PDA

View Full Version : back from kootnays

coho456
10-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi guys got back on Monday.Went to the kootnays for a week,got a six point on Wednesday.First day of the hunt we saw a two point elk,got to within 25 yds.Ten minutes after leaving him had two bulls on different slides bugling back two us after about twenty mins they both quit answering us .Went back the next morning had both bugling again only to have both leave after we started to get close,I think the both had cows .Tried again that night on the way in we spooked a six point off the side of the road with a cow,couldn't get a good shot at him .I should also mention that my brother,and my twelve year old son are my hunting partners.And its my sons turn to shoot an elk,so everything has to be all in a row so we don't have a wounded elk running around.Any ways we continue on up to are hunting area,I get the bull bugling again and they try a stalk on him ,they get down to under 25 yds and the wind starts to shift,the elk pick up their scent and start running all over,thats the last we hear of them.We try another area the next morning ,the year before we had a couple of answers but never got close too them.First slide we come to has a 5x5 on it with 8 cows,and a spike lurking around the outskirts.Further up the road we come across a five point bull moose with a cow.On the way out we stop to bugle ,get an answer right away.My son and I take off trying to find away up the slide,after about 5 mins my brother calls us back the bull has taken off across the slide.We jump in the truck and because we have been in there before we know where he's headed,he beats us there but this time we only use the cow call,my brother and son go after him while I stay on the bottom .After about 25 or 35 mins of me cow calling and him bugling and chuckling ,I hear another cow call immediately after I hear two shots ,a few seconds later I hear one more ,a few seconds later I hear two more.I meet up with the other two about a hour later and they have a 6x6 bull elk head across my brothers back.As we meet they relay the story to me .They cow called after getting within 25yds of the bull ,he jumps up and my son shots the bull ,behind the shoulder,followed by another from his uncle,the bull runs twenty feet away and my brother shots him in the neck,drops the bull right there,the bull gets up turns around and starts towards the two hunters,uncle fires another shot and yells at my son to get out of the way,my son who is only twelve stands there and lets fly with another round,the bull drops about five feet in front of them.Because he is up the slide we take only the meat out ,upon skinning him out we find all five bullet holes three in the front and two in the neck.He'll have a story to tell his grandkids.Pics to follow.

Thunderstix
10-02-2005, 04:58 AM
Holy Smokes! That is one heck of a story! I hope you took some pics. Your son must be on cloud nine, but I will bet he is not floating as high as you!

Marc
10-02-2005, 09:35 AM
That is so awsome that your son has taken a 6x6 Elk as a lot of hunters on this forum haven't even seen one all season. Glad to see some people connect, defanitely waiting for some pictures. Congrats to you, your son and his uncle for a sucessful hunt and a full freezer.

Marc.

mariathemoose
10-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Congrats, great hunt.

We leaving Tuesday, have elk cow/calf draw in 4 02. 1100 metre restriction. Have you seen any elk down low?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sikanni Stalker
10-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Congrats, post them pics eh!

Gus
10-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Congratulations on the hunt. Really glad to hear about your son. I figure the younger you can get a kid started the better.

goathead
10-02-2005, 08:45 PM
good job on a hunt well done you guys should be proud,

brotherjack
10-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Congrats, great hunt.

We leaving Tuesday, have elk cow/calf draw in 4 02. 1100 metre restriction. Have you seen any elk down low?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I haven't been in 4-02, but I've been just across lake Koocanusa from there (4-03), and seen actually quite a few cow elk down low while driving in and out of the area. No bulls though. I haven't spent any time in 4-02 to be of any use as to where to go, but elk down low on one side of the lake is a good sign for you on the other side anyway. :)

brotherjack
10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
That is so awsome that your son has taken a 6x6 Elk as a lot of hunters on this forum haven't even seen one all season.

And then there's me, and I have never seen one, ever...

Two thumbs up on the success to you though! Glad someone's going to be eating Kootenay elk this year, even if it ain't me (though season ain't over for me yet, I'm still trying!).