PDA

View Full Version : carrying registration papers

ratherbefishin
09-30-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm heading out tuesday, and nearly forgot-got to carry the registration papers with me.I'd sure hate to have my hunt ruined by an RCMP officer at a game check, asking for my registration papers and remember they are home in the gun cabinet.
Can you carry a copy of the registration with you and leave the originals at home?

Thunderstix
09-30-2005, 09:26 PM
I have the cards for my primaries but I would not hesitate to carry a copy of my paper one. We were pulled over in Hazelton last Saturday night while on our way hunting in Smithers (trailer lights were flickering, warning ticket only), and the officer asked how many guns were in my Samurai, to which we replied, "Four". He said ok, thanks....end of story.

Steeleco
09-30-2005, 09:26 PM
In a word YES. After the CFC stopped issuing the plastic cards they were kind enough to give us the paper sheet's. I called and asked your same question. I was told that it's OK to copy them. So I did just that, about 5 times, got a roll of clear mylar tape and laminated them all. So now I have a set in my day bag, shooting bag, glove box, you get the idea!!! The originals are safe in my file.

brotherjack
10-01-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm heading out tuesday, and nearly forgot-got to carry the registration papers with me.I'd sure hate to have my hunt ruined by an RCMP officer at a game check, asking for my registration papers and remember they are home in the gun cabinet.
Can you carry a copy of the registration with you and leave the originals at home?

Just curious - has anyone in BC ever been asked to show proof of gun registration? I never have, just a PAL/POL and my Hunting License (not that I've been checked out a bunch, but a couple times I have at a checkstop). I carry laminated copies of mine just in case though.

ruger#1
10-01-2005, 01:01 PM
i have been through game checks and nobody has asked me yet, this is what i would do as it has to be with the weapon all the time. laminate your card for you gun or rifle, take the butt plate off of your butt stock. put card in hole for tightening down your but stock. its safe and with your rifle at all times and only takes two screws to retreive it out.

Schmaus
10-01-2005, 03:09 PM
I was asked last year in a game check "are these rifles all registered" I said yup, but I'm not carrying any of the paperwork. The officer just told us to try and remember the papers for next time, didn't really seem to be enforcing the registry.

ratherbefishin
10-01-2005, 03:17 PM
sounds like it all comes down to who you are dealing with,but I'm going to carry mine just in case-I'd hate to have my hunt ruined.

Gateholio
10-01-2005, 03:34 PM
I was checked by a CO the other day, he didn't even want to look at my rifle, jsut my HL.

I't sunlikely you will be getting BC CO's to check for PAL's and Reg papers, but the RCMP who are often with them may.

Youwon't get chucked in jail in BC, though...

bochunk2000
10-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I was on my way home from hunting a while back. I had taken the rifle out ror a walk. I had stopped to watch a buck under at street light when a cop came up behind me. He asked me what I was doing. I told him about not seiing any until I get back to town, and was just watching. He asked if I had a rifle and if it had been fired that knight. I had taken one shot earlier for fun. Miles away from where I was now. He said that they had shots fired complaints. Another sqaud car showed up. They took my info and even when I offered declined to see my gun. They had no interest. They never asked for registration papers or a licence.

Sikanni Stalker
10-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Hmmm, I was stopped in Houston last spring during a bear hunt. He asked about my guns,told him we had two. He made me show him they weren't loaded and breach was clear and that was it. I thought our PAL was enough. A quick call and they can find out if the guns we are carrying are registered or not???? Is the papers required in the feild really?

thanks

ratherbefishin
10-02-2005, 04:08 PM
that's the irony of it-registering the weapons is supposed to make it easy for any police officer to check a name and see what firearms are registered to them-so on that basis, an RCMP officer should be able to type in your name and see if the firearm you are carrying is registered under your name-making carrying the actual registration card redundant

jonz
10-02-2005, 04:54 PM
I have been asked by an RCMP officer to show the reg papers while out on a logging road north of Merrit. CO's just want to see hunting licenses from what I have seen. Carry em or a copy at all times to be safe.