PDA

View Full Version : Doubleheader Whiteys!!! Lucky Buggers!

doubled
11-29-2008, 04:54 PM
I am posting this for a friend. Here is his story.

We have some trails cut in a small area on a plateau that contains a few small spot logging cut blocks. My wife and I have been hunting there all season on and off and seen a few Whiteis, but boy were they nervous. Anyhow I chose a spot this spring behind some blow downs and made a little blind with a limited view up a gentle slope. This is all in timber, not cut blocks. So, went in on Friday morning and while walking in to my blind through the trees, I saw a doe with two fawns, surprisingly they never ran as usual. So watched them for a while, finally they moved off and another deer I hadn't seen went with them - a buck I'm sure. That got me wound up ! So I made it to my blind and got sat down.Wasn't quite getting there either and then I made a lot more noise brushing snow off my seat. First muted bleat brought that 4 x 1 1/2 down off the slope. At first all I saw was movement and then he came into view. Wow it's a buck ! - first I have seen this year. He sure was looking for the doe he thought was there and came right into me. One shot at about 40 yards and down he went. But while I was walking over to him he got up and took off, so I put one in his neck.( didn't need to but I didn't want to drag him )

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/Florida003.jpg

After having a smoke,we cleaned him, but while doing so I had to move him about 10 yards. So our guns and coats were propped against a tree about 15 yards away. We'd just got him cleaned when we heard a branch break behind us. As I was on my hands and knees I just turned around and looked back to my blind area. Nothing. Was just turning my head back when out from behind my blind came the other 4 point. He walked right out to within 30 yards of us and stopped broad side on with his head turned towards us. My wife scrabbled across 15 yards of open ground, got the gun, finally found the clip after a two year search, loaded up and turned around on her hands and knees. I couldn't believe he was still there as there was absolutely nothing between us. One shot in the boiler room and he took off for about 30 yards and went down. I thought she'd missed him or worse yet wounded him as my sight picture was not a good one. But it got him although it was a bit far back and a little high.so now we had two deer down.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/Florida005.jpg

We got the ATV into the bush on a trail I'd made right to the top of the slope this spring. By moving a very few trees and pushing over one we got the ATV to both deer. Had them in the truck and heading home by 10 am.
In all my years of hunting, I have never seen a 4 point White Tail stand and watch my wife scrabble about getting her gun and then making all kinds of noise loading it.(a lever action win). Strange. The only thing I can think of is that the first buck stunk badly and the wind was from me to the other one, so maybe he thought we were another buck.

M.Dean
11-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Now that's a good morning hunt! Congrats to you and your wife!

Nimrod
11-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Good times.
Congrats.
second picture looks like sunburn hill in Winfield?

6 K
11-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Good job, on the doubble and doubble kudos to your wife for holding her composure.
It takes skill to keep it together when things are not going according to the plan.:lol:
I even like the broken and healed tine, will make for a interesting mount.
A good reminder to keep a rifle handy, be glad that wasn't a hungery grizz sneaking in;-).
Personally I keep mine within arms reach or at least within someone's reach.
Then again most places I hunt, man is not the biggest predator in the woods.:shock:
Congrats.

doubled
11-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Good times.
Congrats.
second picture looks like sunburn hill in Winfield?

Good call.

Will
11-29-2008, 05:14 PM
My wife scrabbled across 15 yards of open ground, got the gun, finally found the clip after a two year search, loaded up and turned around on her hands and knees.
Does she have a sister ? :biggrin:

Congrats to you Both on a Couple Fine Bucks ! 8)

doubled
11-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Guys, this is not mine or my wife. As I said in the first line, I posted this for a friend.

f350ps
11-29-2008, 06:37 PM
What an awesome hunt and some fine deer. I never get Deer that will stand there for 2 yrs. while I'm lookin for my clip. K

Buckmeister
11-29-2008, 07:35 PM
2 fer 1 Not bad!

boxhitch
11-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I am posting this for a friend. Here is his story.

......We have some trails cut in a small area on a plateau that contains a few small spot logging cut blocks........
.......We got the ATV into the bush on a trail I'd made right to the top of the slope this spring........ Gotta love those Quad-riders. They seem willing to help out where ever access is a problem.
F-D will be proud.

kennyj
11-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Nice bucks!What a great day.
kenny

BlacktailStalker
11-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Those are some funky racks, nice bucks though.
Were they living under power lines or something lol !?

shantz
11-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Sounds like he had quite the setup with the trails, blinds and quad trail...Congrats

moosehunter16
11-29-2008, 11:29 PM
nice looking bucks. looks like you had a good time

hunter1947
11-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Good going on the two deer you and the wife got ,you don't get it any better then this.
Dropping one WT as of the first is a good ,but getting two in the one day is tops ,congrats to you and your wife on getting two WT deer http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

doubled
11-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Always nice to get both of their tags, no doubt.