PDA

View Full Version : Any advice from experienced BC hunters?

Cray
12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi,

I'm a kiwi, done abit of deer hunting in NZ (mostly sika) and have just completed my PAL & Hunting courses here in BC. I'm hoping to be able to get my Hunting license this week & will likely buy a rifle this week also. If all the stars align, I am hoping to try and have a hunt somewhere this weekend before the season ends. I was thinking of heading towards Meritt/Kamloops and just trying my luck. I know most folks on here will probably keep any good tips on places close to thier chest, but if you're feeling charitable this season, I'm open to any suggestions or advice.

Thanks

bighornbob
12-08-2008, 02:17 PM
How long have you lived in BC for?? I am asking becuase you have to live here for 6 months prior to doing anything in regards to hunting. This even means getting your license.

Just might have to wait til next year as deer season ends on dec. 10 for the Merritt and Kamloops areas. Actually that is pretty much it for most places other then the coast (I believe). Other then predaters and water fowl.

BHB

ruger#1
12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Cray it would help the guys a bit if they knew what part of the province you are in. And what kind of deer you would like to hunt.

Cray
12-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I have lived here for almost 2 years now. It took a long time to finally get my PAL (even though I have had a NZ License for many years). I thought I read in the 2008 Synopsis that the season went through to the 15th in some regions??

Well, in any event......same question but predaters & ducks instead of deer. I figured ducks might be too hard to target without a boat and/or dog.

Cray
12-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I live in Vancouver, so I'd could basically go anywhere in the Lower Mainland, Merritt or towards Kamloops. Guess black tail deer are my best bet?

Sideofabarn
12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, greetings fellow Southern Hemisphere expat! There is a smattering of openings left, but a lot of them are bow only, or some tough driving if there's snow on the roads. Ducks are a little easier to target, and no, you don't need boats or dogs, although they certainly make things easier. However, I assume you know there is a seperate licence required for migratory birds. What I'm learning is that you really need to put your time in for most big game, which means devoting next spring and summer to scouting and shed hunting. Often, the guys who are successful are either lifers in their local area, or manage to tag along with other seasoned hunters. That said, if you're competent with big game habits and habitats, they'll often be where you find them. Spend the winter talking trash with folks on here, and you'll likely pick up some good advice to have at 'er by next season. If you're up for bear hunting, there should be plenty of them come April, depending on where in the province you live, and also where you hunt.

Cray
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the advice sideofabarn! Always thought deer hunting here was meant to be easier than NZ where you go bush for a week and walk miles everyday through thick bush and are lucky if you see one deer!

Oh well, go the ducks and predators I guess! Gonna pick up a varmint rifle this week.

Cheers

TimberPig
12-08-2008, 11:04 PM
How long have you lived in BC for?? I am asking becuase you have to live here for 6 months prior to doing anything in regards to hunting. This even means getting your license.

Just might have to wait til next year as deer season ends on dec. 10 for the Merritt and Kamloops areas. Actually that is pretty much it for most places other then the coast (I believe). Other then predaters and water fowl.

BHB

Actually, it is 6 months for a Canadian citizen/resident, or 12 months for a non Canadian citizen/resident.

Since he's been here 2 years, he's good to go, as he is considered a BC resident for Wildlife Act purposes.

wsm
12-08-2008, 11:14 PM
if you get a licence , deer tag, and a straight shootin rifle by this weekend i will give you a good local spot for blacktails. a doe call would definately help you out a lot. PM me if you get your licence and rifle sighted in.

Steeleco
12-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Better hope your stars are lined up, it all goes to pot on the 15th!!
Good luck, but I think the government your dealing with, aren't as swift as yourself!

Legi0n
12-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Well, greetings fellow Southern Hemisphere expat! There is a smattering of openings left, but a lot of them are bow only, or some tough driving if there's snow on the roads. Ducks are a little easier to target, and no, you don't need boats or dogs, although they certainly make things easier. However, I assume you know there is a seperate licence required for migratory birds. What I'm learning is that you really need to put your time in for most big game, which means devoting next spring and summer to scouting and shed hunting. Often, the guys who are successful are either lifers in their local area, or manage to tag along with other seasoned hunters. That said, if you're competent with big game habits and habitats, they'll often be where you find them. Spend the winter talking trash with folks on here, and you'll likely pick up some good advice to have at 'er by next season. If you're up for bear hunting, there should be plenty of them come April, depending on where in the province you live, and also where you hunt.

I'll be checking a new area this coming Sunday (last day of the season).
pm me if you want to join. It's more fun to have a partner.

hunter1947
12-09-2008, 06:18 AM
One place to hunt would be just this side of Merritt get a back roads map book of the Central interior and you will find back roads that go into areas.
You better get going ,because you only got today and tomorrow till the season is cloused up in them areas.