PDA

View Full Version : White Tail - Late Bow - Kelowna

bastanu
12-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Anybody out these past few days? I've been on Mccullough Rd/ Stump, Sterling and few other branches and only saw one small buck that wouldn't come close enough. Lots of tracks but no luck (I mostly use a fawn call mostly - looking for a juicy doe). Any sugestions???

hunter1947
12-02-2008, 06:34 AM
If me I would go back to where you saw the most tracks ,look to see if the tracks are coming one way and going back the other way.

If you do find these tracks like this set up before daylight and wait if the tracks are coming from the timber and returning to the timber you have found a run way the deer are using.
when daylight comes give a few calls and wait and watch for about one hr after sunrise then nothing move on and keep your eyes pealed.

Head back about 2 hours before dark and set up again give a few calls every 10 min and watch till you loose shooting light ,good luck.

doubled
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
You definitely want to set up in a high traffic area. Should no tbe hard to see with the fresh snow here although it is melting fast.

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
You're a little high in elevation with Stump & Sterling.

Stick to McCullough and the Myra lower elevations from the KVR and lower.

meathead
12-02-2008, 11:32 PM
you must be starving why whould you kill a doe .thats not hunting

mooseless
12-02-2008, 11:50 PM
If my freezer was empty I would shoot a nice tender doe.
In fact I may just go out to a spot that is infested with whitetails and see what happens.

bastanu
12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
thanks all for the great tips, I am a bit new at this so it is very much appreciated -just got my new Excalibur Phoenix (after years of nagging...) this year (got a nice 3x3 mule buck last day of the early season so I'm not that hungry Meathead, just trying to get out and get better).

shoot to kill
12-03-2008, 01:43 AM
you must be starving why whould you kill a doe .thats not hunting

your name is appropriate, you are a meathead. Theres nothing finer than a tender doe, and afterall hunting is about getting meat for the freezer, and that comes before trophy to me.

300H&H
12-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Just call the COs. They might have a orchardist who will let you hunt his land. The deer have zero pressure.

meathead
12-03-2008, 10:26 AM
does are a 2 for 1 special

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm........sure glad I shot a spike and not a doe. Tough crowd:roll:.

SSS

budismyhorse
12-03-2008, 11:01 AM
1 guy "meathead" who apparently knows nothing about game management and is only concerned with trophies shouldn't make anyone feel any doubt. spikes/does/fawns all need to go in most whitey herds around BC, otherwise we are just feeding the preds.

meathead
12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
game managment?kill every deer there is so the predaters dont get them humm let me think on that one

GoatGuy
12-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Anybody out these past few days? I've been on Mccullough Rd/ Stump, Sterling and few other branches and only saw one small buck that wouldn't come close enough. Lots of tracks but no luck (I mostly use a fawn call mostly - looking for a juicy doe). Any sugestions???

If you have time head down towards rock creek/christian valley. Deer should be in there thick as flies by now.

budismyhorse
12-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Meat,

maintaining a moderate game population prevents boom and bust scenario associated with predator-prey relationships. Tonnes of deer = Tonnes of preds......shortly thereafter......very few deer followed by very frew preds.

No one is suggesting "killing every deer"....more like removing surplus animals from your population in order to maintain balance. A couple of hunters walking the hills with bow in hand looking for a doe is good for our sport......unless you think hunting is a "big d**k contest" and we all should be trophy hunters.

meathead
12-03-2008, 02:07 PM
you sound like a wildlife bioligist.you should pull out last years leh paper and look at how many doe tags are availiable. its crazey boom or bust you say hu.i think bust.i know not everyone is a trophy hunter but once youve hunted long enough and have killed alot of game then you realize.killing does and fawn is just wrong.go kill some and see how good you feel.if it makes you feel good then you shouldnt be a hunter.just remember this is just my way of thinking everyone hase a opinion.

budismyhorse
12-03-2008, 02:30 PM
.....go kill some and see how good you feel I have killed a few does, and to me...a life is a life is a life. I felt the same after 6pt bull elk and big old muleys as I did after the does. Initial remorse for taking a life and then you move on. .if it makes you feel good then you shouldnt be a hunter.just remember this is just my way of thinking everyone hase a opinion.

Hey, if "everyone has an opinion", then why are you condemning others that don't share the same opinion as you regarding antlerless hunting?

Awefully hypocritical of you. What gives you the right to say who should and shouldn't be a hunter?

This is a total hijack of a thread so I will stop it and apologize to the original poster...

Ruger4
12-03-2008, 03:14 PM
All the sign says there moving down finally , 1 more weekend , thats it !!

one-shot-wonder
12-03-2008, 07:14 PM
you sound like a wildlife bioligist.you should pull out last years leh paper and look at how many doe tags are availiable. its crazey boom or bust you say hu.i think bust.i know not everyone is a trophy hunter but once youve hunted long enough and have killed alot of game then you realize.killing does and fawn is just wrong.go kill some and see how good you feel.if it makes you feel good then you shouldnt be a hunter.just remember this is just my way of thinking everyone hase a opinion.

