PDA

View Full Version : Elk relocation

tooty
12-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Well it's elk trapping season on the sunshine coast again.We had some elk checkout some bait piles on the top end of the coast.But they were not coming in consistently,not cold enough.But now with the weather change,snowing out my window right now that should bring them in.We've moved about 200 elk elk so far over the years.It feels good doing something positive and watching the new elk herds grow.New lehs are being added every year.Monster trophy bulls are out there.I see them,I touch them.

Dad and son
12-13-2008, 09:49 PM
What are the locations the elk are going to be transplanted this year? I know elk were recently transported to the upper Pitt River.

xcaribooer
12-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Where can we find updates on how the projects are going?

12-13-2008, 11:04 PM
A great thing to be involved with Tooty, good on you and those others asssisting!
I hope I draw a Rosie one day.
CT

bubba350
12-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Well it's elk trapping season on the sunshine coast again.We had some elk checkout some bait piles on the top end of the coast.But they were not coming in consistently,not cold enough.But now with the weather change,snowing out my window right now that should bring them in.We've moved about 200 elk elk so far over the years.It feels good doing something positive and watching the new elk herds grow.New lehs are being added every year.Monster trophy bulls are out there.I see them,I touch them.

I saw lots of rosies near powell river this year. Some huge bulls(hope i can get an leh sometime) These transplants are a great thng for the species. good job keep up the good work!!!!!:-D:-D

Elkhound
12-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Catch some for me Mike. Wish I was still there to help again. Take lots of pictures...just dont get Daryl's ugly mug in there:wink::lol:

Hermen
12-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Some pics of those monsters you see would be great!:D

hunter1947
12-14-2008, 05:48 AM
Its nice you can do something like this ,I talked to a co about if the need any help to give me a call ,I think I was talking to the wrong person .

I think I will give Kim Brunt a call ,he is the head elk biologist for the island ,I would love to get involved with this kind of volunteer work.

tooty
12-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Kim's a good guy and would take your help if offered.All our elk are from the island to start with.

tooty
12-18-2008, 08:52 PM
No elk in the trap as of yet .they are very close and should be hitting the bait.Going tomorrow morning with the bio to check things out and freshen up the bait.

ElkMasterC
12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Monster trophy bulls are out there.I see them,I touch them.

Wow...wayyy too much info.

But seriously. folks, I'd volunteer for that.
I enter the LEH's so I'd be willing to come out and help.
Is help needed?
Who does one talk to?

born2hunt
12-18-2008, 09:46 PM
does bill ellis have anything to do with this program?

hunter1947
12-19-2008, 05:09 AM
Tooty take some pic of some of the bulls you touch ,then post the pic up on the forum http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

tooty
12-19-2008, 08:56 AM
does bill ellis have anything to do with this program?
No,never see him.I don't think he agrees with the program in whole.He does however have excellent pictures of bulls in the field.

cwocarsten
12-19-2008, 11:12 AM
We had some $ in our RMEF Chwk funds so we sent 3k to help with more elk relocation and enhancement. Our mbrs went along with the one at Pitt lake and it was a great experience. Many thanks to those volunteers on sunshine coast who are passionate about the Elk. We see part of the benefits when they add another LEH tag or zone on the Sechelt coast.

tooty
12-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I was on that one.Awsome to see those elk heading up the road heading to their new home.