PDA

View Full Version : Going in 5-14 (Alexis Creek) ,Help?

Shawn
09-29-2005, 10:11 PM
I got a bull Draw and a doe draw for 5-14,I put in 4 the wrong area by accident so I'm going in blind,Is there anyone out there that could steer me in the right direction,thanks

hitch
09-29-2005, 11:02 PM
There's No deer in Alexis Creek!:neutral:

BlacktailStalker
09-29-2005, 11:15 PM
LoL theres actually lots of deer in Alexis Creek. I know a guy who just arrived up there as of yesterday and he said there is so many deer up there. He's primarily going for moose, but is also looking for a quality buck. He said he didnt think he would be up there long with the amount of activity he has seen.

Good luck

Boo
09-30-2005, 07:15 AM
First off Alexis Creek is not "in" 5-14 but rather the spot where the far western edge of 5-14, the south end of 5-13 and the top of 5-4 intersect.

You will be hunting an area that stretches from just north of the Gang Ranch to just South of Quesnel and uses the Fraser River as it's Eastern border. It is a great area but does see a lot of huning pressure. Note that there is a hunting closure on Sharptail grouse in a large part of 5-14.

There are moose in that area but also a lot of hunters, both native and non-native, looking for them.

You would have to be the most unlucky person in the world in order to not get a doe in there. Do make sure the deer you are shooting is a mulie though as there are a fair number of whitetails showing up on the West side of the Fraser lately.

Foxer
09-30-2005, 09:27 AM
I was just up by alexis creek - saw a big whitetail buck! (in the words of hoyt axton, i was personally astounded :) ) And it's that much harder to tell without horns, so look twice shoot once :)

shortroot
09-30-2005, 10:49 AM
I haven't hunted 5-14 for moose, but the Palmer Lake FSR should take you into some good country, just watch out because some of the roads head back west into 5-13. There are also some nice roads taking off of the West Fraser Road (heading west, away from the river) that could be promising. Two of the three largest bucks I have ever seen have been in 5-14, both typicals in the 175"+ class, the larger one was probably pushing 185"+. Try the Mackin creek FSR for some good deer hunting, shouldn't be a problem to get a doe, or between the top of Sheepcreek hill and Riske Creek.

Good luck with your bull.

Boo
09-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Two of the three largest bucks I have ever seen have been in 5-14, both typicals in the 175"+ class, the larger one was probably pushing 185"+.

The largest - score wise - mule deer I have ever shot came from 5-14 about 25 years ago.
It was a 4x4 typical that went 177 net. He was also the heaviest mule deer I have ever shot as he was ~340 pounds hanging on the butcher's hook after being gutted. He was probably damn close to 400 pounds live-weight. (When I walked up to him after the shot I thought I had killed a young elk for a few seconds!)

todbartell
09-30-2005, 12:07 PM
come on 'boo, scan a pic and show us :mrgreen: :razz:

Boo
09-30-2005, 12:47 PM
No pics that I can find, sorry.

Next time I go visit my dad I will take some pics of the rack which I left hanging in his rec-room.

hitch
09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
I saw a mulie that would score at least 180, last week up there. Saw him at about 1:00 am and looked for him the whole next day. He's still out there.:cry: