PDA

View Full Version : Georgias first archery buck!

mark
12-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I'll start by saying that this year has not been to great for muleys! Ive dragged her out nearly every weekend of this season and havnt been able to find her a decent mulie all year! We've hiked, sat, racked, rattled, grunted, glassed, and even road hunted a bit ;)! With little to no snow, and what there is, is so crunchy we can hear deer running away for a mile. Not to mention, theres been almost no migration deer showing up in my usual spots, its been a very frustrating late deer season! With recent freezing rain, the bush was literally a skating rink, so we decided to head to some low country where the snow had totally melted away. I decided to check out a spot Ive been eyeing up for a long time but never bothered to explore. right away I spot a 2 point shed right from the vehicle, well at least theres deer in here. Not 10 minutes later, way up high on a rocky peak I spot a deer about 400 yards away. Sure enough its a nice 3 point tailling a doe! We stalked to about 200 yards and the deer had made us, but seemed to be content up where they were. We made a game plan to split up, she would slowly make her way up and towards them and I was gonna circle around the ridge and come over the top. The plan couldnt have worked better. As I crested the ridge I spotted the buck at 30 yards, he jumped from a bed and started heading down as I hoped. To my surprize, She had come a long way up the ridge and was just below me on a bench. The buck was eluding me and walked right into a perfect 50 yard shot for her. The winds were horrible and she missed her first shot, with only 1 bolt left she took another. Just as she shot, the buck turned into the shot and she nailed him right in the neck, dropping him on the spot! She starts screaming I got him, I got him!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_3003_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=11780&size=big&cat=500)
It could be a long shot, but this just might be his shed! This is the 106th shed weve found this year and turned out to be the lucky one!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/IMG_3006_Medium_.JPG

NaStY
12-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Thats beautiful......

Oh and nice mule deer.....

derek p
12-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Sounds like you worked your butts off this year, your persistance has paid off, congrats to Georgia on a fantastic buck.

Caveman
12-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Nice job Georgia, Congrats!!! You're not alone in a frustrating muley season Mark.

newhunterette
12-07-2008, 12:07 AM
doing the happy dance - another lady takes a buck - ^5 Georgia

look out guys women in the woods and we are kicking critter butts

awesome photos

whitetailsheds
12-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Congrats Georgia and Mark. Great hunt. 1st mulie for her?

12-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Mark,
Looks like you got a keeper there, oh and I don't mean deer, I mean dear.
Congrats to you both on what has been a good season for you and your better 1/2.
CT

Kitimat Killer
12-07-2008, 01:30 AM
way to go mark on letter her get the deer its good to see the girls getting out and getting in the action next me it's my turn i got to take my g/f out and she wants a bear next spring

Huey
12-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Way to go guys! Sounds like a blast! Nice when the plan works to a 'T'!

cainer
12-07-2008, 01:33 AM
It really is hunting when you make the plan and it works-half the time I just fluke out...way to go!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Congrats Georgia!!

Sounds like you made the right call staying below the snow. Made it out last evening and I've never heard more loud conditions. Sounded like we were walking on broken plate glass windows.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
12-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Atta girl Georgia. Nice buck!

Headin' out for the last kick at region 3 this morning - it's gonna be sad tonight when I start putting all my gear away for another season...:-|

hunter1947
12-07-2008, 06:24 AM
It goes to show you that persistence pays off and the pic of Georgia's holding this bucks head up with the big smile tells it all.

That buck is a very fine buck to get with a bow ,lots of hunter would of taken this deer with a rifle and considered it a real dandy buck.

I am very happy for Georgia on getting this first buck with her bow and for you Mark helping make Georgia's dream buck with a bow come true.

Very well done Georgia ,congratulations to you getting your first buck with a bow http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

dave_fras
12-07-2008, 07:14 AM
congrats guys.... im heading out right now to try my luck.. broken foot and all hahaha... its gonna be mostly road hunting tho... since i cant hike with this damn cast on!!

knighthunter
12-07-2008, 07:45 AM
nice buck. great shot. nice field pic.

jrjonesy
12-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Wait to go Georgia! Stuck with it through a tough season and it paid off. Congrats on your first archery buck!

Gateholio
12-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Nice looking deer, and good shooting:wink:

It's been tough out there with no snow...CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH:tongue:

Will
12-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Wowsers ! Congrats on the Buck no small achievement there !
Way to go ! :cool:

Blainer
12-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Great finish to a Great story.
Good on ya.

rifleman
12-07-2008, 11:00 AM
thats exciting, I'm glad she got him. sound like alot of persistence paid off.

mikek blacktail
12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
nice pics ,great buck.Bowhunting is always so rewarding.

longhairmtnman
12-07-2008, 12:27 PM
good job. I've yet to get my wife her first deer. Is it common for the antlers to have off-setting forks like that? It's pretty neat anyhow. Congrats on the Buck.

Brambles
12-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Thats great guys, big congratulations Georgia. Leave it up to you to fill the freezer while your man spooks all the game.

goatdancer
12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Both are keepers......

mark
12-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Congrats Georgia and Mark. Great hunt. 1st mulie for her?

Actually its her 4th buck and one of the smallest, but first bow kill!

Nice looking deer, and good shooting:wink:

It's been tough out there with no snow...CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH:tongue:

Actually Gates its where the snow is thats unbearable, I never thought Id seek low ground to hunt below the snowline????

nice pics ,great buck.Bowhunting is always so rewarding.

So rewarding is right, that was the biggest thing she noticed, she was so excited it was unreal. (even managed to recock the crossbow without the woosey-string) Good ol adrenalin!

good job. I've yet to get my wife her first deer. Is it common for the antlers to have off-setting forks like that? It's pretty neat anyhow. Congrats on the Buck.

Not super common, but not rare, bucks like this often get shot as 4 points because at a side profile they look like a even 4 point!

Thats great guys, big congratulations Georgia. Leave it up to you to fill the freezer while your man spooks all the game.

Spooked the game right to her!!!! Lets just get that clear!
As far as filling the freezer, Ive passed on at least 6 small bucks in the recent bow season, some as close as 10 ft. Ive still got 3 uncut tags, and 3 days of hunting, all to myself now :p.

goatdancer
12-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Mark

When your better half is tickled pink about getting a buck, you've got a winner. My wife doesn't hunt ( I get to do that ) but she really enjoys fishing. Kinda nice to have someone to go out with, besides all the guys, eh?

mark
12-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Mark

When your better half is tickled pink about getting a buck, you've got a winner. My wife doesn't hunt ( I get to do that ) but she really enjoys fishing. Kinda nice to have someone to go out with, besides all the guys, eh?

Ya nice to spend all our spare time together, but I actually miss hunting alone alot. Got to get her tagged out earlier next year! :smile: Between time with her, or my time, I barely hunt with any buddies anymore :frown:

goatdancer
12-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Ya nice to spend all our spare time together, but I actually miss hunting alone alot. Got to get her tagged out earlier next year! :smile: Between time with her, or my time, I barely hunt with any buddies anymore :frown:

You can always drink beer with your buddies. She can always go with you and call the critters in for you after she's tagged out.....

valleycowboy
12-08-2008, 05:52 AM
congrats to the two of ya!!!! good job Georgia.

BCrams
12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Congrats on a fine buck!! Not many guys out there who can say they hunt with their partners! Good stuff.