PDA

View Full Version : What you guys think?

rollingrock
10-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Went out scouting today. Too bad it was extremely pissy and I didn't get anything. But when I walked into a side road and found some woods looking quite good. I had a feeling this must be deer/bear favourite land. I did find some trails and hiked up through one of these trails. What do you guys think? Could this be a good spot that I can go back for?http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/870PA0101211-med.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/870PA010122-med.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/870PA010123-med.JPG

Thunderstix
10-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Honestly dude, it looks good for blacktails or elk if on Van Island, but without you filling in the "where do you live" section in your profile, we are at a disadvantage.

rollingrock
10-01-2005, 08:04 PM
:biggrin: I'm in Lower Mainland. The pix were taken in Mission.

ruger#1
10-01-2005, 09:03 PM
to maney leaves and not enogh deer. need snow, were you back by salsbury lake, if you were the road to the north end to blinch lake looks good with new logging slashes and lots of swampy areas.

Steeleco
10-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Nice pictures but I'm thinking you'd have a tough time threading a bullet through there.

I tried to pop a yote in some wooded area just last Tuesday, the branch died the dog got away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thunderstix
10-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Shoot um .375, go through many trees before getting to animal!:mrgreen:
It does look a little twiggy for long shots. Deer like to walk through that stuff though.

rollingrock
10-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Looks like it's really tough to get a blacktail buck in lower mainland. I guess it takes some time to be able to hunt my backyard well. Today's wind changes a lot. I spent one hour in there and decided to leave. But in October I think the deer are gonna move to other areas.

Ken the Kanuck
10-01-2005, 11:00 PM
What sign did you see? Bear leave a lot of sign, ripped up logs and stumps when they are looking for termites, large craps, the area hold any salmon streams? How about late berries such as rosehips.

If bear are there you should be able see signs of their presence.

I have spent a little time in the mountains north of Mission and it is pretty rugged country, I would definitely look for spot where there had been a lot of activity and set my ass down wind.

KTK

ruger#1
10-01-2005, 11:11 PM
hey you guys here is a little seceret. look for lots of ferns, deer love to eat them and when they move out they will move down lower. rolling when you head up sylvester. keep and eye alone the blackberry hedges in october till november. ive shot lots with the shot gun, before you get to that durial school.they should be rutting soon. then the fun starts. used to see lots of sign up burma road to. way past sayers lake.

rollingrock
10-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Ken, I've seen a lot ripped uplogs and stumps in that area...seems poohs are everywhere. But I didn't find any large craps or anything like deer craps. Not far from the bottom of this hill there is a running creek, but I dont know if it's a salmon stream. Since today's so pissy you can hear the water from really up high.I did find some rosehips, some were half eaten. There're trails of all sizes from all directions. But the one I picked up looks more like a bear's. I can crawl through it. But as thundersix said this area looks like blacktail land too. At first the wind was in my face, then it was on my back. There aren't many clearcuts in that area, and I believe the existing ones have been pretty much used by other hunters. So my best bet would be hiking up high. This area is very rugged, and you can see a lot quad riders rushing through all the side roads which I really hate since alot of them are not hunters and are scaring the games away. Some of them are driving very agressively. I saved one ass today by slowing down at a corner while this guy was riding like a bull cutting the corner.

Since you're here, Ken, I've got a question for ya. Do you know any access to Coquiltma lake? That one is truly my backyard. But I can't find any way up there. Pipeline was blocked all the time. Seem I will had to hike through West Plateau or Buke Mountain?

rollingrock
10-01-2005, 11:43 PM
hey you guys here is a little seceret. look for lots of ferns, deer love to eat them and when they move out they will move down lower. rolling when you head up sylvester. keep and eye alone the blackberry hedges in october till november. ive shot lots with the shot gun, before you get to that durial school.they should be rutting soon. then the fun starts. used to see lots of sign up burma road to. way past sayers lake.

I'll try Sylvester next time. I know there're a lot good spots to the east of Lower Mainland, but I just need time to find them. You guys, like you and Dave, have really tipped me off a lot. I used to hunt with my friends in Squamish most time and a little bit in Hope. But then this year I thought, what the heck, there're a lot places I can go in my backyard, why should I spend so much on gas to join the crowd in Elaho?

Foxer
10-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I was going to say it looks like bear territory to me - but it looks like the kind of place blacktails like to 'transition' in. If there's a feeding area just a little lower than that, it's the kind of place they'll hold up in when there's a wind, or pass thru to get to water in the morning or evening.

If you found trails, that's a good thing. If you didn't find a lot of poop, that probably means they're either a) not in the area yet much because it's too early and they're still up high, or b) it's not a bedding or eating area. But they may move thru that area on their way between food, water or sleep.

Keep an eye out and see what you see. It is a little tight - good spot for a tree stand :)

rollingrock
10-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Foxer, I think we're on the same page. I only got up to half way or probaly less than that cuz it was raining so damn hard, I didn't like the feeling of hiking a strange place in rain. My guess was they're still up high too. The trails I found was definitely in all kinds. Man, scouting sucks, especially in an overpopulated area like this.