Nothing wrong with taking female deer, needs to be done in order to manage deer pops and maintain hunting opportunity.

Rather than hammering on the guy for choosing a meat hunt over trophy, why don't you offer him some advice about good late season deer archery hunting.......come on I know you have some to offer.....;-)

Piperdown
12-03-2008, 07:30 PM
As his name states MEATHEAD, one of these days......

A. Bunker

ps. shoot what ever you feel like as long as it is within the regs and enjoy what you take

troutseeker
12-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Does are yummy, I don't feel bad at all eating the fairer sex. You can't eat bone, although I hear some like to...

bad arrow
12-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Well Bastanu, if it were me I would find an area with at least a moderate to high traffic area and look for scrapes and tracks, I have shot more bucks while looking over a scrape than any other way. It seems like does dont move to much at this time of the year, but they will hang around those area's as well, sounds like you have a pretty nice bow there, put your time in. good luck

bastanu
12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I would like first to thank all the members that had anything PERTAINANT to offer. I see this forum as a tool to learn from your peers, better yourself in what you love doing in you free time (and we all know that is disappearing by the day...).

As for the Meathead... I have been hunting for quite a while. I am a BC Registered Professional Forester that actually had to take (and pass) game management courses in university. In Europe...Regarding the ethics and "feel bad" feelings, are you saying that the sight a dead majestic trophy buck doesn't make you feel bad, knowing that you've just stopped his genes from bettering the population. If you had to choose, would you take a healthy "prime" buck, or his injured/ older companion? I bet you'd do the first, better pictures for sure.

So be it - I choose to go out ther and hunt legal game during legal season with leagal means. Are you too lazy to start your own thread debating what makes a pitifull (no pun intended) human kill for "trophy"?

P.S. Just came from an awesome evening hunt - I had a cow mouse whithin 20 meters, just grazing away into the dark...

sawmill
12-04-2008, 06:49 AM
I took an leh doe a few weeks ago,she tastes great,I feel good about it so screw you.

dave_fras
12-04-2008, 07:00 AM
hey sawmill.... pretty sure i need to relax!... u sure r trying to put a lot of ppl donw!...pretty sure my mom shot a doe this year....id love to see u walk up to her... and say shes not a hunter cuz of that... i know i sure wouldnt wanna see what happens haha

sawmill
12-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Read my post,I`m all for it.Meathead was saying all that other crap.

bad arrow
12-04-2008, 05:59 PM
We always put in for a wt doe and muley doe too doesn't bother my conscience, the meat is the best there is, I might go shoot one this weekend with my recurve

dave_fras
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
haha sorry guys.. that was for meathead

dino
12-04-2008, 09:45 PM
doe= yum yum ! not trying to po anyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_S9DJxFgg8

levind
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Sounds like meathead is a anti hunter to me. Anyone bashing another hunter about what he chooses to shoot doesn't belong on a fourm like this. If its legal thats all that matters. I for one have taken does with a bow and leh and it may not be a rush but the meat is very good and better than anything you buy in the store (taking any game with a bow is always a rush for me anyways). Now if you are shooting things just for the fun of shooting and not eating the meat i personnaly am not into that but again if its legal keep you opions to yourself.

Kevin

GoatGuy
12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I would like first to thank all the members that had anything PERTAINANT to offer. I see this forum as a tool to learn from your peers, better yourself in what you love doing in you free time (and we all know that is disappearing by the day...).

As for the Meathead... I have been hunting for quite a while. I am a BC Registered Professional Forester that actually had to take (and pass) game management courses in university. In Europe...Regarding the ethics and "feel bad" feelings, are you saying that the sight a dead majestic trophy buck doesn't make you feel bad, knowing that you've just stopped his genes from bettering the population. If you had to choose, would you take a healthy "prime" buck, or his injured/ older companion? I bet you'd do the first, better pictures for sure.

So be it - I choose to go out ther and hunt legal game during legal season with leagal means. Are you too lazy to start your own thread debating what makes a pitifull (no pun intended) human kill for "trophy"?

P.S. Just came from an awesome evening hunt - I had a cow mouse whithin 20 meters, just grazing away into the dark...

Sounds like a neat experience.

While you're out if you see anybody with tin hats in treestands right beside the road be sure to honk and wave to them for me. :)

Fisher-Dude
12-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Best bet is to head up Trepanier. Loads of whitey does up there. Good luck! 8)

sawmill
12-05-2008, 04:47 PM
i`m about to butcher my buddies last day leh doe but first I have to get it into my basement to thaw some over night,it was -18 here wednesday night and she is froze cockstiff.:frown: