PDA

View Full Version : Were Fraser Canyon Elk introduced?

Kapow
12-01-2008, 09:54 AM
or native to the area around Lytton?

Jetboater
12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
they were introduced into the area... a big 5 point was killed last year from a semi... right next to the mill... they cross the road alot to winter down on the mill grounds....last year there was a 300+inch bull down there with over 35 cows.....

Old Boar
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM
I believe the current population of Elk on the Fraser near Lytton are from an introduction, but don't recall the year and original herd size. Have seen one Bull overlooking Hwy. 5 from the west side above the Coldwater River.

12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
It is my understanding that these are a transplant from the Rockies, I was told years ago by a reliable source in the MOE that it was 2 groups, one group from the Hinton ALBERTA area. They sure do get big, I know of one family that bagged several bulls when the season was open over a number of years. Some are monsters !
To bad they have been poached and taken out by traffic to the point that there is not even an LEH for them.
CT

Machinist
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
There used to be a LEH draw for cows in the Lytton area in the 80's , i was lucky enough to get two leh's in that area in five years , they were late season draws , we used to camp at the Skihist prov, camp site just off the hwy and hunt the hills above there. I am not sure of when they stopped the Leh season Too bad it was productive.

vortex
12-01-2008, 08:08 PM
One of the land owners up there told me in the 80's he counted over 120 elk on his property in front of his house. Now there is only a small fraction of that herd remaining.