PDA

View Full Version : Spatsizi LEH Sheep...how would you get there?

Charger440
12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I noticed the Spasizi Sheep draw for 2009 has great odds; approx 50 authorizations with a 3.5:1. ratio I'm thinking of applying for it. I notice the highway that leads into the park enters from the West to the trailhead. Is anyone experienced with access with car to this area or would you fly in? Any info would be appreciated.

karlgotch
12-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Access to the trailhead is good, you'll probably want a 4x4 though. The Ealue Lk. rd can get some washouts on it but is usually pretty good. Shell has done some good work on the railgrade but there is always a possibility for some good sand slides that muck up the road where it follows the bank of the Klappan.

If you're gonna walk down the Eaglenest, about a day's hike will get you to a good base camp area, and you can start glassing/hiking from there. It is pretty rugged country with good sheep if you work enough to locate some.

Getting a flight into the Spats is another story that can lead to headaches and grey hairs.:eek:

Deadshot
12-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Hey Karlgotch,
Are you sayin that Shell fixed the rail bed after the big washouts (2)recently?

karlgotch
12-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Yes indeed. They had to do some major work around the Klappan bridge where the high water had chewed out the bank, which was finished in March?? of '08. I'd imagine there were some more washouts this past June, but the road work must be done 'cause there were a pile of hunters down the grade this September - upwards of 50 camps from what I was told.

I haven't been in that area since May but you can be sure with Shell doing so much work at the headwaters, the road is gonna be kept up.

Krico
12-12-2008, 12:07 AM
horses....

hunter1947
12-12-2008, 04:33 AM
I know a few people that used to fly in to this area ,they said that that was the best way of getting into this area.

7mag700
12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I've been up the rail grade on horseback once, and flown in once with Ray Collingwood of Collingwood Guide Outfitters (based in Smithers, PM me if interested, he's a family friend). I believe Central Mountain Air may still be flying DCs up there too.

7m7

25tikka
12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Check the bc parks website. I will give you all the access info

Charger440
12-14-2008, 11:11 AM
After some study of the area; eqiupment and distances involved, one thing stands out. This ain't no Sunday hunt in the back 40.:shock:

This is an adventure that few B.C. hunting experiences can equal, I think.
I hope my lottery luck continues. Thanks all for your quick responses.:cool:

dutchie
12-14-2008, 02:26 PM
I am sure that you have read the sticky on this area... please get a GPS, or sat phone... or even better yet... a locator beacon, gps, and sat phone!

This area is beautiful but at the same time it is filled with the obviously dangerous animals and we all want to hear great stories from your LEH hunt.

saftey is worth every dollar in the world!

dutchie