PDA

View Full Version : Best HIGHLIGHT of the YEAR!!!!!

BiG Boar
12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I think this should be a great thread. I want to know what your best highlight of the year was! It could be an encounter with a grizz, or a stalk on a giant deer, or taking your evidence of sex pictures. Whatever it is I want to make this post exciting, so please indulge us.

For me it was putting the stalk on a big mulie buck after he eluded me and tracking him through fresh snow for 2 clicks, finding him a second time and putting the hammer down. Will post whole story and pics when I do the post, because I never post a story without pics.

frenchbar
12-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Mine would be my sept alpine trip with my dad ,son and freind,watching my son spot and stalk a muley and eventualy getting him.i was definatly a proud dad that day. Being out there with my dad was also awesome ,the person that showed me the way in the hunting world.nothing ive done in my life topped that week!

BiG Boar
12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow that does sound pretty awsome! I am looking forward to having a boy one day!

mark
12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
As far as hunting highlights go, seeing my soon to be wife get her first elk, seeing her take a mulie buck with a bow was a great day. I passed on a small buck that walked about 9 feet from my arrow tip, that was pretty cool also!

moosinaround
12-11-2008, 08:58 PM
For a year that did not include too many Critters harvested, one mulie buck, it was a very good season. I hunted with a couple new guys this year( HBCer's), and made some new friends. Met Newhunterette, and had her over for dinner with my family, I would say that was a highlight. I had a pretty good season calling in moose, had quite a few this year come a callin too me. I went on an elk hunt with my sister, and had bulls coming in to us, almost connected on one of them. Her excitement of that bull elk bugling at us from less than a 100 yrds was AWESOME!! It was the first time I elk hunted without my experienced buddy, so I felt it was successful! But the biggest highlight I think was when My son and I watched a big bull come in at us like a freight train, my boys eyes were pretty big when this ole guy came in! It was a season which will rank up there with some of the best ones, that being said, I am thankful for every year I am healthy enough to get out there and enjoy our beautiful province! Can't wait to out do this season next year!! Moosin

Shooter
12-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Man I had so many this year... But I would have to say one of the coolest things was taking my son on our mule deer trip this year with my buddy and his son as well. We split up and I took my son up through a cutblock whil my buddy and his sone went the other way. The wind wasn't in our favor for checking the treeline way off to our left so we took the long route and circled way around the top of the cutblock and came in from the far corner where the wind was in our face. My son had a doe tag but we still had a few days of hunting left so we were being a little picky. Well I spotted a doe bedded down about 250 yards away. Too far for a shotr that I wanted my son to take so we stalked in closer. It was the first time pulling off a stalk with my son there. It was really cool having him there to experience that side of hunting as well. We needed to belly crawl for about the last 75 yards but we managed to get into a good position about 75-100 yards away from them.. yes them.. When we got closer I noticed there was a fawn bedded down near as well. We decided this wasn't the doe for us, but we watched for awhile anyways to see if there was a buck lurking anywhere near by. There was no buck but after awhile the doe got up and started feeding. Before long she was out of sight but I knew she wasn't far as the fawn was still bedded in the same spot. So for kicks I decided to try my fawn in distress call to see what the doe would do. Well me and my son were laying prone at the edge of a burn pile so we were quite well hidden when I blew the call and when I did the fawn perked up but no doe. So I blew it again. This time the doe came running as fast as she could possibly run straight at us!! She got to within about 40-50 yards and stopped. So I blew it again. Again she ran at as and got to within 20-30 yards and figured something wasn't right. That's as close as she came but it was a real cool experience to have with my son present. One neither of us will forget anytime soon.

