PDA

View Full Version : Today's Ice Fishing Report

Sideofabarn
12-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Went out to one of the local lakes today. Seeing as though the next few days are supposed to be pretty cold, I took the chance to get out. Roads were rather joyous with the wind and overnight snow. Anyway, I hooked a few Brookies, 2 of which were about 14 inches, and the others were around 8 or so. Found a sweet new jig that worked wonders as well. The bite was not red hot, but it was steady. The bigger guys were a blast, peeled a fair amount of line, and made a worthy account of themselves. I had to bonk one that was bleeding pretty badly, and it's the only one I took photos of. I'll post them once I clean the fish, clean myself, and find the cable so I can upload the photos. After the cold snap I'll be heading out to some of the larger lakes, and get serious about it. Gotta love hardwater season!

newhunterette
12-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Toby - no pictures hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what's the deal

Sideofabarn
12-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Dammit woman, read the whole post! I got home and had to shovel the driveway, so I've only been inside to warm up for a bit...

PGK
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Attaboy, where was my call?

Sideofabarn
12-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I thought about man, but I assumed you were "relaxing" after yesterday's exam. I'm also surprised I didn't run into you out there!

plumbob
12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Four of us went out on a local lake last sunday and had 19 in 1.5hrs nothing smaller than about a pound.

killman
12-12-2008, 10:02 PM
how thick is the ice?

PGK
12-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I thought about man, but I assumed you were "relaxing" after yesterday's exam. I'm also surprised I didn't run into you out there!

You almost did. It was in the works, I was just far too lazy. Hows the ice?

Sideofabarn
12-13-2008, 09:02 AM
You almost did. It was in the works, I was just far too lazy. Hows the ice?

The ice had two layers. There was a crust, and then a little softer for a couple of inches. The base layer was around 7-8 inches. When you get back from Nelson, we'll have to hit that lake in the Cariboo...

Browningmirage
12-13-2008, 09:38 AM
you gonna post pics big guy or what?

PGK
12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Yup. Shoulda gone. Now it's 20 below and windy. Won't get to fish for another week :( Matt are you back on the rock yet?

ianwuzhere
12-13-2008, 01:34 PM
suppose to be sunny all week but super cold- lil gravelpit is gonna have over a foot of ice by next week- fishin will prolly slow down soon like it always does..Then the bigger lakes get enuf ice to fish them for the bigguns!!!
-still waitin to see some pix!!

Steelie64
12-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Hey guys and gals. I recently moved to Kamloops from the lowerwetland and want to try some ice fishing. I don't want to know what lakes(although if you're willing to tell I'm listening or PM) to go to but would appreciate some help with how to fish. The info I need is what to use for bait or lure? and what kind of water depths should I be looking at? I have a portable fish finder would it be benificial not just for depth? As you can tell I'm a rookie at this hardwater business but I'm keen to give it a go. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Sideofabarn
12-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Ok, this old luddite is having issues resizing pictures so they can be put up on the hbc image gallery.

Instead, I uploaded them to photobucket. Now let's see if the links work for me...
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn190/sideofabarn/

NaStY
12-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Here you go...

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn190/sideofabarn/IMGP0080.jpg

Sideofabarn
12-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks Nasty, I really appreciate it. I'll figure this stuff out eventually. So as stated earlier, this was the only one I kept, and photographed. From memory, the other bigger one I released was thicker through the shoulder. I try to minimize the time they spend out of the water during winter, which is why I don't photograph too many, when I'm by myself. Anyways, you get the idea...

Browningmirage
12-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Yup. Shoulda gone. Now it's 20 below and windy. Won't get to fish for another week :( Matt are you back on the rock yet?
not yet, leaving tomorrow for the steelhead journey.

nice fish dude, they are pretty darn good in the frying pan, i kept a couple that bled my first time out, threw them on the stove, and man alive i was impressed...kept one each time out since then (usually one ends up sticking itself too deep)

PGK
12-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Woot. You'll have to let me know what jig that was. I figured a new little trick out there this year too. Brookies are predictable, if nothing else!

Steelhead pilgrimage 14 days 8) Take lots of pics man

Schmaus
12-27-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm probably heading out in the morning going to Cobb, has anyone been out there this year. I'm gonna try taking my quad just wondering how much snow there is.

Benthos
12-27-2008, 05:06 PM
was out at eena today. TONNES of guys. most were NOT catching fish (fishing crappy parts of the lake). i had a pretty good day and got 4 to the ice, lost about the same in about 2.5 hrs. biggest was a chunky 19inch, smallest was 7-8inch