey Newhunterette I think I found the hind leg. Was it shot somewhere between 60 and 70 km on the mainline.

'yote

newhunterette
12-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey Newhunterette I think I found the hind leg. Was it shot somewhere between 60 and 70 km on the mainline.

'yote

I am not sure the location but I will find out lol funny to find the leg of a critter