PDA

View Full Version : almost missed the rut!

mwj
12-14-2008, 10:16 AM
this year work kept me at home until the whitetail rut was almost done. as soon as i could i loaded the camper and off i went.
the first day hunting i saw some does and a 4-point that had one antler broken off just above the browtine.
day two i headed to my favorite hole. i got there just at daylight to discover logging slash! my favorite honey-hole was just logging slash lol.:shock:
i didn't know what to do. i drove a little further and hiked into the woods.
well it got steeper and steeper til i kept falling on my face in the new snow. said to myself this is no good and headed sidehill and pretty soon the hillside started to break-up into ridges and gullies.
i started my usual whitetail hunting technique which is basically just sitting till i can't stand it any more and then moving to the next good looking spot and maybe grunting a bit.
the morning was getting on and i was running out of patience, i hadn't seen a deer yet and it was 11:30. and then i heard it, a deer is coming.(no sic comments please) then i see him, a decent buck nose down doing the dogtrot along the little ridge below me. i wait (the ridge is pretty thick and i want to get a good look at him) when he gets into an open spot i grunt and he stops in his tracks. of course there's one peckerpole that blocks the perfect lung shot so i line up on his neck and let fly with the 7mm and he drops like a sack of hammers lol.

mwj
12-14-2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/364.JPG

mwj
12-14-2008, 10:26 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/359.JPG

12-14-2008, 10:29 AM
A nice BC Whitey!
Congrats, I wish I had a spot for W/T, time away and distance from Lower mainland make it pretty hard.
Learn your new spot, it is obviously a good one.
CT

Will
12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Nice Buck !
Looks heavy too.....that driver's side main curls in a fair bit !
Congrats ! :cool:

Nimrod
12-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Nice whitey,congrats
looks tall, that G2 must be 11 or 12"
fun stuff.

Gateholio
12-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Nice buck!

Be sure to enter the HBC contest! :)

rifleman
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
yeah thats a beauty, nice & heavy. way to go

kennyj
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Thats a good one! Nice tall tines.
kenny

mwj
12-14-2008, 11:44 AM
thanks guys,
longest tine is 10.5 and the tips of the main beams are 4" apart.
the drag out was steep with lots of blowdowns. when i got to the edge of the slash/logging rd a truck went by, imust have looked kind of disheveled cause they asked if i was all right. course i said i was great and they never noticed the buck laying behind me lol

cainer
12-14-2008, 12:15 PM
good armor on that buck-gotta like closing out the season with a nice whitey! Good work!

Rattler
12-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Nice job! That is a beauty buck.

Brambles
12-14-2008, 12:49 PM
very nice buck, looks like very nice country you got there.

Chuck
12-14-2008, 03:16 PM
That's just a perfect outcome and exactly how I've loved to hunt those sneaky little beggars most of my life. And if nobody heard the shot - no one's the wiser.
I actually enjoy hiding behind trees and watching the road hunters go roaring by, radio blaring and hollering above it to hear each other - beer cans flying and tires spinning. Little knowing that they're flying past the good whitetail hunting. Lol.

BlacktailStalker
12-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Thats a real nice whitie Mark.
Gotta get myself a good one soon.

winbuckhunter
12-14-2008, 09:56 PM
gotta love those dark whity racks... beauty whitey

congrats

hunter1947
12-15-2008, 06:46 AM
thanks guys,
longest tine is 10.5 and the tips of the main beams are 4" apart.
the drag out was steep with lots of blowdowns. when i got to the edge of the slash/logging rd a truck went by, imust have looked kind of disheveled cause they asked if i was all right. course i said i was great and they never noticed the buck laying behind me lol

Thats funny Mark about them asking if you where alright :lol: ,you probably looked exhausted when dragging the deer out.

That is a very nice WT buck you got mark ,he still looks like he has the meat left on him.
Congrats to you on getting this fine WT buck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif,you don't get them much better from up that way.