PDA

View Full Version : Last day in the 'boo

Sideofabarn
12-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm wondering about heading down to region 5 today for a last crack at deer for the late bow season. So Cariboo dwellers, not asking you to give away spots, but is it even worth it? I'm thinking 5-14.

Timbow
12-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I believe a day in the field is better than working no matter the conditions. However, I don't think it's worth the gas for you to travel to 5-14 on the last day from PG. The conditions are worse than it was in the late rifle season. The snow is very crunchy and awfully noisy. Atleast with a rifle you can shoot a long ways compared to a bow or crossbow.

If you do go out, good luck.

Cheers.

oldtimer
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Well I went out this beautifull Morning down south of town along the Fraser. Melted yesterday and froze overnight, forget about a stalk really crunchy !! I saw 3 bucks at long range (250 yards) but no chance to even get close so I went on a famous cariboo road hunt. No success but what a gorgeous day. Saw a huge Bald Eagle at 30 yards enjoying the remains of a dead yote while the crows bothered him. Got up to another little road and sat in the sunlight thinking about what a great spot this was and relived memories of past hunts and past seasons. Was back in town by lunch but let me tell you guys it was a very enjoyable morning. only 5 months to spring bear and I saw some super spots today that are already mapped out. Have a great off season unless you are doing winter yotes and be ready for spring bear. Mike

Ambush
12-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I spent this past Monday morning around the Rudy Johnson Bridge. Bad snow, no deer. They opened up hunting on the West Fraser ranch last year, and it really seemed to trim the deer numbers down there.

But as previously stated, there are no days wasted hunting.

jessbennett
12-11-2008, 09:30 AM
well it was one last kick at the can for me. went out yesterday afternoon to check one of my little honey holes. seeing tonnes of tracks, and a few fresh rubs. decided to stay in there for a bit and see whats moving around. as stated already the snow was horrible to walk in.

so i parked my keister for a bit and did some sitting and waiting. about 20 minutes and i catch some movement up and to my left. 1 doe, 2 doe, fawn. these deer are about 100 yds away. then mr wonderful walks out where i can see him. tall and wide 4 pt. after trying to figure out how the heck im goin to get onto these deer they decide to bed for a while. well heres my chance........ sorta........ dam the snow..:roll: well i tried to sneak in on them one slow step at a time.. way too noisy. i was about 80 yds away. then i decides to take off my boots and try that. (yes snow is cold) lol. well to make a long story short, i got to within 60 yrds, frozen feet and no deer.:icon_frow
ive made long shots like that before, but i just wasnt comfortable takin it.
once i got within 60 yds the snow was just to noisy and they spooked. all in all it was fun. probably the funnest(and coldest) stalk for me this year.

he was a monster. i really wanted to get him. its amazing what someone will put themselves through to do it. my feet are finally thawed now. :biggrin:

Sideofabarn
12-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I didn't get out yesterday. Seeing as though I hadn't scouted through the area, and the crunchy snow (sometimes my foreigner brain kicks in and I forget that). Had more than enough chores to keep me busy. So it looks like I'll be shooting the bow downstairs, getting out for rabbits, and ice fishing until next spring then the barrs are back out. So, about that recipe for tag soup?

MattB
12-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I didn't get out yesterday. Seeing as though I hadn't scouted through the area, and the crunchy snow (sometimes my foreigner brain kicks in and I forget that). Had more than enough chores to keep me busy. So it looks like I'll be shooting the bow downstairs, getting out for rabbits, and ice fishing until next spring then the barrs are back out. So, about that recipe for tag soup?

Dont kick the can yet, theres always horses...or wolves! :smile: