PDA

View Full Version : Starter flies.

kastles
11-30-2008, 12:43 PM
My dad wants to get into fly fishing so i know what to get him for xmas. flies. What would be a good starter mix to get him? he will be going up to merrit after ice off this year, not sure where though. and (question people in the lml) have tou been to the new fly shop in langley? i don't have the eye for what good flies look like, so maybe on of yous could tell me if they're good or not? thanks in advance. kastles

newhunterette
11-30-2008, 12:53 PM
tom thumbs in browns and olive colours, doc spratleys, maribou leeches in black, burgundies, olives and browns, whooly buggers in the same colours as black, burgundies, and browns, olive - all very good to start off with for trout fishing, chronomids are also great and there is a variety of colouts and styles as well for those

Browningmirage
11-30-2008, 12:57 PM
or buy him some fly tying gear...its addicting

Jagermeister
11-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I think that the most versatile fly that you can have in your flybox is the Muddler Minnow. It suggests fish like a sculpin minnow, but if it is tied in a drab green, it can be fished as a helgramite or on the surface as a grasshopper. Good for all fish.
As someone suggested, get a fly tying kit. Years ago, when I started, the first fly that I tried tying was a simple fly that was peacock herl wound on the hook for a body and finished with a brown hackle. I kept tying the one fly until I got the material placement correct. Those that were screwed up were stripped and re-tyed. After I mastered that, I tyed the Royal Coachman and kept tying that until I mastered that to my satisfaction. I actually purchased a well tyed Royal Coachman and used it for a comparison. I would take the purchased one and shake it up with a handful that I tied and see if I could pick out the one I bought. When I could no longer differentiate the flies, I moved on to tying other patterns.

boxhitch
11-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Ali, you nailed it. Good on ya.
My top three would be a Tom Thumb (anything floating), Doc Spratley (great attractor), And the Half-back (bottom dwellers).
additional colors would be better, and scissors to trim into other imitations allows variety.
Forget tying, until he's hooked.

Sasquatch
11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
I think that the most versatile fly that you can have in your flybox is the Muddler Minnow.

I have to agree with the MM as first choice for an attractor. The things work almost anywhere.

With a handful of muddlers in different sizes, a selection of soft hackles and a few half-backs you could fish most lakes.

johnk
12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Depending on when after iceoff he is going the Tom Thumb may be a waste of time fishing unless his trip is after late May. After iceoff and before turnover bloodworms and dragonfly nymphs migrate back to the shallows so flies to imitate them would be effective; Red Spratley, bright red micro leech, Red Carey, etc. and either Dragonfly Nymphs or large olive Woolly Buggers. Anchoring in the shallows and casting off the shoals is the desired method. The '52 Buick is an often ignored pattern that is extremely versatile in size 14-6. Pre-turnover usually gets juvenile damsels active as well but I think you would be hard pressed to find an actual damsel pattern in size 16 which is about the size you need.

Being a commercial tyer for the past 15 years let me warn you, there are lots of crap flies tied offshore being sold in fishing stores. I would contact Terry at Reaction Fly and Tackle in Abbotsford and pick his brain. There's lots of picking to do there.

Chironomid fishing in not recommended for someone new to the sport though trolling chironomids or winddrifting can yield results. Shrimp are always a good bet as there is no wrong way to fish shrimp/scud patterns. So if you get a selection of attractor patterns, leeches, shrimp and a few chironomids/bloodworms he should be set.

Like a previous post mentioned, don't ever let him start tying as it will consume his life! If you saw my basement you would run away screaming!

shantz
12-04-2008, 10:37 AM
x2 for johnk, I fish the Merrit area a lot and i have very good luck with '52 buicks, leeches, damsels (olive) and wolly buggers.

Tying will consume your life if it sees a window.

newhunterette
12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I was taught fly tying when I was 5 years old - I liked the pretty feathers - then when I realized what I was actually doing I tied all the flys for my dad's fishing friends (my dad never fly fished) then I met Peter and well he lives for fly fishing and he bought me a fly tying kit and every year I make up a wack of his favourite flies for derbies he goes on and have since taught Azshia how to do it so she can make her own flies.

I enjoy tying when I am at the cabin as it is a peaceful activity to do when everyone else is out doing their thing.

first fly I ever tied and caught a fish with was a tom thumb :)

boxhitch
12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Cooks and hunts and tie flies.....
Can you send a picture of your boat ?? My friend needs a wife....