The other very similar highlight to that one was during the very same trip about a day later. We were walking the same cutblock again and I spotted a doe on the other side of the block staring at us. She looked to be alone but was about 600 yards away on the side of a hill. I knew we were busted but decided we would try to cover some ground fairly quickly and see if we could get into position. So as we got near where the had been we shockingly discovered that she was long gone... go figure huh? We were slowly walking along a small shelf when I decided to blow my fawn in distress call again to see if we could get some more action out of it.... Nothing..... We continued making our way slowly along the small shelf we were on heading towards a treeling when POP up over the edge pokes a doe head.... BUSTED! Staring straight at us.. only the head poking up about 80 yards away. I said to my son "GET DOWN!" and we both crouched down on our knees. as she was looking at us. I kept whispering to my son not to move a muscle when amazingly the doe started walking up over the bank directly at us. Then behind her... POP.. another doe. Then another. The second 2 had no idea we were there but the first had us pegged, we couldn't move. I whispered to my son to wait for the doe to look away before he moved for fear that if she spooked she would take them all with her. They kept walking towards us.. closer...closer... then.... POP.... BUCK!!! Trailing up behind. Oblivious to the fact we were there. After what seemed an eternity and when they were about 30 yards from us the lead doe finally turned her head for a split second and up came my rifle. ( I hoped my sons did too but as he was off to my side and slightly behind me I wasn't sure.) The lead doe caught the movement and looked back at me instantly but it was too late. Rifle was already up and safety off. Now I just needed to wait for the shot. After a second or 2 the does parted a bit and allowed for a shot at the buck which I took. My only regret on the situation was that my son didn't get a shot off at any of the does as they didn't didn't wanna stick around and see what the commotion was all about. All in all that was an awesome experience to be able to share with my son. Memories made that will last a lifetime.

2 of the many great ones this year. Also even tho they weren't his first it was again great to watch my son fill tags this year again. Makes a guy proud.

And to top off a great season I also got to take my mom out for a day trip this season which was a complete thrill for me. To have her out with me and my son's was amazing. Especially since I haven't hunted with her since I was only a couple years older than my youngest son is now. Even tho we didn't get anything it didn't matter. We saw tons of deer and had a great day out.

It was a great year this year.

bsa30-06
12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
The highlite of my season was definately taking my 4 year old son Braiden on his first grouse hunt.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/deadbuck/DSC00938.jpg?t=1229054871

Mr. Dean
12-11-2008, 09:22 PM
My best hightlights are seen in the mirror every morning. I'm one REALLY good lookin' Dude.

It's like a gift that keeps on giving. :smile:

killman
12-11-2008, 09:23 PM
My highlight would like most include my kids. Bought them a mini henry .22 this summer and just seeing them shooting it and interested in the whole idea. Also a little funny, I took them out for a drive one day with there gun, we were driving through a little block when Emma my youngest (6) yells there is something. I jam on the breaks and scan the block, I see nothing. Where I said, right there! where! finally I look down and see this little porcupine scampering away. I said that's a porcupine. She says "can I shoot it?"

Jelvis
12-11-2008, 09:28 PM
My highlights this season was seeing new hunters getting their first deer and getting to know them through pm's and seeing their posts about getting their first nice buck.
Next season will be even better now that they have a spot to go to with confidence.
You new hunters did absolutely fantastic and this is the highlights of 2008 for me and many others.
Thanks again for your enthusiasm
Jel---next season will be even better.

Mr. Dean
12-11-2008, 09:44 PM
My highlights this season was seeing new hunters getting their first deer and getting to know them through pm's and seeing their posts about getting their first nice buck.
Next season will be even better now that they have a spot to go to with confidence.
You new hunters did absolutely fantastic and this is the highlights of 2008 for me and many others.
Thanks again for your enthusiasm
Jel---next season will be even better.

Jelly, that's not fair. Looking at your threads, you directed people to hunt up ALL of BC.... Nearly every square inch of it.

A guy that sat back and did nothing, offered up about the same amount of help. :razz: :wink:

Salty
12-11-2008, 09:47 PM
For me it was putting the stalk on a big mulie buck after he eluded me and tracking him through fresh snow for 2 clicks, finding him a second time and putting the hammer down. Will post whole story and pics when I do the post, because I never post a story without pics.

WTF,, you just did :razz:

Jelvis
12-11-2008, 09:50 PM
I hear yah---but you know it's great hunting everywhere in B.C. so a person can't go wrong. lol.
Next years leh draws will be a mad house.
Jelly-roll

Bow Walker
12-11-2008, 10:03 PM
For me it was this season's bow hunting endeavours. I missed one early, I saw several others, I let three walk because of poor shot presentation (one of them a nice chunky 3-point), and I finally managed to 'harvest' a very decent meat deer for the freezer. What a rush this season has been. Can't wait for next year!

Brambles
12-11-2008, 10:19 PM
seeing my soon to be wife get her first elk!

SOON TO BE WIFE, awesome guys, good to hear......CONGRATULATIONS

todbartell
12-11-2008, 10:23 PM
my highlight would be opening morning of elk, having two 6 point bulls bugling like mad within 50 yards of us in the timber. Life doesn't get much better than that!

