PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Tip or Accubond?

Nothingbut7mmmag
10-02-2005, 10:39 PM
I was just wondering if I should use still use ballistic Tip for hunting or maybe i should switch to the Accubond,can you give me some tips on which is better?

youngfellla
10-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Don't use the ballistic tip if you plan on eating anything. Those bullets 'grenade' on impact and leave a lot of bloodshot meat. I used to use them in my 7 Mag but have since switched to Accubonds. 140's for deer and 160 for moose, bear etc. Try shooting both bullets into a block of wood at 20 yds and then compare the results. That is, if there is anything left of the ballistic tip to find.

Gateholio
10-03-2005, 11:39 AM
YOu get it all in the Accubond-

Accuracy, expansion, and it holds to gether enough to penetrate.

:mrgreen:

one-shot-wonder
10-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I would not recommend using the ballistic tip, as I found out the hard way twice last fall one on a 4 point mule deer from 150 yds. (lung shot) adn once on a calf moose from 140 yds. (lung shot) both seperated/shrapnalled and destroyed good meat in the hind quarters, don't ask me how but I found segments of lead in the rumps of both animals.

I load a 180 grain Hornady Interbond that has done well thus far this season downing a bighorn ram, retrieving two mushroomed up leads with good retention and expansion. I haven't weighed the bullet yet. But finding the lead mushrooms in the hide was enough affirmation for me.

By the way I shoot a .300 mag and am not much of a target shooter however, get very good groups at the range with my interbonds.

Bowhunter32
10-04-2005, 05:39 PM
hmm thats wierd i ahve never had anyproblems wiht ballistic tip loads, i have shot a large amount of animals ranging from deer to elk moose you name it and have never had blood shot in any of the meat, maybe i am just am a good shot on wher ei place the bullet who knows but i never myself have has any problems with ballistic tips,

todbartell
10-04-2005, 05:53 PM
If you're going after something bigger than deer, go with an Accubond

If you're shooting a cartridge with a muzzle velocity over 2800 fps, use an Accubond.

Ballistic Tips are kind of fragile and expand rapidly, also don't retain as much mass = not penetrating as deep.

Accubonds are a pretty awesome bullet. Can't go wrong by choosing them.