PDA

View Full Version : TOP This!

Ian F.
11-30-2008, 08:37 PM
So today the tides where perfect to chase pintails and widgeon, so the plan was for a trophy shoot trying for a 2 x4. That is 4 drake pins, and same for widgeon. Got out in good time, and set with no one to be seen. I was hunting the flats in the short grass with the pod and took extra care to get it all covered up in drifted eel grass and smartweed. All and all things looks good!

The day started out slow with not many birds flying, but the hanging mist can do funny things with the birds and well today, as you find out was funny indeed! I missed a corker drake pintail early, but it was early still over an hour till high tide and usually high tide is the flight. Next a group of widgeon came in and I dropped a nice drake from the bunch. Ahh maybe the worst shooting slump of my life is coming to an end?

A few more groups, nothing close enough to confirm status, remember this is a trophy shoot, going for a 2 x 4

So I’m in that semi-comatose state hunkered in the pod in the grass scanning for birds when all of a sudden for behind to the right a series of shots ring out. Holy frijoles batman! Not 50.yards away two guys think it’s o.k to sky bust at a flock of widgeon. I sit up and make my presence known.

YOU’RE TOO CLOSE! They point at the birds in the air

YOU’RE TOO CLOSE! They point at the birds in the air again

YOU’RE TOO (fill in the blank) CLOSE! They hunker down in the grass looking just like two guys hunkered down in the grass!

We’ll I hope they don’t stay there because I’ll never get another chance with a couple of high shooters, and well I don’t want to be shot either!

About 10 mins later they decide to move on and go shoot at airplanes somewhere else.

I think to myself there’s still a good chance at a 2 x4… well next thing you know I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye. I sit up, turn and my lord I just about fall over. No tweedle and is brother did not return, it’s a guy on a bike holding a cup of coffee! He’s wearing a black hoodie and black pants and looks as out of place in the marsh as you can be! Now to qualify about 400 meters away is a public path, but he’s out in the marsh, with his bike at the waters edge!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bikeguy.jpg

So I make sure the guy knows I’m there and he walks over and stands watching things on a log not 30 yards away! Is he all there? He walks back towards his bike so I purposely let a round into the water go just so he’s 100% certain I’m hunting, now out sitting in the marsh enjoying a cup of coffee. So he move over about 100 yards or so away and just seems to be looking for something, I mean for over an hour this guys is petering around the marsh like he’s looking for his car keys!

Well this hunt has gone to hell! I figure I’ll sit it out for a bit, till the tide turns and pull the pin early. I mean can it get any worse?

Short answer, YES!

Over comes the 3 musketeers and once again I sit up and they keep coming, so once again I let a round go into the water and they finally pay attention. So instead of giving me a wide berth they set up on the next point not 200 meters from me! Well my day is all but done, but I decide to sit for a little just in case. Hell I have a show to watch, the bike guy is still looking for his car keys and the 3 musketeers are setting up a see through blind, 2 robo’s and maybe 4 decoys on the water in a spot that in 40 mins will be a mud flat. Well very early they get to pat each others back as they knock down a pintail before the blind is even up. The bird sails out 300-400 meters and drops with a splash. Not one of them made an effort to retrieve it! I’m 200 yards away and I saw it go down! Boy do I wish there was a warden around! They finish setting up their blind and scratch a widgeon with 9 shells.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3idiots.jpg

Every flock that goes buy gets WWIII and between the 3 musketeers and don’t forget the bike guy is still looking for his keys my hunt is done. Anything working my spread gets anti-aircraft fire at the outer markers and the words of my buddy Rick ring true, when it aint fun go home because it’s supposed to be fun!

So my trophy hunt for a 2 x 4 didn’t really materialize but I do have one hell of a story!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/widgwruger.jpg

Oh, and I almost forgot….

On the way to the truck, a guy stops on the road and I walk over and low and behold it’s a friend of mine I haven’t seen since September and after the requisite telling of the tell and BS, he helps me load my gear and I head off to Krispy Kreme to surprise Sherrill with her favorite doughnuts.

Hopefully Wednesday the snows co-operate!

Ian

6 K
11-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Nice Shotgun.

Sasquatch
11-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Sorry you didn't get your 2X4 Ian. 'Nother day for sure.

Unfortunately, there are Aholes all over the place and you never know where you will find them. Those yahoos sound like they need a visit from a CO.

At least they are the exception and not the rule.