PGK
12-04-2008, 12:02 PM
lol. Tom thumb? People still use those?

johnk
12-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I was taught fly tying when I was 5 years old - I liked the pretty feathers - then when I realized what I was actually doing I tied all the flys for my dad's fishing friends (my dad never fly fished) then I met Peter and well he lives for fly fishing and he bought me a fly tying kit and every year I make up a wack of his favourite flies for derbies he goes on and have since taught Azshia how to do it so she can make her own flies.

I enjoy tying when I am at the cabin as it is a peaceful activity to do when everyone else is out doing their thing.

first fly I ever tied and caught a fish with was a tom thumb :)

Tom Thumbs still have their place. They still shine, albeit, in a fading light!
I don't use them as dries any more but when the travellers are emerging, Cast your Tom Thumb onto the ginclear shoal with an intermediate sink line and once the leader sinks the fly start stripping like a mad bugger. It's as close to sight fishing for bonefish you'll find in BC. The hits are violent and "Tom" is still the best Caddis Emerger commercially tied today. The reason being if you look at the naturals, during emergence the wings are thrust forward out the crack in the cuticle and at that moment it resembles a Tom Thumb very closely.
Today's Entomology Class is now over. Please collect your texts and, in an expedient fashion, proceed to your next class!:-P

Chuck
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
lol. Tom thumb? People still use those?

The hottest fly I know!
But then again, it isn't so much the fly as it is the time of year, geographic area, type of water, etc. etc. etc.
He was right in asking what flies to use...and in what area - that's very important to know.

Marsh Hawk Jr.
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
i prefever to use a leach or a doc bratly when fishing for trout

Dirty
01-11-2009, 10:32 PM
i prefever to use a leach or a doc bratly when fishing for trout

What is a leach and a doc bratly?

Tarp Man
01-11-2009, 11:45 PM
As some people on here can attest, I am a soft hackle fanatic. I fish them both on a sink tip line and a dry line as emergers. I am not as well versed as some, but they work like a scalded cat. The suggestions you have been given will set you right. Is the new store Galillee Fly Fishers? I have heard good things about them, but they are brand new. My favorite shop is Reaction Fly and Tackle, here in Abbotsford. They are right off Hwy#1 at Whatcom Road heading east past Abby. Any of the guys there can set you right.

My fishing up country is somewhat limited, but right after ice off you are going to need to find where the fish are feeding. In the past years, they seem to feed fairly shallow, and follow where the sun is hitting the lake, as it will warm the surface temp slightly. I would be looking for patterns such as these:

1. Doc Spratley (also known as the "Bratley"? - must be a bird thing)
2. Carey Special
3. Micro leeches in natural colours and red for bloodworm patterns
4. Hare's ear nymph
5. Dragonfly nymph

All these patterns are basic, and fish really well. If he is just getting into flyfishing, make sure he goes with someone who knows what they are doing. Also, Reaction Fly and Tackle has casting clinics once a month out in Cultus Lake. They are free and worth their weight in gold for improving casting or just the basic learning.

srupp
01-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I agree with Tarpmans list EXCEPT..:mrgreen:...I would have to add the chronomid....and recomend you learn how to fish them..they are deadly and I have caught up to 16 pound rainbows on various colors and sizes from teeeeeny 2o's to big bombers in size 10 mostly 12's and 14's..black is the best color...with a red but..however the silver can be deadly...

After 30 years of fly fishing and tying and a POOP load of tying gear..:roll: I have tied up a fair amount of fly patterns and have at least 2,000 flies tied up.."just in case" lol

cheers

Steven

PGK
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I would like to see a picture of a 16lb chironomid caught rainbow trout :biggrin:

Dirty
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I would like to see a picture of a 16lb chironomid caught rainbow trout :biggrin:

It was a typo, he meant 16". This is a hunting website, let's keep the fish stories to a dull roar. We have all seen the debacle that has become of the open chat. Let's not ruin the fishing forum.

toyotadon
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I agree with Tarpmans list EXCEPT..:mrgreen:...I would have to add the chronomid....and recomend you learn how to fish them..they are deadly and I have caught up to 16 pound rainbows on various colors and sizes from teeeeeny 2o's to big bombers in size 10 mostly 12's and 14's..black is the best color...with a red but..however the silver can be deadly...

