PDA

View Full Version : advice for new waterfowler

motonl93
12-14-2008, 11:07 AM
This may seem like a 'no brainer'....but here it goes!
Being new to waterfowling (always a large game hunter out east) I have been struggling with the most effective and humane method to kill birds i have shot and retrived? I'm sure everyone has their 'best method..any advice?

M

mark
12-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Let me get this straight??? You shoot them, retrieve them... and then wonder how to kill them???? :confused:

Shotgun used to work good for me!

mad_mallard
12-14-2008, 11:34 AM
L.O.L, I believe your reffering to the odd cripple! the most common and quickest way I know of is to wring the neck.Definitely not for the squeamish,but if your hunting your obviously not(I HOPE).Hold the bird by the head and give a quick twirl with a snap of the wrist.quick and humane as one can be.Your only other option being use a bigger shotgun!!!

Crazy_Farmer
12-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Multiple ways really.

Wringing the neck is what most people do. Just hold the head and swing the body around till you know the neck has cracked.

You can also take the largest wing feather and at the back of the head above the neck theres a soft spot, you can stick the needle end of the feather right into the brain for a very quick death, though they're dead they sometimes twitch for a minute of so.

You can also either swing their bodies and hit their head on a fencepost or anything hard, you can also bite their heads and crush em(not for the squeamish :shock:)

If the bird is mount worthy you can flip it upside down on the ground of a hard surface and put your knee into the back, enough pressure to hear the back crack a few times and you'll also crush the air out of them. Thats one of the ways to not disturb any feathers.

A big thing is to just touch their eyes after. Any living thing will still blink if its alive, when they dont blink they're dead.

dutchie
12-14-2008, 12:20 PM
You can also either swing their bodies and hit their head on a fencepost or anything hard, you can also bite their heads and crush em(not for the squeamish :shock:)

:eek:Wow!!!:shock: i have never hear of this method before... but i guess it works!

I have had a few brids that just will not die after i had cracked thier necks... so what I have had to do is sufficate them by using my duck carring nuse and crimping that down. That sucked have only had to do that maybe 3 times out of all the birds I have killed.

Last night I rang a mallards neck and the head came off. This has happened once before last night aswell. Both were resident Mallard Drakes. probbaly the worst final kill i have ever made.

dutchie

Marc
12-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Last night I rang a mallards neck and the head came off. This has happened once before last night aswell. Both were resident Mallard Drakes. probbaly the worst final kill i have ever made.

dutchie

Sometimes you hit them in the neck severing their neck and it doesn't take much to twist the skin off. I've had a few heads fall off as well.

Other then using a denser pattern on them ringing their necks is the most humane and quickest way to dispatch them besides putting another shot into them on the water if they're trying to get away.

mattchu_19
12-14-2008, 01:41 PM
the old Duck Commander way, use your eye teeth and crush their skull.

Crazy_Farmer
12-14-2008, 02:16 PM
the old Duck Commander way, use your eye teeth and crush their skull.

Nothing like a little duck blood and brains to wake you up in the morning. :tongue:

dutchie

Yep if you keep wringing its neck too much it'll finally pop off. Done it a couple times when I was younger.

Ian F.
12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
If it's a mounter, use the suffocate method.

I like the Audobon thump! yes it is named after John James Audoban who invented it. Hold the bird with the wings tucked in, breast between your thumbs. Now swing the bird so the head goes THUMP! against something hard, even your gun stock. Usually 1 hit will do it, minimal damage to the bird. Neck wringing works half the time and well, not my favourite.

Ian

sneg
12-15-2008, 09:02 AM
bang head against something hard. work every time.quick and humane method.

huntwriter
12-16-2008, 12:23 AM
you can also bite their heads and crush em(not for the squeamish :shock:)

Did you ever vist a live Ozzy Osbourne concert.:shock::shock:

duckkiller
12-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Shoot it again.

porcupine
12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I bought a tool called a "Necker" many years ago from Waterfowl Specialties in the states. You put the birds neck in between the two ends and squeeze. it breaks and crushes the birds neck, but does not break the skin or decapitate the bird.
________
BlueTec (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/BlueTec)

branthunter
12-18-2008, 05:27 PM
There's a right and a wrong way to wring a neck. If you grab the neck to wring it, it takes several rotations before it breaks and sometimes it doesn't. The best way is to grab the head so that no part of your thumb/pointer finger grip is touching the neck ---again, grab ONLY the head---and one - two hard rotations will snap the neck clean at the base of the skull (this applies for ducks or geese). Obviously the bigger the bird the bigger the rotation you have to make.

porcupine
12-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Here's one link to find a bird necker. Mine works really well and doesn't gross out people who make be watching.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Bird-Equipment/Lion-Country-Bird-Necker.html
________
herbal vaporizer forum (http://vaporizer.org/forum/herbal-vaporizers/)

sparkes3
12-21-2008, 03:40 PM
keep shooting til its stops twitchin

Theo722
12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm also a new waterfowler and have had to come to grips with the same problem.
First duck I retrieved the head popped of as I wrenched it by the head back and forth twice.
The next 4 or 5 criples I tried to suffocate by pressing down on their chest to force the air out and cover the nostrils to suffocate but the darn things can hold their breath for an awfull long time. So I started to wring their neck 3 or 4 times to snap it good.
That seemed to work till one came back flapping in the back of the truck on my way home about an hour later.
Then got told to whack them on the head on my shotgun butstock.
Worked every time.