PDA

View Full Version : Finally! My first deer.

Grumpa Joe
11-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow! It seems like an eternity but I finally shot my first deer Thursday. I had hunted with my dad as a little kid but but was there to accompany and learn. Due to a friend's hunting accident my dad stopped hunting was I was 6 and I didn't get the itch to hunt again until 3 years ago. I have been pounding various areas ever since; driving roads and hiking countless miles without any luck. It seemed that I would never be in right place at the right time. I would see plenty of game scouting in the off season, before/after legal shooting light or out of season. During those trips I was fortunate enough to bag some ducks/geese and quail but never any larger game. I tell you, it was getting really disheartening.
This particular trip was not really planned, it just sort of happened. Things at work have been a little crazy lately so I decided to take a mental health day. I was going to stay home and putter in my garage but something nagged me into deciding to go for a drive. I grabbed my gear with out thinking I would actually trip over something but it never hurts to be prepared. I left home at 7;30, filled up the truck and headed for the highway. As I drove I was undecided which direction to take. I had 3 destinations in my head but I couldn't decide which one to visit. Eventually I ended up in this particular area in Region 3. I had been there the previous week without seeing any game at all, but thought the palace had great promise and besides the scenery was so spectacular. One spot in particular looked really good so that was where I was going to do some walking. now comes the good part. Halfway from the mainroad (20 minutes in) to this area I was driving along, enjoying the view and listening to some tunes. I happened to be changing the CD when 40 yds in front of me appears this guy. He had trotted off a spur road across the main FSR. I stop the truck, clear my eyes because I can't believe what I'm seeing, grab the Monarchs to make sure I'm really seeing 4 points on both beams. He continues on his way across a clearcut heading for the treeline about 180 yds away.Out of the truck I get, load up the 308 and wait for him to pause. Well he keeps going and I'm getting a little anxious if he'll stop or not so I take a kneeling position, wait for him to turn broadside as he is heading directly away from me. It finally happens and I take aim and fire off the first shot. He staggers but stays up and trots another 10 steps. While this is happening I'm cursing myself as I load another round. He stops, I aim again and take the shot. Down he goes. I glass him through the binoculars and I sure he's done as he has fallen on his back and there is no movement. I decide to wait and watch as I absorb everything that has just happened. After 15 minutes, I range the distance (150 yds) make my way across the clearing and up the slope to where he is. He's magnificent! I can't believe that my luck had finally changed. The rest of the story is the dirty work that goes into dragging and cleaning that we all have to do after the kill. I must say thanks to Rob (?), his son Sean and Grandpa for stopping and helping me load my deer into my truck. Drove home, hung the critter and since have been trying to figure out how to post pictures. Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed and that the pictures work.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/P10001552.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/P1000157.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/P1000159.JPG

Frontier
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Joe/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Joe/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Kid Hunter
11-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Congratulations on your first buck! Looks like a really good sized deer.

Kody94
11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Congrats!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1000159.JPG

Bow Walker
11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Good for you. Nice looking buck you got there. Congratulations.

doubled
11-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Awesome first buck. Make sure you thank Mother N for giving you this guy. Way to stick with it. Time to enjoy some fresh venison tender loin now.

hunter1947
11-29-2008, 12:03 PM
That is a very nice deer for your first one ,lots of hunters never get one as of that size over there entire hunting carrier ,congrats on connecting with one of this size http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

kayjayess
11-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Congrats. Great looking buck. Nice mass. Very nice first buck. Hope you are hooked for life like I was when I anchored my first.

Rattler
11-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Congrats on your first buck! Looks like a older buck?

Muley fever is now upon you....

quadrakid
11-29-2008, 01:56 PM
very nice buck,i think its great reading all the posts this year of hunters getting their first big game animal.i,ll bet you were stoked after realizing you had done it.

Beaverhunter
11-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Nice buck!

kennyj
11-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Congratulations on your first Buck.Its a beauty.
kenny

goatdancer
11-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Now that's the way to lose your cherry.:biggrin::biggrin:
Congratulations.

Frango
11-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Well done, The first one is the one you will always remember.

Nimrod
11-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Congratulations.
Nothing like a nice 4 point to cure a guys metal heath.
First deer to boot, thats great.

Will
11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Congrats ! Now you really got the Sickness !
Nice Muley ! :smile:

cainer
11-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Great Buck...still looking for one just like that before the end of the season.

Tanya
11-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Very nice! Congratulations!!

gerrygoat
11-29-2008, 07:14 PM
It's always nice to hear a story like this congratulations on your first big game animal, he is a nice looking buck.

Buckmeister
11-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Congrats! You put yer time in and it paid off.

cloverphil
11-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Congratulations, great looking buck.

Shermdog
11-30-2008, 12:43 AM
nice deer, great story. Got my first ever mulie this season as well. He was from region 3 also, 3 pt. back in october!! Feels great hey!!! Tastes even better

Camp Cook
11-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Very nice...

Chasinracks
11-30-2008, 02:27 AM
nice first buck! congrats! got my first in reg 3 as well. sounds like a lot of us got our first in that area. let's give our salute to johnk and jelvis for their unselfish guidance!

mcrae
11-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Nice buck and a great buck for your first one...

whitespringer
11-30-2008, 09:48 AM
I got my first this year too. It's a great feeling to finally nail one. :biggrin:Congrats!

shotgunjohn
11-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Great first buck!

One little tip. A loud bleat call, just with your mouth , will usually make them stop and look for a few seconds.