PDA

View Full Version : Cold temps and blacktail hunting

iceman11
12-11-2008, 08:23 AM
I know generally that the colder temps seem to get deer moving but it looks like we are in for a sudden, extreme change in temperature here in Chilliwack. I am planning on going out on sunday to try my luck one last time. Do you think with these very cold conditions the deer might just hunker down and wait for it to pass?? or will it drive the big ones down off the hills??

Jetboater
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
blacktails will stay high as long as the can, they typically do not have a large distance to travel to get to the black berry thickets and dense fern growth that winter brings... I honest do not think that they will hunker down... but they wont be out in the open either...dont expect to see one on the road at this time of season... the rut is over.... andf the bucks are in recovery mode...

hunter1947
12-11-2008, 08:45 AM
It takes lots of snow to drive deer down to a low elevation and by the sounds of it there is very little up hi ,if I was you I would go for the hunt this weekend.

As for snowy conditions it sounds like there will be a few inches of the white stuff this evening and on Sat ,then they say it will clear up for Sunday ,if this does happen the way I described it then your in for the best hunting conditions there are.

Sunny
12-11-2008, 08:48 AM
I think you have to hike more higher to find your luck.

SteadyGirl
12-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Iceman- The biggest blacktails I have shot/seen shot were in some of the nastiest weather Chilliwack can get. The bucks will be moving around. I Walking the deactivated roads for blacktail is a lot of fun and very rewarding. I think jetboater means -don't expect to see one driving the roads. Get out Saturday too if you can, good luck.:smile:

Gateholio
12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
You won't get one on the couch.:mrgreen:

Cold sanps seemt o get deer moving a bit, from my observations. Colder it is, the more food they need, so makes sense, I guess.:wink:

SteadyGirl
12-12-2008, 12:50 AM
You won't get one on the couch.:mrgreen:

:wink:

Blasted windows. Sometimes it would be nice to have a silent, sliding glass door:-P

sneg
12-12-2008, 08:14 AM
get ready for coming weekened.big one coming.... sasquach