PDA

View Full Version : Carolin mines black tail!!

curt
11-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I have to try and get some pics of this deer my buddy who lives in Hope happen to come across an accident right by the mine rd a long haul driver hit a black tail the CO was called and showed up beleive it or not, he confirmed it a black tail as well i'm still not totally convinced it's too freaking big!!! I am sure this deer will be in the top 2-3 for the book, my buddy took the antlers and it is a site to see!!! mass and length like no other this thing will without a dout put many mule deer to shame. I leaving for Disneyland with the kids but ill get some picks when i get back and post them you will all be more than impressed I know it!!!

boxhitch
11-28-2008, 02:26 PM
So don't waste our time. See ya later.

lip_ripper00
11-28-2008, 02:29 PM
*yawn*......

Steeleco
11-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Naw send them to me NOW!!! We'll drool over the rack, you can drool over Minni!! I was just up there 2 weeks back and not a critter to be seen.
That said the area holds both mulies and BT's maybe he's a bit of both??

If you've the time steeleco@telus.net

Gateholio
11-28-2008, 02:44 PM
I should merge this hread with Jelvi's train thread...:tongue:

Mr. Dean
11-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Not fair..... That's MY spot. :lol:

I call BS - Its probably slightly better than a button buck. :tongue:

Islandeer
11-28-2008, 03:27 PM
another TRAIN wreck ...:shock:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Carolin's mine road?? Don't know my muley/blacktail boundaries very well but isn't that closer to muley country??

SSS

orion
11-28-2008, 04:15 PM
It may lok like a BT but in that area I think you'll find SSSteve is correct.

Mr. Dean
11-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Carlolin's mine road?? Don't know my muley/blacktail boundaries very well but isn't that closer to muley country??

SSS

It may lok like a BT but in that area I think you'll find SSSteve is correct.

I know the area VERY well. It holds darn near equal numbers of both species.

born2hunt
11-28-2008, 04:55 PM
sounds like a bs story to me

11-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm quite positive that the border for Columbia Blacktail runs up the middle of Harrison Lake continuing north. So that Hope buck is likely to East and likely classed a Mulie anyway for Boone and Crotch itch. We got a monster, years back, tinney body, huge rackage, Boston Bar side of Harrison lake. They called it a Mulie, though there was no doubt it was a Blacktail.
C/T
Still would like to see the pic's as this will fuel the hybrid debate ....hahah!

lapadat
11-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Curly Top is right...

According to B&C, the boundary runs north along the west side of the Skagit valley, crossing the fraser, and up the middle of Harrison Lake. Carolin Mines is on the Coquihalla and well outside accepted BT range.....HOWEVER, I've been looking for the wall dividing the two zones for some time and cannot find it....I think the deer are free to move around.

Which CO confirmed the species ID?

riflebuilder
11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Mulies and blacktail will interbreeding goes on all the time. that is more common than Mulies and Whitetails. I shot a hybred mulie/whitey in AB when I was younger and didn't know which tag to use. Ended up tagging it as a mulie.

Jagermeister
11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I should merge this hread with Jelvi's train thread...:tongue:
I'll second that!

martyonthewater
11-28-2008, 08:08 PM
based on the photo's i'm seeing this thread is a yawner. In order to spice it up I'm going to start some $hite , I'll have to say hybrid all the way

Greenhead
11-28-2008, 08:21 PM
I like the part where his buddy got to take the horns home? Yeah right, like the CO just let's people hack horns off road kills! I'd like to the name of that CO! He could help me out with retroactive horn gathering from my past.
Whatever......... where's the pics?
GH

BigfishCanada
11-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Ive seen what looked like a BT, twice now, and we drooled both times we saw it, Right where you said the guy hit it

hunter1947
11-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Will be looking forwards to the pic Curt.

wsm
11-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Seen Some Big Ones In Caroline Mine Area. One I Saw, To Big To Be Bt

orion
11-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I know the area VERY well. It holds darn near equal numbers of both species.

Although that may be true, both B&C and the BC Records have geographical boundaries for BT recognition and do not base elligibillity strictly on physical characteristics. The rationale for this is that a hybrid can have BT characteristics but inherit the hybrid vigour and growth which put a genetically pure BT at a disadvantage for the records.

I'm not exactly sure where the boundaries are and have attempted to contact a couple of guys from the B C Records but they all seem to be away hunting right now - imagine that! Will try to find out and post when I have accurate info.

Camp Cook
11-30-2008, 12:16 AM
I have spent years hunting the Coquihalla Caroline Mines/Dewdney Creek areas there are definately BT/Mulies/hybreds in the area I have shot them all there.

On the Caroline Mines side of the hwy there are BT/hybreds until you cross the first ridges then it goes almost exclusively mule deer.

The Dewdney Creek side of the hwy is BT/hybred now as you go further up the hwy it then turns almost exclusivly mule deer again.

I have even seen 2 white tail deer in the Sawahqua (spelt it wrong??) area.

orion
11-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Earlier this evening I spoke with Byron Mason from B C Records. He confirmed what Curly Top and Lapadat said above. If someone is talking about "record book" BT for this deer, it is not even close to the boundary. The boundary, as mentioned above, runs down the center of Harrison Lk. then straight north from the top end and straight south to the US border on the bottom end. Anything to the East is considered Mule deer not Columbian Blacktail in spite of physical characteristics. Like everyone else though, I sure hope I get to see a pic.

Steeleco
11-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Book be damned, there's some BIG Blacktails all over the east side of Harrison.
How can they draw some arbritarty line and not expect to have animals cross it?

FWIW, I've never seen any mulies anywhere in the Harrison lake area!

curt
12-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey wow that created even more interest that I thought anyway I am working on the pics I put the call into him tonight as a matter of fact and yes the co did not object to him taking the rack and according to the co the muley black tail official boundry is the cascade range west side black tail east side muley officailly speaking of course anyway I will get some pics asap.

mikek blacktail
12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
start a new thread when you do and please hurry the suspense is killing me