After 30 years of fly fishing and tying and a POOP load of tying gear..:roll: I have tied up a fair amount of fly patterns and have at least 2,000 flies tied up.."just in case" lol

cheers

Steven

bahahaha
pics.....please:mrgreen:

its spelled chironomid.
and to generalize productive chironomid patterns like you did is hardly accurate.
To say something like 'black is the best' makes me think you arent the chironomid fisher you profess to be,anyone who has successfully fished them will tell you what works in the morning might be completely different from what is coming off at night:wink:

johnk
01-22-2009, 08:09 AM
bahahaha
pics.....please:mrgreen:

its spelled chironomid.
and to generalize productive chironomid patterns like you did is hardly accurate.
To say something like 'black is the best' makes me think you arent the chironomid fisher you profess to be,anyone who has successfully fished them will tell you what works in the morning might be completely different from what is coming off at night:wink:

Toyotadon, why is it every post you submit makes one think you're trying to stir the pot?

SRupp is the last guy on this site who needs defending but I will anyways. He did not say black is best but said he has caught 'bows up to 16 lbs. on various colours of chironomids. For the record the black with red wire rib and a red butt is the top producing chironomid pattern there is. Often when no chironomids are hatching in lakes with regular hatches you can still hook multiple fish on this pattern because more often than not it is a colour combination the fish are used to seeing. When a hatch is on I am sure srupp is experienced enough to match the hatch.

I have never caught a 16 lb. 'bow on a chironomid but I don't fish Sheridan regularly like Mr. Rupp but I have fished Island Lake for almost 20 years and have caught fish to 32" on size 16 chironomids. I imagine that would equate to around 12 lbs. don't really know without taking girth measurements and doing the equation considering Island is C&R.

A couple years ago I was tying commercially on Mustad C49S' and a customer complained about the hooks straightening so I consulted our local Mustad Pro Staffer, Brian Chan and he said he had caught fish to 13# on them with no ill effects.

Toyotadon, if you were to go to a Chan chironomid seminar you would hear him say the black and red is the first colour he puts on despite the hatch. I, personally, would rather say nothing and have everyone assume me a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!:cool:

horshur
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM

steve jennings has pics...they probably would show you if you stopped in a little fort fly shop and asked.

Geo.338
01-22-2009, 10:31 AM
We fished the Merrit area a few years back after ice off .Bugundy wooly bugger was the preffered fly and also a rabbit strip leech in black or burgundy .Burgundy was the most successful though tied very simply .

PGK
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
steve jennings has pics...they probably would show you if you stopped in a little fort fly shop and asked.

Yup, I'm gonna drive all the way to little fort to verify that in fact, fly fishermen do lie (or misinterpret) about fish size :lol: No thanks, I've seen 8lb bows touted as 15 before

PGK
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Start here. Once you get to here, tie three more double wide boxes. Then you'll be caught up to me

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/Random-Flies-Boxes.jpg

Tarp Man
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Ooops. I forgot to mention the chironomid. I have seen and heard of these being the cat's whiskers, but I can't stand staring at an indicator all day long. Even for a big fish. I need action! I can usually deal with an hour or two of slow finger crawling retrieves with these ity bity things. I do like to fish the small midge/chironomid patterns, though. Sizes 18 and 20 are my favorites. And yes, black seems to work the most frequently and in the most varied waters. But who am I. I fish soft hackles. OLD SCHOOL RULES!

martyonthewater
01-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I am partial to deer hair dragon nymphs like Alf Davies' "bottom walker" or Jim Crawfords "gomphus" myself, but that's just cause I prefer to catch big fish.

BlacktailStalker
01-22-2009, 11:50 PM
My late grandfather landed well over a dozen 'bows over 15lbs on Chironomids that I knew of.

I know 2 other guys who have fish to their credit over 15lbs on the same, 20-30' leaders, tactics that most guys wouldnt think of or things they'd think didnt matter, all secrets they'll take to their grave.
I'm an avid fly fisherman but nowhere near the caliber they are.

Just because something isn't a common occurance doesnt mean it doesnt happen Toyotadon.

ElkMasterC
01-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Thirty foot leader...........?

The way I cast, I'd be wearing that most of the day.

PGK
01-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Probably long lining chironomids. You basically keep a tight line to the chronny and try to fake its rise up thru the water column. Can be very effective if conditions are right. But chironomids are not my style, you can see maybe a dozen in my box top right

BCrams
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
It appears from PGK's flybox collection - he prefers river / stream fishing over lake fishing.

BlacktailStalker
01-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Elkmaster; Yeah tell me about it. Also with such a fine tippet you'd think you'd have to wait an eternity after coming off the back cast.

PGK
01-23-2009, 05:01 PM
It appears from PGK's flybox collection - he prefers river / stream fishing over lake fishing.

You only know that cause I told you :lol: