PDA

View Full Version : “Hard Working" Tunkwa Buck

BigSlapper
11-29-2008, 10:10 PM
So … my grandfather, having endured the depression years, living off the land and “eating what you kill”, always espoused “nothing good ever comes easy”. It was part of his creed, but that’s a story for another day. I’m pretty sure as a 15 year old I never quite understood what he was getting at as there were always steaks in our freezer and a car to drive me to the rink. He certainly caught me rolling my eyes many times while he went off “half baked” about the “youth of today” and “when I was your age” blah, blah, blah. Well gramps, I’m now 45 and you’ve long since passed on, I think of you every day and I’ve had some time to reflect on the lessons you passed along - and you were right … nothing good ever comes easy .
And so begins my lengthy tale …
I had planned well in advance for a 7 day late September trip into Region 3, and if I was skunked, a late October return trip. My thought was this would be ample time to fill both Mulie and White Tail tags. The area I planned to hunt had both … and the odd October spike/fork moose to keep things interesting. One thing is certain however, and that is we can never count on the weather. Generally we have to take what we get. Well, what I got in late September and late October were some of the most beautiful tropical breezes imaginable. Hell, 2 of the days in October I hunted in shorts and a t-shirt! Go figure. No bigger animals-no movement … nothing but a few bruins, a thousand grouse and a bunch of small deer. Heading back home empty handed, not once but twice, did not sit well. I made up my mind that I was going to put in some time and work to make things happen. I immediately planned my 3rd trip, 2 weeks out (November 10th), in order to coincide with the rut. Or at least that was the thinking. I packed the truck and camper and pulled into my area on the 10th, some 3 ½ hours later only to experience 12 degree temps – in mid November! Couple that with learning the rut was behind schedule by at least a week or maybe two, made for another miserable empty handed drive back home, 3 days later.
And so now it was “game on”.
Thrice daily on-line weather checks, phone calls to locals, anything I could do to get a leg up. Finally the forecast called for ‘flurries” November 24th, overnight temps were in the minus teens and there was sign the rut was picking up pace. Hiking into my area the morning of the 24th, I acknowledged this was more like it. I hunted hard the entire day. I saw a 3x3 and two smaller 2x2’s along with 10 or so does. The cool temps had definitely kicked everything into gear. Rubs, scrapes, urine, nervous does … all the goodies one wants and expects to see, just no snow. The 25th dawned cold and overcast with a good deal of wind and my high hopes of snow. I picked out numerous deer throughout the morning, seeing for the second time both small 2x2’s, 8 to 10 does and the south end of a north bound buck, high tailing it to anywhere but close to me. I couldn’t count points fast enough but I certainly recognized the wide spread. Proof they were around, just not showing themselves. Gramps always said “they don’t grow big by being stupid”. I had decided to hunt the whole day through, having my pack full of grub and essentials. Around 1:00 pm I bumped into a moose cow and calf … we played Mexican stand-off, at 75 yards, for 10 minutes until they went on there way. Neat. I made the mental note to check the LEH regs and perhaps try my luck with the “lottery” – a surprising amount of moose sign and even a couple live ones for next year. Looking to the sky and hoping for snow, I decided to make my way down “main street” of the slash I was in and, following the main skidder trail in the wide open, I set up at the back end facing into the wind. To hell if the deer that I had already seen, saw me, I was holding out for the big boy who I hoped would make his way from the timber out into the open. At least that was the plan. For the next two hours I sat shivering in my make-shift ground blind (-10 and windy) wondering what the hell I was doing, where was the snow, and damn, those wolves that are howling sure seem to be getting mighty close. I wondered if the deer thought this as well? It was 4:00 pm and I was actually thinking about packing it in when higher up in the corner of the draw, I caught movement. As if by magic he had just appeared, walking out of the timber to present himself on the ridge. I could see his rack from where I sat and needed only a 2 second binocular check to confirm 4 solid points on both sides and a big body. Unfortunately it always happens one is seldom fully prepared and of course I had not set up my shooting sticks for quick action. So, gun up, deer in scope, confirm again the 4 points, safety off, a split second wondering if the slight waver would affect the shot (shut out the thought and trust in your training), deep breath, hold … BOOM.
Now those of us that have killed deer know the sound of a solid hit. This I heard. We also know a solid hit by the way the animal reacts. This was demonstrated by the buck’s 3 foot leap in the air, hunched back, and legs wind-milling mid air looking to touch down and take off. This, I also witnessed. I knew I had hit him hard. It was 4:10 pm and I had about 20 minutes of light left and apparently a lot of hard work ahead of me. I didn’t yet realize how true this would be. I made my way slowly over to the opposite ridge to find my prize which I expected would be close to the point of impact. I found blood, but no deer. By this time it was quite dark so I “installed” my headlamp and found myself walking overlapping circles in a 300 yard area, trying to find my buck. I knew he could not have gone far and that the Barnes TSX bullet (130 gr.) I used, would do it’s job as it had always done. Back to the circles. The circles went on for over an hour. I’m not sure of the record for dropping “f-bombs” in a one hour period while walking circles wearing a headlamp - but I think I now own it. It became evident that I was not going to find this deer alone (yup, did I say I was hunting alone?) in the pitch black and that I would have to come back at first light. I was also worried about the wolves that were yapping and barking off in the distance. Free meals don’t come around too often for a wolf. Stopping in to see the good folks at Tunkwa Lake Resort on the way out of the bush, Rich offered to head out on his Rhino with me at first light. I took him up on the offer and arranged to meet at the resort the next morning.
Waking up at 5:30 and looking out the camper door, I was distressed to find 4 inches of snow had fallen and would obviously hamper my chances of finding my deer. Go figure! When you want it you don’t get it … when you don’t, well …
On the way back in to find my buck, with 4 inches of fresh powder, it was one of those magical mornings. Blue sky, no wind, -15, fresh snow and probably 100+ sets of fresh tracks over the kilometers we covered. It was a rough area to get the Rhino into but I had instant respect for what these vehicles can do. When close, I quickly outlined to Rich, where I had shot from, the point of impact and the direction the buck took off when hit. No sooner had I finished setting the stage for Rich, when I had turned back to continue looking and saw the “rack” laying in the snow. I couldn’t believe my luck as I was sure, with the new snow and a lost blood trail, that it was going to be 50/50 finding the damn thing.
Well, some work getting it out (265 lbs), a couple 8:30 am celebratory cold brews, a new mount for the wall and the thought of backstraps and landesjeager sausage … should keep me going until next season.
Thanks Rich for your help … and JohnK – the world needs more folk like you. A sincere thank you.

doubled
11-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I would say congrats are in order. Lucky you got to it before anyone else.

Gateholio
11-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Well done to keep at it!

Nivce buck, and be sure to enter it in contest!

The Hermit
11-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Good story too! Well written and fun... enter it to some mags!

Chasinracks
11-30-2008, 02:09 AM
that spot looks like 4120. Be careful around that spot, it's johnk's playground and i heared he got it all boobie trapped before he left. haha, nice buck, nice story!

hunter1947
11-30-2008, 05:39 AM
Great buck as for your wright up ,congrats to you getting this fine animal.

huntwriter
11-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Great story and great buck. Congratulations. Persistence is what pays in the end.

johnk
11-30-2008, 06:59 AM
that spot looks like 4120. Be careful around that spot, it's johnk's playground and i heared he got it all boobie trapped before he left. haha, nice buck, nice story!

Ah yes, the booby traps! Well, BigSlapper and I have exchanged e-mails so many times over the past couple months that he, by now, must surely know where all the "booby traps" are.

To know what work and homework it took to harvest this buck, I can't think of anyone more deserving. After his first trip to Tunkwa in September BS sent me a CD of photos from their trip. How many guys would do that? I told him how much I,ve been missing home this hunting season and he sent me a photo of my chair in one of my groundblinds, cool!

So BigSlapper a big congratulations to you and enjoy the fruits of your labours. Nice buck and very well written account. Oh by the way I've got the Tag Stew simmering on the stove and I hate it when it's overcooked so I better go!

Congrats to all the HBC members who harvested Tunkwa bucks this banner season and for the rest, there are still 10 days left. Here, today is the last day of hunting season and I'm working 6-6. Damn that work thing!

TIKA 300
11-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Great buck and story,congrats....

Nimrod
11-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Hey BigSlapper
congratulations!! sleep much that night, talk about unnerving.
You have some real talent as a writer, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story.

ElectricDyck
11-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Nice write up, perseverance pays off again, congrats!

whitespringer
11-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Congrats on a great buck, and a good read!

Piperdown
11-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Congrats on the beauty. I had a similiar story same place only a couple of weeks earlier. By myself last light and couldn't find my deer that night also. It was the first time that I had to leave an animal over night and it didn't sit well with me. Found it first thing next morning after a sleepless night. Thanks also to Johnk, didn't have much success uploading the pic on here but it is on the Tunkwa website, orange hat/big smile and also with it piled up against the tree where it layed to rest. As a new member on this site I would like to say how much I am enjoying it. Good luck to you all.

Piperdown

betteroffishing
11-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Good story too! Well written and fun... enter it to some mags!

as he said , great read, you should write for money.

kennyj
11-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Great buck and excellent story.
kenny

gameslayer
11-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Good Read, Congrats on final success Bigslapper. One question I Sausage maker refuses to make landesjeager sausage out of deer (not fatty enough). I know he did it once and it tasted great Have you had any problems ? Congrats again and to your persistance.

Ovis17
11-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Congrats on your buck and good story. How do you like your Columbia wool camo?? I just picked up the same stuff.

BigSlapper
11-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Appreciate all the comments and yes, I've always enjoyed writing but have never really done anything with it ... and the buck, it was definitely a "blue collar" buck for sure. I think I worked harder for this one than any other.

GameSlayer: talk to Ullie at Sumas Meats about their sausages. They do a nice job and give you about 10 different choices (I'm also having Beer & Garlic prepared). I always have 10-20 lbs of landesjeager done up. You can stick it in your pocket and not worry about it .... a bite out of sausage, cut a good chunk of cheese and wash down with a small flask of vino ... a nice little lunch!
Ram Stalker; Love the Columbia Wool Camo!!! ... I've always been a wool guy. I like the warmth and absolutely love being quiet in the bush ... this stuff is perfect for any of our regions that are somewhat dry and cold - worked well for me this trip in region 3)

...now, I have some better pictures but can't seem to post them (size?) ... can any of you help out with posting these?

BigSlapper

KevinB
11-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Congratulations BigSlapper, on a well-earned buck! Glad you managed to find him. I'm another guy who has recieved some help from JohnK, he was very helpful and through his advice I managed to put a nice whitetail in the freezer a few weeks ago. He is a very generous fellow to be sure.

Salty
11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
...now, I have some better pictures but can't seem to post them (size?) ... can any of you help out with posting these?

BigSlapper

Google and join photobucket or similar hosting site. Follow their directions to upload your photos to your new account there. Then copy the url of the photo from there and past it here using the 'insert image' icon. ..

johnk
11-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Congratulations BigSlapper, on a well-earned buck! Glad you managed to find him. I'm another guy who has recieved some help from JohnK, he was very helpful and through his advice I managed to put a nice whitetail in the freezer a few weeks ago. He is a very generous fellow to be sure.

It took me awhile to clue into the value of this forum. I don't post on any other Hunting Forum as I believe I have found a home here and am only too happy to offer advice on the only little piece of hunting country I know anything about. Outside of the Tunkwa/Chataway area I would be lost. I think many accolades should go out to the moderators of this forum for the job they do keeping things civil and, yet, letting it go far enough to have some entertainment value.

There are amazing deerhunting experts on this board who are far more experienced than me and those guys really enhance the value of the board.

In the case of BigSlapper's buck my replacement at the resort, Rich, deserves applause for lending a hand pulling out the "Blue Collar Buck." For ten years at the resort I would do the same thing and the response hunters always got when they offered cash or venison was, "No thanks, this is what I do for fun!"

A big congrats to BigSlapper, KevinB, Piperdown, Grizz and a couple others(whose names escape me at this moment) who harvested Tunkwa bucks this year and what a banner season it turned out to be considering the extremely tough conditions at times.

TRACKnTRAIL
11-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Sounds Like a Good hunt. I didn't know there was wolves around Tunkwa? Did you get a chance at any of them?

happygilmore
12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah I've heard those wolves too;-):lol:;-)
I've seen their tracks too, all running in packs two by two...
someone must be hunting them because wherever they go because there is always quad tracks???

congrats on the buck.

Bud
12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah I've heard those wolves too;-):lol:;-)
I've seen their tracks too, all running in packs two by two...
someone must be hunting them because wherever they go because there is always quad tracks???

congrats on the buck.
your joking right Happy? :twisted:
I did see a big wolf out there around Nov 11 chased 2 whitetail does past me at mach 1. It was snowin hard and they came out of the bush about 20 yards to my right and across a slash at about a 45 degree angle.I had been sitting on it for about an hour, scared the crap outta me. no shot though

BigSlapper
12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I saw only one wolf in all the time I put in up there this year and in 2 seconds he was gone - they are around ... mind you I was far more focused on finding that big muley!

Caveman
12-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Nice job, Great story!!

johnk
12-02-2008, 04:42 AM
There are definitely wolves there. Three or four years ago my search for a particular buck on a series of fir ridges came to an abrupt end when on a mid-Nov. day while following his fresh track a fresh wolf track came onto the buck's trail and another 30 ft. and there was blood in his tracks as the trail went off a steep ridge. Game over. Have seen them up Durand Creek on summer evenings.

Twenty years ago while Dave Crack was the Merritt CO he had to go to the ranch at the base of Savona Mtn. and dispatch a 700 lb. grizzly that was lingering a bit too long. His explanation was that they migrate to and from Nahatlatch Valley.

Bushy
12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Nice write up BigSlapper, after spending a lot of time sitting and checking the slashes from before dawn to after dark it was a well deserved buck. Hard work pays off, my Rhino still stinks, lol.

There are wolves around, mostly on the Northeast side of the lake, some sign of prints and scratch marks on the roads and trails.

Thanks for that morning beer! It was well deserved!!

Richard

BigSlapper
12-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Nothing like a 'post" big buck beer at 0800 hrs I always say !!!

Thanks again Rich (and all at Tunkwa Lk Resort) ... the Rhino was a saviour and my back thanks you - I can only imagine what I would have felt like after packing/draging that big bugger out myself !!!
(and I wouldn't wash the Rhino just yet - it may just attract more animals!)

happygilmore
12-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I kid I kid... if you heard barking it was probably the 100+ huskies that one guy keeps out there you can hear them all the way down the valley, he trains them by having them pull his quad.;)

Piperdown
12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey Slapper where you the guy I talked to at tunkwa that was heading home for a bit until the weather changed (me 2008 black/tan f-350) ? Good on ya for sticking to your guns maybe see you up there next year

johnk
12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I kid I kid... if you heard barking it was probably the 100+ huskies that one guy keeps out there you can hear them all the way down the valley, he trains them by having them pull his quad.;)

That was Mike and Dana who used to be the caretakers at the provincial park but have since moved on.

I have seen wolves northeast, east, west, south of Tunkwa. If you spend enough time in the bush you'll see them everywhere.

There is a small pack over at Beaverhouse Lake two km. away from Tunkwa.

BigSlapper
12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Piper! ... yes, that was yours truly! Good talking to you up there. Too bad on the "last light" big 5x5 you were trying to connect on! Hope you faired well after I left.
I was getting just a little fed up with the weather. Every time I would head up expecting minus temps or snow, it would never materialize. Slow rut, bad weather ... I was begining to think it wasn't in the cards this year. Proves out if you put in the time (5th trip lucky!), things have a way of working out.
I will definitely see you back there next November. Cheers

BS

Bushy
12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Hey Ross, their still trying to start their quad, good way to to train for the ID, never knew it.
Hope I can help out.

RB

johnk
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Piper! ... yes, that was yours truly! Good talking to you up there. Too bad on the "last light" big 5x5 you were trying to connect on! Hope you faired well after I left.
I was getting just a little fed up with the weather. Every time I would head up expecting minus temps or snow, it would never materialize. Slow rut, bad weather ... I was begining to think it wasn't in the cards this year. Proves out if you put in the time (5th trip lucky!), things have a way of working out.
I will definitely see you back there next November. Cheers

BS

Perhaps an HBC hunt/campout would be in order! I would love to come back for a historical event such as that!

Piperdown
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm in, must remember to bring lots more red wine and cigars!!!! Ya BigSlapper I shot a 4 by 4 mulie, love the hunting by myself thing, can be a bit more work but the solitude is great. I'll have to look at a calander for next year as I have work in 100 Mile so I will try and book the same time. Well it is off to Renfrew to check on the trailer and pick some chanterelles for the moose tenderloins tonight.

BigSlapper
12-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I have already booked in for November 10th (7 days) ... hope to see you there.