PDA

View Full Version : Late season Buck ?

306 dave
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi guys oh and gals,
I am heading out on the 9th for a late season buck but have never done this.
Now don't get me wrong but I'm not looking for the secret spot just some good sound advice as to where to look,with the weather that we are having. I've done the aimless wondering to many times. No quad but will hike and work hard.
Thanx Dave

Steeleco
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
What region might narrow down the search??

306 dave
12-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Sorry I guess that's a little important.We were thinking region 3 merritt or cache creek area.

Steeleco
12-03-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd be inclined to look in the area north of the Kelowna connector, Pothole creek.
Lots of open space and logged long enough back to make for easy walking.

Will
12-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I seen a Nice 5x6 taken yesterday...rutting hard and with does.
Still some good Region 3 hunting to be had ! :p

306 dave
12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanx guys I appreciate it. Still not sure. We would like to go some where close to a town so we could get a good sleep yup you guessed it No Camper. We are prepared to sleep in our truck if it is necessary. So we'll take all the advice we can get.
thanks Dave

hunter1947
12-04-2008, 05:19 AM
I would hunt just outside Merritt if I was going after mule deer.

KevinB
12-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Assuming you are going after muleys? If the weather stays cold, the snow will stay pretty crunchy, and it might be tough going in the timber. So maybe think about sticking to areas where you can see a bit. If you have some decent binos, or better a spotting scope, find an area with some decent sign and if you are patient and sit still a bit and use your eyes you'll see a fair number of deer. If we get some more snow, and it gets quieter again, then the timber could be a good bet. If you don't know the area at all, a bit of time driving roads looking for sign can give you an idea of the amount of deer in the area and/or how much and where they are moving around. Once you figure out where they are, that's half the battle.

Sleeping in your truck at minus 10 sucks.

I was finding a lot of deer at about 1100-1200 metres around Kamloops the other week, not as much down lower, but it all depends on where you go.