PDA

View Full Version : Dam* Does

Crazy.kayaker
12-06-2008, 07:53 PM
So I went hunting again and spent 2 1/2 hours following a bucks tracks in the snow before I decided to let the buck go as I traveled the same hillside three times. I found me this nice little dry spot on the ground in a shrub and sat overlooking about 200 x 1000 yard section of grassland. About 45 or so minutes later the shrub I was hiding in starts to shake. Almost had a heart attack as I thought I was about to become a bears last meal instead I see about 2 feet away a doe nibbling on the tips of the shrubs branches. After both of our initial shock the doe goes back to its branch munching. Spent a good 10-15 minutes eating beside me. As I leave my camera in my hunting bags mesh pouch I started to go for it slowly but every time I started to reach for it the does head would pop up along with its ears and it would look strait at me so after 3 attempts I gave up trying for the camera so no pictures sorry. Almost the entire time all I could think of if only it was a buck and not some doe. This is the 4th time this season I could have reached out and touched a doe. Granted this is the stuff hunting stories are made out of but you can't blame me for wishing it was a buck cause you would too.

riflebuilder
12-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I called a blacktail doe in one time and she didn't stop untill she was right beside me. I reached out and poked her in the ribs and she took off, but came back when I called again. It was wild.

Chuck
12-06-2008, 08:06 PM
How fortunate! I could never imagine this happening to me.

You definitely are doing SOMETHING right, unfortunately the sex is a 50-50 draw.

husky30-06
12-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I have had deer up near me when i was a junior hunter. My Dad would sneak up on me and scare the bujesus out of me and then proceed to tell me about the deer that was eating behind me only meters away. now that I am more aware of their presence, i have not had that happen again.

ktown
12-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I was sitting in my blind yesterday and i hear something coming fast from left i am hoping it was a buck. i was using the cross bow goes by me then hits the brakes and comes back to look at me now 8 feet away and a mulie doe coming towards me . any closer and i would have to use the self defence card lol good luck explaining that to CO but as soon as i moved my eyes she was gone made my day.

Crazy.kayaker
12-06-2008, 08:39 PM
How fortunate! I could never imagine this happening to me.

You definitely are doing SOMETHING right, unfortunately the sex is a 50-50 draw.

Tell that to the bucks I haven't see. Nothing I could harvest all season just does....over 400 this hunting season

Squirrelnuts
12-06-2008, 08:51 PM
any closer and i would have to use the self defence card lol good luck explaining that to CO

I damn near had to do that a couple weeks ago. I shot a doe (LEH) and didn't see the little 2 point buck that was hanging around her until he stepped up out of a draw, walked up to the dying doe, and proceeded to sexually assault her... Nature ain't pretty sometimes...

Anyway, this damn buck wouldn't leave her alone. 20, 30 feet away and looking at me, I was really wondering if he was going to take a run at me. (I didn't have a second tag and it was 4 point season anyway- otherwise it would have been one hell of a day). He finally wandered off when I started gutting his girlfriend but it was kinda spooky there for a bit.

Ironball
12-06-2008, 08:52 PM
riflebuilderI called a blacktail doe in one time and she didn't stop untill she was right beside me. I reached out and poked her in the ribs and she took off, but came back when I called again. It was wild.

I was sitting under a tree watching a draw with my rifle barrel resting on my boots, when this bobcat comes up the side of the hill.To my surprise he came right up the hill and sniffed the barrel of my gun.WOW:oSome days when you get something so up close and personal its actually more memorable than that meat buck you took years ago.

hunter1947
12-07-2008, 07:03 AM
I have a small digital camera that I keep in my hunting jacket pocket ,all i have to do is slide my hand into the pocket and pull out the camera ,easy to get out fast.

Maybe next time you might think of having the camera where you can get it out easy for a shot ?????.
Sounds like you had a nice outing for the day.

longhairmtnman
12-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Earlier this season while hunting with some buds we split up to cover more area. They went high and I stayed low. A couple hours later we decided to meet up(radio's) and I bumped some does out of their beds and they ran right towards the guys above me. The one fella was crouched on a trail 'cause he heard the deer coming. They did not see him as they were looking back towards me. When the lead doe was like 10 feet away he stood up and she did a crazy leap to get by him. She was close enough that he could have reached out to grab her!
His comments were " That's worth the price of admission alone" !:smile: