PDA

View Full Version : Done got er did

brotherjack
11-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Well, as of Friday, my 2008 hunting season is done. After falling off an extension ladder 2 weeks ago which tweaked my hip joints enough to make me walk like a duck and keep me from any significant hiking, I was relegated to road hunting for my last few days out. No bucks to be found, but, I had a whitetail doe LEH in the same area I was hunting. Even those were few and far between, but on Friday, just as The Wife(tm) and I were throwing in the towel for the day (and probably the year), we ran across a nice little dry doe I guesstimated at 2 ½ years old. I was hoping for a buck about 4 ½ years old, but at this point, I was long past being picky.

It wasn't much of a story – we were driving along, saw the doe all by her lonesome having a feed. Looked around a bit – no other deer to be seen, so out of the truck I went. Load, aim, fire. I managed to reasonably execute a 40 yard off-hand shot, and there was a bang, three hops, and a flop. That's close enough to a bang-flop for me to be happy. I will, again, give two thumbs up for the .308 caliber 150 grain Nosler AccuBond's – bullet performance was flawless.

And just like that, my season is over. I am happy and satisfied to have meat in the freezer for another year, I have some awesome hunting memories from this year to add to my collection, but boy, oh boy, am I ever exhausted right now! Three jobs, a major home renovation project, and hunting every spare minute for 3 months straight is enough to just about do a guy in! So, starting right now, I'm going to log off the computer, stoke up the wood stove, cook up some tenderloins, and I am officially on vacation from hunting related anything for a while so's I can get my house put back together and some rest for my tired ole bones before next year rolls around.

See ya'll around!

http://xjack.org/hunting/a2008-wt.jpg

Gun Babe
11-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Very nice....and hope u heal from your fall....

boxhitch
11-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Good on ya for taking the rest time.......

Anyone want to put $5 on when he lurks in first ?
I say within 48 hrs.

aletheuo
11-29-2008, 07:49 PM
So that's why I never saw anything in that area this morning. Good job, BJ. I've called 'er quits after a full day today as well. We'll talk 'yotes in a month or two. Blessings,

hunter1947
11-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Nice score on the LEH doe Brother J and Miss ,hope your hip hells up soon so you can get on with your alternation without any discomfort.

sawmill
11-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Good eating,I tagged mine a few weeks back,very tender!

johnes50
11-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Glad to see you finally connected. Too bad about the ladder fall. Enjoy your vacation.