PDA

View Full Version : no bucks again

mainland hunter
10-04-2005, 10:01 AM
went to loon lake on the weekend for 4 days. seen a pile of does but no bucks once again. i did everything right. hunted on foot all weekend watched the wind and thermals. was quiet as a can be got in some great areas that i thought for sure would pay off but no luck. i have had very little luck with mule deer. is it best to just road hunt for these things or what do most of you find to be the most successfull way to harvest a buck besides hiking way into the alpine.

Kirby
10-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Road hunting sucks... Keep on foot, get back off the roads. Mulies will use ridges for bedding on, and move up and down them, spend the morning and evenings, glassing seim-open ridges, and draws, once you locate where the deer are moving, and how, you'll have a better idea where to hunt through.

Kirby

willyqbc
10-04-2005, 11:21 AM
i'm gonna agree and dis-agree with Kirby. best method in my opinion depends on what your after. I'm copying tthis from another post in the bowhunting section

"cover ground for quantity.....still hunt for quality:D

at least thats been my observation up here in region five. If your just looking for a meat buck, drive and check as many slashes as possible and you'll find one soon enough. If you want a biggun you should get back in the timber and still hunt or sit. Of course all bets are off during the rut!"

Chris

Kirby
10-04-2005, 01:04 PM
lol, true enough chris, I was thinking big boys only. For a meat buck, cover ground, watch the clear cuts, slashes.

Kirby

ruger#1
10-04-2005, 02:53 PM
hey mainland, i always go up in that area 3-30, at the last week of october. they should be migrating through there by now. the buck im my avatar was from that area. hunt the ridges, and youll also find that the bucks will hide there heads behind a bush or a tree, find a spot where they are cutting fire wood. look for deer crap, if you find black crap then the deer are eating licken from the fallen trees,hunt in that area in the morning and afternoon. if it is green then they are eating alfalfa, find that feild and hunt above it. ive seen feilds up there were the grass 10 ft in is turning yellow from the deer piss.take a doe in heat bleat ive also had bucks run in front of me like a vidio game, youll find them, a few tips my hunting spots are secerets though. ps did you stay at the white moose lodge, and if you did how much is it a night now, i might go to princeton or up there this weekend.

mainland hunter
10-04-2005, 06:55 PM
ive stayed there before for fishing but this time we camped up the dogherty lk rd at the 7km mark. i hunted a lot of treeline by the cuts and down some draws. maybe i wasnt stealth enough but ive gotten pretty close to deer before. either my eyes were off or i was just having no luck. seen tons in those alfalfa fields at night on the way in.

ruger#1
10-04-2005, 07:23 PM
mainland pm me tommorow, and ill give you a good area to go.MARK

Nothingbut7mmmag
10-04-2005, 10:06 PM
You should try up near the hihuim lake area if you want monster bucks,my brothers pulled two 4x4 monsters out of that area its good to hunt on foot instead of road hunting,just go into the forest and check what it has for you if you want trophy mule deer.

Remington
10-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I just came down from that area, went out to Hihum for a day, saw a few small bucks, but there is lots of logging going on in there right now. Checked out some of my other areas without much luck, IMO the deer have migrated out to somewhere else, there still may be the odd resident deer floating around. Where the migrate too Ive no idea. Maybe someone else on here does though....

ruger#1
10-07-2005, 08:08 PM
rem they migrate to the fraser flats. any wheres along the fraser river, at least that is what a co told me.

Freshtracks
10-07-2005, 10:02 PM
rem they migrate to the fraser flats. any wheres along the fraser river, at least that is what a co told me.

That's a long haul from Hihium to the Fraser for wintering grounds. I'm thinking they've got an area around the Thompson ... sure allot closer.

mark
10-07-2005, 10:02 PM
not yet ruger, they dont move out to the fraser till december and the loon lake deer dont even go that far, they just move towards the highway and cache creek area. ive hunted big bucks in loon lake area in late nov. lots. they just move from the high land to the low land. the bucks are there there just not active till the rut. that area gets steady pressure and dumb ones are shot out already the rest remain elusive til they get horny. Cant remember who started this thread but if you go a little north of loon lake near clinton its easy to get a buck in late october. last year i saw 8 bucks in the cross hairs in 2 days. thats my 2 cents 8)

Steeleco
10-07-2005, 10:14 PM
We just got back tonight from a long wet week at Mizzazula lake in 8-06. The weather sucked but the hunting was worse. Only shot 1 grouse and we did a lot of road driving looking for new area, and a few areas we walked and glassed all day. NADA, I guess the animals are just not on the move this week, I think the coming colder weather will help, I guess I'll have to try some local hills on day trips. Still better than a good week at work!!!

Freshtracks
10-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Ouch ... sorry to hear ... wet weather and hunting deer sucks IMO. I know some love it for blacktails and you Is. guys are use to it.:lol:

Well my plans for the long weekend are bust.:cry: Both my sons just getting over being ill ... my oldest says he's maybe into a overnighter, so I'm sitting here contemplating some options. Them overnighters can be harsh if the weather is poor :eek: ... hmmm.

Remington
10-08-2005, 12:16 AM
I saw a few forestry roads leading off the cayon highway maybe Ill have to take a few weekend trips out there in a week or so and check em out. Only problem I see out there is it looks to be a lot of straight up and down kinda terrain. I guess that would be somewhere around 3-15?