Ron.C
12-11-2008, 10:24 PM
I'd say my breif starring contest with a Grizzly with bow in left hand, pepper spray in right. It all ended harmlessly enough but I don't think I've ever had an adrealine rush like that. In hindsight, it was definitely the most exciting and at the same time most terrifying few minutes I have ever had in the woods. I won't soon forget it.

BCbillies
12-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Nailing a grizz at 35 yards . . . having him react like a dragon spraying fire (blood) out of its mouth and nose . . . then having him come full tilt straight at us . . . followed by two more rounds of lead at 13 yards to end the flurry! If this wasn't enough we ended the evening with a good hike out in the dark in this grizzly infested area. I can't speak for TSW but I hardly slept a wink that night. We'll be back! :smile:

Krico
12-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Mine's a toss up between getting my first turkey before 6am the first day I ever hunted them and calling in my first bull elk...which unfortunately was a big 5...fun nonetheless!

Big7
12-12-2008, 12:10 AM
I was fortunate enough to cape out two whitetail bucks in Saskatchewan - my brother-in-law and wife's Uncle's first WT buck!! I didn't tag out but had a hell of a time bonding with the "family"!!!

TSW
12-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Nailing a grizz at 35 yards . . . having him react like a dragon spraying fire (blood) out of its mouth and nose . . . then having him come full tilt straight at us . . . followed by two more rounds of lead at 13 yards to end the flurry! If this wasn't enough we ended the evening with a good hike out in the dark in this grizzly infested area. I can't speak for TSW but I hardly slept a wink that night. We'll be back! :smile:

BCBillies, you stole my highlight...that's ok I guess, since it was your hunt!
My other highlight would be my alpine goat hunt with a couple of good friends. Some great times spent in some truly beautiful country...and a couple of g-bears to make things interesting.

And like I read in another thread, I'm just thankful to be healthy enough to get out and do this stuff.

TSW

showtimebc
12-12-2008, 12:51 AM
my hilight for the season was when 2 of best friends came for a deer hunt (newbies who had never hunted before) and both of them ended up with their first bucks! my girlfriend was also able to get a buck on that trip! 3 bucks in 3 days, it was a blast!

The Dawg
12-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Hearing a bull moose kicking the snot out of a tree less than 20 yards from us, then trying to sneak round for a clear shot, and having him disappear without a glimpse just as fast as he snuck in...that was incredible.

A close second was a "very technical" quad ride :)

Thanks Moosin!

hunter1947
12-12-2008, 04:28 AM
My HL of the year would have to be the big grizzly bear that came into my cow elk calls this year ,it was some scary thing that has happened more the a few times over the years hunting for elk in the EK.

I was set up for an evening hunt and I saw this big griz about 200 yards out ,he was feeding on berries in the slash ,after 15 min he went into the timber.

I did not see him again till I saw him behind me just befor I lost shooting light.

I was giving a few cow calls now and then and this is what brought him in to me.
He was about 100 yards behind me walking straight for me.
I got up and waved my arms and shouted at him he looked at me and stopped ,then I backed away keeping an eye on him he started to walk towards me I just kept backing away till I come to the old spur road.

Last time I saw him he was about 75 yard from me when I had to go through about 10 feet of 20 foot trees.

When I stepped out onto this spur road I lost sight of this bear and I put leather down onto the ground to make distance between him and me ,I kept looking back as I was running and I never did see him again.

I got to where my partner was to meet me and thank god he was there because it was getting real dark when I got to the meeting place where he was to pick me up.

tomahawk
12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Meeting my son, who now lives in AB, in the Cariboo and spending 3 days hunting mulies with him. That's best it can get!

CanuckShooter
12-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Mine was while up in my treestand about 10ft, watched a grizzly that was crossing the cut block that I had crossed to setup. When he hit my scent trail he began to follow it with scenting the ground, a couple of steps..looking from side to side..scenting the ground..a couple of step and another swing of his head side to side. I let him come to within 30yrds and then decided it would be best if he didn't actually find out where I was so spooked him off with some very loud hollars and a couple of raps of the rifle on the treestand.

With only ten minutes of daylight left I called my partner on the radio and asked him to come early to pick me up. [my quad was down so we were doubling up with his side by side] told him to hurry because I had a grizz around and I wanted to bettle the 300 yds of willow infested cut back to the road before dark, thought it best if he was at least at the road if mr grizz wanted to chew my arse ~!!

