PDA

View Full Version : My First Buck!

ZENYO
10-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Man am I hyped. After 5 years, I finaly landed my first buck. A nice 3 point in Cache Creek, got him right in the heart, at about 100 yards uphill. Fell on impact. WOW!!!

About 2.5 hours later my partner got his. Another 3 point about a couple of km's away from mine. What a great weekend!

Here's a pic of mine
http://www.columbusclan.com/allan/hunoct_05/1.jpg
Back at camp

Marc
10-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Congrats on your first buck! There is no feeling like it is there. All that hard work and hours in the field finaly paying off not to mention all the quality time spent in the woods. He'll make some great eating.

Marc.

ex bc guide
10-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Congats on you first buck!
Mike

goathead
10-02-2005, 08:42 PM
congrats on your first buck, mm good,niceshot

willyqbc
10-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Hey that's fantastic! no matter how many you kill in your life you'll always remember that one!

Chris

rollingrock
10-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Congrats on your fist buck! Did you get it up high?

bochunk2000
10-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Congrats man. I will never forget mine and niether will you.

todbartell
10-02-2005, 10:33 PM
congrats on the buck, will be some fine eating for sure

Gateholio
10-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Great!!
Congrats!!

Thunderstix
10-03-2005, 05:54 AM
You must have had a baaaaad case of the shakes before pulling the trigger I'll bet.....I know I did with my first deer...hmm, and all the rest since then.
Congrats!

burnt03
10-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Congratulations! I hope that I can post a similar story by the end of this season :???:

What sort of rifle did you use?

ZENYO
10-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

It was pretty exciting. I don't remember if I was nervous...lol. All I remember is getting him in my sites, and waiting for him to get out from behind a couple of trees. He didn't see me so he was walking slowly. As soon as he opened up, I hit him. I sure remember the couple of minutes after I hit him though. According to my budy, he was talking to me and I wasn't responding. I don't even remember hearing him talk. lol, I was really nervous after.

It wasn't that high. We camped about 15 Kms up we drove back down a few kms the opposite side. We were lucky enough to see mine 50 yards off the road. I finaly got him 100 yards or so up the hill.

I shot him with my Remington 300 Win Mag.

Red Foreman
10-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Way to go,looks like it will be a tasty deer.Was it your partners first deer as well?My buddy got his first moose this weekend as well.He's going to mount the rack on a little plaque with the empty shell case and a pic,might be an idea for you as well.

ZENYO
10-03-2005, 09:26 AM
No it wasn't my partners first. Here's my partners buck. He got it about 50 yards down an embankment.
http://www.columbusclan.com/allan/hunoct_05/2.jpg

What a great guy to hunt with. Knowing that I hadn't shot my first buck, He did everything he could to make sure that I got the first one!

Bowhunter32
10-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Man am I hyped. After 5 years, I finaly landed my first buck. A nice 3 point in Cache Creek, got him right in the heart, at about 100 yards uphill. Fell on impact. WOW!!!

About 2.5 hours later my partner got his. Another 3 point about a couple of km's away from mine. What a great weekend!

Here's a pic of mine
http://www.columbusclan.com/allan/hunoct_05/1.jpg
Back at camp

Thats awesome man Congratulations on your Buck , looks good, i myslef have had a lot of oportunities evey day to tag a white tail or a mulie everyday but decided to wait till later in the season, for that bigger one ones i been seieng are only 2x2 3x2 nothing big and there bodies maybe get 75 lbs bonless off them had a nice bow shot early in bow season at a 4x4 20 yards away shot and the bugger must of herd my bow go off and went into a crouch to jump and my arrow hit high took off followed the blood boy he was spuing good found my arrow still tracked him for 4 hours and still couldnt find him then the blood faded away less and less so i am thinking he managed to survive the hit and was gone, 5 days later i seen him again same one but couldnt get a shot off ((

Gus
10-03-2005, 10:18 AM
That's a great start. I hope there's many more to come.

Thunderstix
10-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

It was pretty exciting. I don't remember if I was nervous...lol. All I remember is getting him in my sites, and waiting for him to get out from behind a couple of trees. He didn't see me so he was walking slowly. As soon as he opened up, I hit him. I sure remember the couple of minutes after I hit him though. According to my budy, he was talking to me and I wasn't responding. I don't even remember hearing him talk. lol, I was really nervous after.

It wasn't that high. We camped about 15 Kms up we drove back down a few kms the opposite side. We were lucky enough to see mine 50 yards off the road. I finaly got him 100 yards or so up the hill.

I shot him with my Remington 300 Win Mag.
I can still remember the first 2 bull moose I shot, and how I was walking towards them saying out loud, "please Lord let it have horns, please Lord let it have horns":biggrin: I knew it did before I shot but I was always on edge and imaging a moose around every corner that I was scared I was dreaming it had horns. They had them every time.

ZENYO
10-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Before I took the shot, I checked for a rack... I knew I saw a rack, Clear as day... None the less, after he went down the first thing that went throught my head was... Did I really see a rack? was it a tree? did screw up?... LOL, and after, back at camp I kept on reading through the regs to make sure I did everything right... LOL, total rookie behaviour, it was hillarious.

Man did the beer ever taste good that night!

Marc
10-03-2005, 11:46 AM
What gr and type of bullet were you using? How much meat damage? I've also got a 300 win mag that a purchased earlier in the spring and I'm planing on using it for deer.

Marc.

Mulie_Hunter
10-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Gratz on your First Buck :biggrin:

ZENYO
10-03-2005, 12:43 PM
the gun and amo was handed down to me by my father. The bullets were home made by one of my dad's partners. I don't know much about them. THe casings proabably came from a remington 180gr core-lokt pointed soft point.

To be honest, I don't know a heck a lot about guns and ammo. Before Saturday, hunting for me was more about being outside in the bush, tracking, getting fresh air and hanging with my dad. Obviously that was because I never shot anything.. Well I guess that's all changed now.lol

I damaged a bit of meat around the ribs were the bullet entered. A lot of blood around half of the rib cage. not that bad. It's all new to me, there were a couple of old timers around when I was skinning him and they said it wasn't that bad.

rollingrock
10-03-2005, 01:20 PM
:lol: Zenyo, I'm in your shoes. I totally understand how you feel. That was awesome, wasn't it?

Schutzen
10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Zenyo
Way to go!
Many more bro.

Freshtracks
10-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Zenyo ... congrats on your first buck and to your partner too. That sure makes for a great way to cap off a trip.