PDA

View Full Version : Deer trapping in Pemberton.

tooty
12-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Trapping is going to start up Pemberton for deer.They will be fitted with a tiny transmitter on a ear and data will be sent to a reciever for about a year.The local gun club will be doing most of the work,so if you are a member and want to be involved with a great project get out there.There will be no tranq's,all hands on cowboying,so be ready to get dirty and bruised.You guys are going to have so much fun.

12-14-2008, 08:54 PM
who is in charge of that?
to get ahold of?

Gateholio
12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, we were rigging the traps today. I got there a little late due to a frozen pipe, but the traps look pretty cool. Pre baiting started this afternoon.

The Pemberton Wildlife Assoc is doing most of this. You can get in touch with them through me, I know the president quite well. :)

Gilmore
12-14-2008, 09:13 PM
The Pemberton Wildlife Assoc is doing most of this. You can get in touch with them through me, I know the president quite well. :)

Heard he's a bit of a headcase, but apparantly the Vice-President is a real handsome fellow.:wink:

We repaired and rigged 6 traps today and some scouting and more baiting will start tommorow. It's going to be interesting, we did the same thing about 15 years ago but I wasn't to involved with the club then so I'm looking forward to this new adventure.

lilhoss
12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
excuse my ingnorance,but why are they trapping deer and tagging them?Just for general info on movement,behavior,etc?Coming from an area where the blacktail population is very low due to no winter habitat,predators,etc.,what is the end result of your project?

Gateholio
12-14-2008, 10:15 PM
The end result would be to better asses hunting seasons for the area.

For quite a few years now, the PWA has operated a deer counter on the main spring migration trail. In recent years a couple of trail cameras have been added.

The ear tags on the deer will show movements of the deer, and a better understanding of how many deer are resident deer and how many are migratory.

But yes, you are correct- There are NO deer in Pemberton :)

lip_ripper00
12-14-2008, 10:37 PM
The end result would be to better asses hunting seasons for the area.

For quite a few years now, the PWA has operated a deer counter on the main spring migration trail. In recent years a couple of trail cameras have been added.

The ear tags on the deer will show movements of the deer, and a better understanding of how many deer are resident deer and how many are migratory.

But yes, you are correct- There are NO deer in Pemberton :)

Hhhhmmmm tell us more:tongue:

Gateholio
12-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Hhhhmmmm tell us more:tongue:

It's the SPRING migration trail..:tongue:

lip_ripper00
12-14-2008, 11:02 PM
It's the SPRING migration trail..:tongue:

I have seen a copy of the moose migration trail in region 7, any wonder why guides set up shop in some areas?:shock:

mrdoog
12-15-2008, 12:26 AM
"The end result would be to better asses"

Oh ya baby, it's all about the asses.

Gateholio
12-15-2008, 12:40 AM
So much can change, when you drop an S off the end:-P

hunter1947
12-15-2008, 05:59 AM
It is a nice thing that your local gun club gets involved in projects like this ,its nice to give back something in return as a hunter ,good for you and your club.

proguide66
12-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Heard he's a bit of a headcase, but apparantly the Vice-President is a real handsome fellow.:wink:

We repaired and rigged 6 traps today and some scouting and more baiting will start tommorow. It's going to be interesting, we did the same thing about 15 years ago but I wasn't to involved with the club then so I'm looking forward to this new adventure.

Probbaly a good idead for you two to do this , might be the only way you guys get a deer this year...:wink:
oh...and try not to pull any freaky crap with the TWO of you squeezing into the same trap naked ....again.....:shock:

Gateholio
12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
How do you think I got my girlfriend? I used one of these traps, with candy for bait.:smile:

Dannybuoy
12-15-2008, 12:28 PM
How do you think I got my girlfriend? I used one of these traps, with candy for bait.:smile:

Sad part is ....this is probably true !:smile:

* note* no disrespect intended towards Gates gf

proguide66
12-15-2008, 12:53 PM

Soo true no doubt.......I'll also bet Gilmore is placeing beer and massage oil in a trap to lure you in as we speak!:eek::eek:...lol...or does he even have to LURE anymore??.......:razz:

Ehv
12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
So Gate, are you the Master Baiter & is your son coming down to help with your baiting? :confused:

Gateholio
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
So Gate, are you the Master Baiter & is your son coming down to help with your baiting? :confused:

That would be my dad!:razz:

Anyway, this is going to be a great project, anyone interested in helping out and/or getting on the email list for work parties, let me know.