Made it safely, nothing like a heart pounding rush across a cut with mr grizz in the neighbourhood.

farside
12-12-2008, 09:26 AM
The best was our hunt in Quesnel and watching my daughter take her 1st animal, a nice little bear. Now the was a "proud momma" moment if ever there was one. Thanks again Chris.

Sitkaspruce
12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
I would have to say the whole hunting season.

I came back to the Island last year and had to re learn all my old ways to hunt Blacktails. I also had to learn an new area. I had a great time exploring the NI, learning some new areas and being lucky to harvest a good BT buck.

Second for me would be catching up with old friends, one of who is now on here and meeting up with him in the interior for a little BS session, as well as hunting with some old friends here on the Island.

And last would be my wife jumping in and helping me cut up the deer and bear....who would of guess that she enjoyed that sort of stuff:shock:.

All in All the whole season was one big highlight.

Cheers

SS

BiG Boar
12-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Sounds great guys, keep them coming! I am really enjoying this thread!

rishu_pepper
12-12-2008, 10:24 AM
My HL was definitely nailing my first rifle buck in the 'Boo last month. It was exactly one year + one day after I nailed my first buck (with a shotgun back then). Great times spent with great friends :D

Low-light = missing my shot on a wolf, I'll never hear the end of it from bartell... :(

Flingin' Sticks
12-12-2008, 03:39 PM
For the first time since I started hunting a few years back, I wasn't able to drop the hammer on a mulie this season, but oh what a great season it was...

HL was when my little bro popped his first ever deer back home in 100 Mile over thanksgiving...and he managed to do it the day before he turned 14!!! Looks like I've got a new little hunting buddy now...

kennyj
12-12-2008, 04:12 PM
My best highlight was Allison getting her first moose on the last hour of the last day.My second best was getting a second chance at a great dall sheep on the 12th day of my hunt.
kenny

smoothbor
12-12-2008, 04:19 PM
my best highlight was my 2008 sept leh elk in the west koots, shot a 340 bull at 8 yards on day 3

steveo32
12-12-2008, 04:24 PM
My best highlights are of my girl firedn taking her first muley 165 gross, and good friend connecting on a 192 and change muley!!!!!!!! Other then that i had a great guide season and topped it off with a even better deer season!!!!! Maybe if your all lucky i will post some pics someday :twisted:

Squirrelnuts
12-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Took my friend of 30 years out for his first year of hunting and helped get his first buck. An hour later I got a nice little 3 point. Later on the same day, another good friend / hunting partner found his first buck and I got a frantic call to go give him a hand... It was a hell of a day. :-D

Our (futile) moose camp was a great time, too.

dana
12-12-2008, 05:34 PM
The entire season has been simply awesome for me this year. So many highlights that will play back in my mind for the rest of my life. Out of all the hunting we did though, Cody's goat hunt was my most favorite. Hunting the highcountry is just something that gets in your blood and drives ya all year long. To be able to share that passion with my son on a day like we had, is something that almost leaves me speechless. Picture perfect stalk. Picture perfect shot. Goat drops on flat ground without the classic tumble over a cliff. The joy and excitement in his eyes as he walks up on the goat. The long and hard pack out. All of it, the entire day, was the best highlight of my year.

12-12-2008, 05:37 PM
My best high lite of the year was introducing my youngest daughter to deer and grouse hunting, she is 12. We bagged both some grouse and a little spiker for a mulie. She was thrilled with the experience, smiles the entire time. Were both looking forward to hunting next year together. It's just great to have new hunters taking up our sport with us. I hope there are many years to follow with her and her sister hunting with me their dad.

Another high lite was taking some cool pictures of 2 different billy's I had an LEH for, unfortunately, I did not harvest one due to possible loss of the critter in steep country. This was the first time we have had to resort to using ropes to raise and lower guns and equipment, putting our selves in one hell of a bad spot. I don't ever want that feeling again, one slip or mistake and I would not have the opportunity to hunt with my daughters again. Over all, it's been a fun, rewarding and again a learning year. I've now been hunting for over 37 years, every year is a bonus, and I seen no signs of ever stopping. Just can't get enough!
CT

Brett
12-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Had to be seeing Noahdog get his half a bear!

sawmill
12-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Mine was my wife passing the CORE and the PAL and buying her first hunting lisence.