Marc
11-30-2008, 09:39 PM
That sounds like Cowichan Bay written all over it. You couldn't get yourself away from the yahoos somewhere they couldn't get to without a boat? I had something similar happen to me opening day and had some bird watchers set up no more then 100 yards away with their telescopic lenses waiting for birds to come into my spread. One was wearing a red rain coat and the other was wearing bright yellow. I think they believed they were real ducks until a couple fell out of the sky and a dog picked them up.:mrgreen:

I try to now set up where only serious duck hunters would make an effort to try and be. Another time we had a kayaker make his way towards our spread until the shotguns went off and birds fell from the sky then he decided that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to take a closer look at the ducks on the water. It kind of worked in our favor that day as we were the only ones on the bay that morning and no birds were flying. He inadvertently managed to push a few that came to our spread.

If you're comming over for the holidays bring your pod. There are tonnes of widgeon here as well.

Marc.

dutchie
11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Well this story difinatly does not top yours but...

Saturday am we got in before light got set up and were waiting for the birds. 2 Flocks came over and we had one commit to our decoys and we took it. About 30 mins after sunrise another group of hunters came on and were hunting not even 100yds away from us. (we were directlu in the middle of a 25 acre alph-alpha feild with cows. (25 acres divided into 3 feilds. so they get there, push the cows into our feild and then were shooting at anything within 100 yds.

Thier calling sounded like a bunch of frogs and at one point we had a flock cupped and commiting to our decoys, the other hunters saw that and ripped a shot off at them from 150 yds away to try to pull them into thier spinner. we tried to figure out what they were shooting at and there was not a bird around them... the closest ones were now about 50 yrds from us, going the other way now.

we packed up and hammerd the birds for the night hunt! took 9 in total yesterday.

karma rules!

dutchie

Ian F.
12-01-2008, 03:07 PM
THe gun is a Ruger Red Label O/U all weather stainless, or as I like to say the ultimate wetcoast shotgun!

I thought I was past the yahoo zone, but I was wrong.

And yes Marc I'll probably bring the pod over and we can hook up one day in your area and chase some sea ducks in my spots if you want.

The good news is the weather looks good for Wednesday!

Ian

levind
12-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Ian F,

I am one of the three guys and why anyone would starts calling us ass**les is beyond me. When we arrived we saw one guy asked him if he was hunting and he said no as it was this guy on a bike. We set up 150 to 200 yards way from him. Didn't see anyone else hunting and don't know how far you were. Yes we took a shot and got a duck that landed 300-400 yards alive in the bay. I've hunted that bay and that spot for many years and unless you want to go swimming in you waiters that was a lost duck. I'm sorry you never had a lost duck before guess you are better than most of us. As for the other ducks we had to retrieve in waist high water guess those don't count. We didn't sky bust, all ducks were shot coming into decoys. WWIII sure buddy if you don't like hunting with people around go to a farm with permission and even there you will be lucky not to be hunting with someone else around. We are out to have fun and take some ducks home. Didn't know we were only aloud to shot a certain amount of shells per duck or that anyone was counting we will work on that next time.

If we were sky busting at ducks you might have a case to complain but you better get use to it because you will go to a lot of places and find alot of people skybusting.

You really need to grow up.

NEEHAMA
12-02-2008, 11:31 AM
WOW, ! well said, i too will unload at will on my duck shot's. i have a dog so i recover most, (not all) but most of my cripples.

nobody owns mud bay.

someone is leaving spent shells out there though so try to keep er clean or we could loose this spot.

12-02-2008, 12:07 PM
beats being at work though.

mijinkal
12-02-2008, 12:09 PM
this thread just got interesting . . .
There's always 2 sides to the story.

Ian F.
12-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Well levind we both know that you could have walked quite a ways in the bay that day with a dropping tide and at least tried to get the bird, not even trying says it all! You do realize what you just admitted on a public forum?

The rest is my opinion versus yours.

Hope to not be so close to you in the future,

Very best,

Ian

levind
12-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Ian i know how far and how dangerous that bay is with all the underwater ditches. But i guess someone in a pod doesn't have the same worries as someone walking to retrieve a live bird 300-400 yards away in the bay.

We all have opinions but you sir twist thing to make other hunters look bad and that is not cool in my opinion.

Hope you are the hunter you make yourself out to be as i don't think many of us could come close to having the same character as you. Good or Bad depends who you talk to i guess.

Good Hunting