PDA

View Full Version : perch

sealevel
12-11-2008, 06:47 PM
At our FG club directors meeting. We were told that fisheries confirmed theirs perch in, Adams and shuswap lake .

lip_ripper00
12-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Is this an introduced spices like the idiots putting bass in our trout lakes?

PGK
12-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Yup. Been confirmed for a while now. They were in a trib. And they've finally reached the Adams R and the lake. Killemall!

ultramagbob
12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Probably some ice fisher useing them for bait

knighthunter
12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
What other specie's are in those lakes?

PGK
12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Probably some ice fisher useing them for bait

Doubtful. Perch aren't available for commercial bait use anywhere near BC. And it's unlikely someone put the effort into live trapping or angling small perch for bait.
More likely the same people illegally stocking bass and crappie all over the southern interior. People who do not value trout and salmon fisheries, and consider them garbage fish. Those people are normally ones who have moved from eastern Canada or the US. It's a very unfortunate phenomenon.

lip_ripper00
12-11-2008, 07:49 PM
This really pi**es me off when someone thinks "it would be great to fish bass/ perch like we did when I grew up:mad:". They wipe out one of the best fisheries, they are stocking a lot of the small lakes in the LML because the can't take the time to learn how to fish the native speices

Dannybuoy
12-11-2008, 08:31 PM
At our FG club directors meeting. We were told that fisheries confirmed theirs perch in, Adams and shuswap lake .
Wow ! ... those little buggers breed like flies .... thats gunna hurt the fishery in a few years .....

bad arrow
12-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I wonder what effect the perch will have on the salmon, anyone know? it brings tears to my eyes to have witnessed the effect they have on trout lakes, its a form of eco terrorism. BA

Caveman
12-12-2008, 07:56 AM
They are predators. They will feast on salmon and trout fry. It will not be good for those stocks

sealevel
12-12-2008, 08:07 AM
The salmon arm FG has been working with environment canada on poisoning the small lakes.

And the hope was that the big lakes had enough big predators to take care of the perch. but that's not happening.

Adams got them from skamana and a couple other small lakes
shuswap got them from skimikim and flemming and gardem ( its to be poisoned in 09)

pinus lake has perch and it drains into OK lake...

Pete
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
There were a couple of guys actually observed dumping Perch into the channel at White Lake. I do know that the Fisheries Officers and the CO's were trying to catch these yahoos.

abbyfireguy
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Hang'em high and cut off their jewels...Can't stand ignorant people who take it upon themselves to introduce bass and perch into waterways that are not home for them.
But, if a small lake is home to them,they will spread during high water seasons through the tributaries and that spells doom for the trout and salmon fry ..

sealevel
12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
[quote=Pete;376085]There were a couple of guys actually observed dumping Perch into the channel at White Lake. I do know that the Fisheries Officers and the CO's were trying to catch these yahoos.[/quote

Our FG club had a perch derby on gardom..... The same day the perch got dumped in white lake.

we don`t hold the derby anymore.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-12-2008, 11:18 AM
That's exactly what the Adam's sockeye needed.:roll:

I'm not sure what the shoal/weed(ie habitat) situation is in Adams and Shuswap but they have not caused a lot of damage in Okanagan Lake. Lots of open water and not much for shoals/weed which perch prefer. Perch have been in OKanagan for quite some time. I know someone that caught a 13" perch in Green Bay back in the early 80's.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the damage will be minimal:?.

SSS

Chuck
12-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Doubtful. Perch aren't available for commercial bait use anywhere near BC. And it's unlikely someone put the effort into live trapping or angling small perch for bait.
More likely the same people illegally stocking bass and crappie all over the southern interior. People who do not value trout and salmon fisheries, and consider them garbage fish. Those people are normally ones who have moved from eastern Canada or the US. It's a very unfortunate phenomenon.

That's the way I understand it too! Those bloody things are in Kootenay Lake also, and Walleye - geeez, people just rave about those gawd awful things.

Busterbrown
12-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I was out running some water blinds with our dogs awhile back in the Pitt Polder when a guy comes walking up with a vest and about 4 rods rigged with top water plugs. I asked him what he was fishing for and he said Bass. I then proceeded to make a dick of myself when I informed him that there are no bass in the Pitt watershed. We had a spirited but pleasant debate on it when he left by telling me there are some 4-6 pounders in the middle.
We continued with our training when he called me over and held up a bass of about 3lbs. Having grown up in northern Ont i do know what a bass looks like. I was shocked as he proceeded to catch aprox 10 fish in the next hour. That is not good news as I suspect they will be in the Fraser watershed in short order

mountainman
12-12-2008, 11:49 AM
That's the way I understand it too! Those bloody things are in Kootenay Lake also, and Walleye - geeez, people just rave about those gawd awful things.
Walleye are an excellent eating fish! But that being said they don't need to be introduced where they don't belong! A couple Northern Pike would take care of the perch problem but then you have a pike problem and I think they are worse then perch. I saw the effects of one pike in a stocked trout lake and it took a couple years to bring the lake back after.

I wish people would stop trying to make things better for themselves by ruining other resources.

Chuck
12-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Walleye are an excellent eating fish! But that being said they don't need to be introduced where they don't belong! A couple Northern Pike would take care of the perch problem but then you have a pike problem and I think they are worse then perch. I saw the effects of one pike in a stocked trout lake and it took a couple years to bring the lake back after.

I wish people would stop trying to make things better for themselves by ruining other resources.

They sure are excellent eating fish and for example - when fisheries & biologists placed White Sturgeon fry into the Columbia river in a continuing effort to save the species, it wasn't long before fishermen were hauling up fat Walleye stuffed with - you guessed it - Sturgeon fry.

goatdancer
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Perch and walleye are both very tasty but don't belong in trout or salmon waters. They are school fish so once you find them, you can catch a lot in the same area. I think those morons introducing these fish are just lousy trout fishermen and like to catch the easy fish. Maybe our Fisheries should have no limits on these predators in any waters that are not their natural habitat. Also on the idiots who introduce them.....

PGK
12-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Perch and walleye are both very tasty but don't belong in trout or salmon waters. They are school fish so once you find them, you can catch a lot in the same area. I think those morons introducing these fish are just lousy trout fishermen and like to catch the easy fish. Maybe our Fisheries should have no limits on these predators in any waters that are not their natural habitat. Also on the idiots who introduce them.....

The general trend is to shut the lake or river down to fishing once the invasives have established there. The people that stocked them want to fish them. If it's closed, it's pretty easy to police.

My problem with this action plan, is that it contributes to the overall problem because the bucket brigade just looks elsewhere to new waters. Plus, since the days of the streamkeepers, anglers have been the best friends of the river. If noone's fishing the river, noone is there to see illegal activity going down.

steelheadSABO
12-29-2008, 07:56 PM
keep all perch you catch there good eatin or you can just get them out of our trout lakes