PDA

View Full Version : BT driving me nuts

Wild one
11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
I have been bowhunting one of my BT spots lately and have a nice buck that will not come out of the bush. This area only has a few small openings and the bush is about as thick as it can get with black berries thrown in the mix. This buck comes to calls but he stays just inside the bush and starts walking the edge of the opening and will not give me a shot. Has anyone tried to decoy BT's with any results?Or does anyone have a trick to make him come out?

scallywag
11-28-2008, 10:54 PM
estrus calling with a gunt if you know he is near??
jsut y 2 cents

huntwriter
11-28-2008, 10:56 PM
This is very typical of bucks that come to calling. If they can hear the call but see or smell no other deer where they expect to see/smell one they hang up in the thick stuff.

Try to move your stand closer to the thicket and on a location where the buck has to come within shooting range to see where he thinks the other deer might be. You may have to cut a few shooting lanes into the bush but be very, very careful. If you have a decoy such as a 3-D deer target incorporate in the set up to give the buck a visual stimuli and that might be that is needed to coax him the last few yards. Alternatively you also could use some doe or doe-in-heat scent with your calling, that might do the trick too.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Dirty
11-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Apples and Estrus.

hunter1947
11-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Put out some doe in heat out about 20 yards where your set up.

Soak some cotton balls with doe in heat and put them out at about 20 yards when you first get there and then wait.

Also give a few doe calls as well when you get set up ,don't call to many times 3 or 4 only.
Then when you see this deer give a couple more and then shut up and see what happens ,good luck.

Wild one
11-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys as for the calling part I have tried all of the above. Where can I find BT doe piss in the lower mainland? If I can not find BT piss will WT work?

Huntwriter I am already with in 200yrds of his bed so I don't want to cut lanes and he does come with in range but I can not weave an arrow into the crap he stands in. As for the decoy how would you position it as I have never used one before.

Dirty
11-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Try positioning the decoy doggy style.

Bow Walker
11-29-2008, 10:25 AM
First check that using a decoy is legal. Then position her butt towards the bush!!

Just kidding. I think H1947 (Wayne) has the right idea. Make the area smell like a horny doe and don't be too vocal. He'll get curious and come out to find what he can smell, but can't see.

Wild one
11-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Dirty were do I find a decoy in that position:lol:

Dirty
11-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Dirty were do I find a decoy in that position:lol:

Use your imagination. To make it smell horny, pour some cheap white wine on it. That usually is the horny smell for the ladies I know. :smile:

Wild one
11-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Do you think wine coolers would be a good sub

goatdancer
11-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Gin used to work.......:biggrin: