PDA

View Full Version : binocs or scope?

shadowhunter
12-13-2008, 11:59 PM
If you were hunting deer on a limited budget would you rather spend your money on a good quality scope or binoculars? lets say 400$

rishu_pepper
12-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Let's just say you use bino's A LOT more than you use a scope (in the field).

Gateholio
12-14-2008, 12:41 AM
If you were hunting deer on a limited budget would you rather spend your money on a good quality scope or binoculars? lets say 400$

Tough question in many respects. If it was binos or spotting scope, the answer is easy- Binos.

A rifle scope is an aiming device. It doesn't have to have perfect optics, but it must hold it's zero.

Don't cheap out on it, but if you have limited cash,get the binos and lok into affordable but quality scopes. Burris and Nikon have a few.

A good quality but used scope is a better buy than a new, but poor quality scope, keep that in mind.

shadowhunter
12-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Let's just say you use bino's A LOT more than you use a scope (in the field).
i meant spotting scope but good imput

shadowhunter
12-14-2008, 01:13 AM
or never mind i meant a rifle but thats fine got to learn to get my lines straight

rishu_pepper
12-14-2008, 09:23 AM
I don't think one uses a spotting scope much for deer hunting, at least not in my experience. Mostly for sheeps.

eaglesnester
12-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Get yourself a good set of field glasses. You will use them every few minutes while in the field and you will not be prone or have the desire to use your scope as a set of binoculars. A very unsafe and unethical practice in the field. Save your money and when you get enough buy the best rifle scope you can afford. Do not cheap out on your scope, you get what you pay for. In the mean time if you can not afford to buy a scope use iron sights and learn how to shoot with them. Most shots are taken at less than 100 yards anyway so iron sights are not as big a hinderence as you might think. Being an old school shooter and retired US military, iron sights are no big deal to learn to shoot with. A spotting scope is a nice thing to have on the range to see bullet holes in the targets. As for using it hunting you will probably not find too many opportunities unless you are hunting in the mountains. A spotter is almost a must have item then. Here again do not cheap out. The headaches and eye strain just are not worth it. A good spotter will set you back over $1000.00 Cdn. Just my two cents.
Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

bckev
12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I would go with the binocs. It depends on the terrain you are hunting in. A spotting scope is great if you are looking a long ways and then plan to hike to what ever you find. But if you are hunting in close terrain, good bino's are the only way to go. A good example is an elk I called in this year. Early light, cheap bino's I couldn't see to count points. I could see better with my eyes (it was a five point by the way). My two cents.

Brizz
12-15-2008, 10:30 AM
If your on a budget I find the Vortex Diamondbacks to be an awesome set of bino's. They can be had for $250 (taxes in) from Bird's Unlimited and I find them much better than the more expensive Nikon Monarchs. I hear the Vortex Vipers are amazing and I believe they are around $400. The warantee on Vortex products is very good and I think that is pretty important with bino's as they can get knocked around a bit when around your neck.

Bow Walker
12-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I secound the Vortex binos. I've had a pair for a few years now and am well pleased with them. Also - Vortex's warranty is water tight. They will replace or repair for life....and, that warranty goes with the product if you sell/trade/giveaway. It doesn't diminish with the age of the product.

Vortex Diamondback scopes retail for around $220, same guarantee. You can get both binos and riflescope for your budget.

blackwater
12-15-2008, 10:55 AM
On a budget: $400 will get you both bino & rifle scope that are very servicable. Bushnell 3200 3-9x are often around $200 or less. Look for a Bino in the roof prism style (dog-leg look), they are usually better optics than a similarly priced roof prism. Both Pentax and Bushnell make decent ones for less than $200.

Downtown
12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Get yourself a good set of field glasses. You will use them every few minutes while in the field and you will not be prone or have the desire to use your scope as a set of binoculars. A very unsafe and unethical practice in the field. Save your money and when you get enough buy the best rifle scope you can afford. Do not cheap out on your scope, you get what you pay for. In the mean time if you can not afford to buy a scope use iron sights and learn how to shoot with them. Most shots are taken at less than 100 yards anyway so iron sights are not as big a hinderence as you might think. Being an old school shooter and retired US military, iron sights are no big deal to learn to shoot with. A spotting scope is a nice thing to have on the range to see bullet holes in the targets. As for using it hunting you will probably not find too many opportunities unless you are hunting in the mountains. A spotter is almost a must have item then. Here again do not cheap out. The headaches and eye strain just are not worth it. A good spotter will set you back over $1000.00 Cdn. Just my two cents.
Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Actually I think this is many Dollars worth of good advice.

rishu_pepper
12-15-2008, 05:34 PM
On a budget: $400 will get you both bino & rifle scope that are very servicable. Bushnell 3200 3-9x are often around $200 or less. Look for a Bino in the roof prism style (dog-leg look), they are usually better optics than a similarly priced roof prism. Both Pentax and Bushnell make decent ones for less than $200.

Good advice for the budget.

I got a Nikon Monarch for a tad under $200 USD (back when the dollar was par) and it's good for its price.

shadowhunter
12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
thanks for he info guys very appreciated,

shadowhunter

steelheadSABO
12-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Thats tricky if you have to look through binos to see your target its probably to far to hit with open sights but id say binos anyway you get alot more use out of them:)

Downtown
01-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Experienced Hunters use Binoculars allmost continuosly, Scope and Knife not nearly as much --- this should answer your question.