Probably should get this thread back on track....;)

Tank
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Very cool! I hope that someone is going to be taking pictures!

wolverine
12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Trapping is going to start up Pemberton for deer.They will be fitted with a tiny transmitter on a ear and data will be sent to a reciever for about a year.The local gun club will be doing most of the work,so if you are a member and want to be involved with a great project get out there.There will be no tranq's,all hands on cowboying,so be ready to get dirty and bruised.You guys are going to have so much fun.

Let me know when you guys start doing that with bears. I wanna have a big bowl of popcorn ready for that one!:tongue:

Gilmore
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Probably should get this thread back on track....;)

Mods...:roll::roll::roll:

Gilmore
02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Here is an update for those who were interested.

The deer aren't real co-operative this year and only 1 trap seems to be consistently getting deer to come and check out the bait. Unfortuantely we also seem to be getting nothing but repeat customers in this trap now. I guess they like the free meal and don't mind spending the night knowing someone will come and let them out in the morning!

Lack of snow is our main problem, it's keeping the deer higher up the mountain and spread out as well. Access to these areas is really tough especially if your packing a 75# 6'x4' trap along with bait and shovels and whatever else is needed. But the guys are working hard at it and it just may take a little longer than we hoped. Here are a few pics for you.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/DSC00585-1-1.jpg

Hey we got one!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/DSC00587-1.jpg

The trap collapsed onto the deer.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/DSC00589-1.jpg

This is a little buck and he's ready to go. The tag on the right of the photo shows the little antenna that will let us know when and if he passes by the counter this spring.

Th0r
02-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Cool project. Good for you guys.

Mtn Wonderer
02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
that really cool!!!! good luck and keep at it.

cainer
02-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Deer wrasslin' sounds like fun!

PGK
02-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Out of curiousity, how long did you give them to get accustomed to walking in and out of the trap?

Gateholio
02-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Deer wrasslin' sounds like fun!

You can join the fun if you want. Volunteers needed!

cainer
02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
-i'm interested-What days do you guys go out?

proguide66
02-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Here is an update for those who were interested.

The deer aren't real co-operative this year and only 1 trap seems to be consistently getting deer to come and check out the bait. Unfortuantely we also seem to be getting nothing but repeat customers in this trap now. I guess they like the free meal and don't mind spending the night knowing someone will come and let them out in the morning!

Lack of snow is our main problem, it's keeping the deer higher up the mountain and spread out as well. Access to these areas is really tough especially if your packing a 75# 6'x4' trap along with bait and shovels and whatever else is needed. But the guys are working hard at it and it just may take a little longer than we hoped. Here are a few pics for you.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/DSC00585-1-1.jpg

Hey we got one!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/DSC00587-1.jpg

The trap collapsed onto the deer.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/DSC00589-1.jpg

This is a little buck and he's ready to go. The tag on the right of the photo shows the little antenna that will let us know when and if he passes by the counter this spring.
I think if he gets caught again its obvious he wants to come home with us.So lets keep the 'little bucky' in your barn , pump him full of steroids for 4 yrs and see what we can create !:lol::lol::twisted:

Panda
02-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Who's the MOE biologist on this one? Reynolds?

Gateholio
02-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Who's the MOE biologist on this one? Reynolds?

yes, Darryl Reynolds. He wants as many deer tagged as possible.

This was a project I was really looking forward to, and I can't participate due to injured knee...But more volunteers are needed, if interested.