Ruger4
12-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Without question , my 6 year old daughter at the 25 yard range grouping the same 'ol side mount Cooey I started with , a grandfathered refinished to new hand me down that still able to teach and get our up'n'comers started !! :-P

Rob
8-12

sparkes3
12-12-2008, 06:52 PM
takin a small bear and spike white tail with my four year old along to learn the ropes.not bad for a couple of day trips .my four point mulie with the hunting buddies was nothing to be sad about either. but you cant beat teaching your own son/sons (as it will be next year) how to hunt.

moosinaround
12-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Hearing a bull moose kicking the snot out of a tree less than 20 yards from us, then trying to sneak round for a clear shot, and having him disappear without a glimpse just as fast as he snuck in...that was incredible.

A close second was a "very technical" quad ride :)

Thanks Moosin!
The moose was a highlight, The technical quad ride WASN'T!!:lol:

husky30-06
12-12-2008, 08:48 PM
the highlight of my season woud be the same every year. Oct long weekend turkey dinner at camp. we Dig a big massive hole then build a fire in it, heating up plenty of rocks, we set a 22 lb turkey into the ground with stuffing. 4-6 hours later we have a very cooked turkey with all the trimmings, topped off with two Costco pumpkin pies. the camp has 13 campers/hunters and visitors making dinner for about 20. Spend plenty of hours visiting and BS'n, east indians listen to stories of cougars, bears, big moose and the big bucks the few of us track (as they do not usually get out of thier little suzzy). then the night is capped off with a few beers and many laughs. More to come if requested.:-D:-D

moosinaround
12-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Had to be seeing Noahdog get his half a bear!
Hell yah!! I can't stop laughing Brett!!!:D It was an excellent season full of laughs and sick humour! You guys warped my kid forever!! Moosin

Koot
12-12-2008, 09:13 PM
for me it was definatly putting my son on a few good animales and then when he did take a shot it could not have been better.His first deer was a whitetail doe.He passed on a bunch of bucks because he was not sure about the killin part but after he shot the doe we start to field dress her he says " hey ,this isn't so bad,man I should have shot the 4x4 whitey/muley"
I laughed pretty hard at that.Oh yea my dad was there as well.
Good times!

12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Lets hear it 30/06 sounds interesting if not funny ....

CT

.308win
12-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Highlight of my hunting year was June 1 2008, my parents came out from Newfie, took my dad out for a Bear hunt, saw 6 Bears, one of which was a Grizz that we followed for ~500m to try and get some pics, we ended up taking the 6'th Bear a 5' brown. And the best part, in my dads 30+ years of hunting , it was his first ever Bear hunt, Pretty cool to get to share that with him!! We get to hunt every 3'rd year, when they visit!!

Perry

Brett
12-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Hell yah!! I can't stop laughing Brett!!!:D It was an excellent season full of laughs and sick humour! You guys warped my kid forever!! Moosin Well the good part is I've run out of material! I guess "uncle" Brett is out of the question! LOL:biggrin:

BearSniper
12-14-2008, 10:02 AM
My highlight this year was seeing my son get his first game animal and first Grizzly after winning an LEH tag.

After only an hour of shooting practice a few days before, he put a round clean through the chest right behind the shoulder from 130 meters.
Remington 700 30-06 with 180 grain core lokts.

The fun part was showing the pictures to guys at work who only use 300 magnums etc. They couldn't beleive the little 30-06 did the job.:oops:

BiG Boar
12-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Cool one Bear sniper. My whole interest in hunting started based soley on getting a big grizz one day. 2020 is the year I have to have the smack laid down on one.

Rattler
12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
My highlight this year was rattling Brambles 2008 Muley. It was one of my better rattling experiences....the buck came right in to 40 yards after waiting only 5 minutes.

quadrakid
12-14-2008, 09:20 PM
my highlight of the year was two sounds. the sound an arrow makes when you connect and the sound a deer makes when he crashs thirty yards away.

Johnnybear
12-15-2008, 12:35 AM
My highlight of the year was the two days I took my son out with me.

The first trip was up a mountain that his grandpa used to take me up and finding some awesome buck sign and big bear sign.

The second was getting in there early with him and coming around a corner to find a herd of Elk in a clearing and watching them for 20 minutes until they departed into the timber.

Jb

Caveman
12-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Taking my dad out Elk hunting, walking side by side having him bugling. Seeing the excitement in the old guy when the bulls answered. Successfully harvesting one with him, and seeing the miles he would put in at 72 was amazing. Thanks would have to go out to Mark for hosting us, and pointing us in the right direction.