Ken the Kanuck
10-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Rollingrock, no dice on the access to Coquitlam Lake as it is a drinking water resevoir. Some guys I know who where able to get into the lake reported big trout, this spurred my imagination when I was younger and I spent a lot of time riding my dirt bike on Burke Mountain ( where I still live today ) I have also spent a lot of time with the old guy who put the road from the bottom of Burke ( up from the gun club to the old ski village ) and to the best of my knowledge Coquitlam lake is not accessable from Burke Mtn. I have tried to find a road or trail from the clear cuts at the end of the road but no luck. I did find a road not too far from the big bend at the canyon up from where the power lines cross, which looked interesting as it came back down the west side of the mountain but a good size creek had cut the road up pretty much, but I made it through that just to find the whole road ( skidder trail ) diasappeared under a slide.

Lots of bear for sure, some grouse and deer, you will need to pick - up the Special Fraser Valley Permit ( 2 mill liability I think ) and check the Special Fraser Valley map as the slope of the land from the peak south was banned from single projectiles I believe at one time.

Ken

Ken, I've seen a lot ripped uplogs and stumps in that area...seems poohs are everywhere. But I didn't find any large craps or anything like deer craps. Not far from the bottom of this hill there is a running creek, but I dont know if it's a salmon stream. Since today's so pissy you can hear the water from really up high.I did find some rosehips, some were half eaten. There're trails of all sizes from all directions. But the one I picked up looks more like a bear's. I can crawl through it. But as thundersix said this area looks like blacktail land too. At first the wind was in my face, then it was on my back. There aren't many clearcuts in that area, and I believe the existing ones have been pretty much used by other hunters. So my best bet would be hiking up high. This area is very rugged, and you can see a lot quad riders rushing through all the side roads which I really hate since alot of them are not hunters and are scaring the games away. Some of them are driving very agressively. I saved one ass today by slowing down at a corner while this guy was riding like a bull cutting the corner.

Since you're here, Ken, I've got a question for ya. Do you know any access to Coquiltma lake? That one is truly my backyard. But I can't find any way up there. Pipeline was blocked all the time. Seem I will had to hike through West Plateau or Buke Mountain?

rollingrock
10-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Lots of bear for sure, some grouse and deer, you will need to pick - up the Special Fraser Valley Permit ( 2 mill liability I think ) and check the Special Fraser Valley map as the slope of the land from the peak south was banned from single projectiles I believe at one time.

Ken

Ken, basically you cant discharge any firearm in any area in Burke below Munro Lake. Coquitlam Lake is just excluded from the boundary of Coquitlam on north end. I hiked to Munro twice with all my gears on my back including my rifle. The hiking was very demanding. Well I started from Quarry. You know what I'm talking about. But, heck, once you get to Munro, it is such a nice plateau to hunt. However, I bet you'd be scared of taking any big games cuz there's no way for you to bring them out.

rock
10-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Looks like my own back yard, I like it a little more open to hunt. though I know the deer and bears like it

rollingrock
10-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Looks like my own back yard, I like it a little more open to hunt. though I know the deer and bears like it

The weather isn't very cooperative this week. Or I'll be out there again this weekend. You're right, this is your backyard if you live in Maple Ridge. I'm in Port Moody.

Darren
10-13-2005, 10:12 PM
That looks like alot of the second growth here on the Island. Im goona say it's probably lower elevation? 500- 2500 ft? There will probably be some resident blacktails in there (non migratory). You will just have to hike and hike and hike until you find some area with fresh sign, sounds like theres a few deer around since you've been finding trails. It is wierd, but sometimes there can be hundreds, if not thousands of acres on forest like this, all looking the same, but the deer will only use certain areas of it. you can hike miles without seeing any sign, and then find a decent spot. Maybe see if you can find any rocky areas around there, sometimes the deer hang out around these. rocky above, with alder bottom, or swampy below is a good bet. Pretty hard to hunt this type of forest unless it is pouring rain though, the salal is quite noisy to walk through. GOOD LUCK!

Foxer
10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Until the weather gets a bit colder - you're gonna keep on hiking for a long way. They ain't moving yet i think. It's bloody warm this year.

rollingrock
10-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Until the weather gets a bit colder - you're gonna keep on hiking for a long way. They ain't moving yet i think. It's bloody warm this year.

But I think there is no guarantee on their movement even if the weather's getting colder. I found a good spot (seems) from Google Earth, but when got there, the road was just widely ditched out. I tried on the first ditch and decided to back out.

ruger#1
10-14-2005, 07:28 PM
the end of october is when i see a lot of deer around here. sure would like to see it snow.the three point i shot was chaseing does in mid october just off of sylvester rd. seen a nice four pointer in that area at the end of hunting season. lots of snow then.