PDA

View Full Version : Need help for a Xmas gift

doubled
11-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Looking to get a GOOD skinning knife for the old man. He was complaining this year that he had to keep sharpening his knife over and over. Is there a good skinning knife that keeps it edge fairly well? Looking forward to the answers. Thanks everybody.

DD

bighornbob
11-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Best skinning knife you can get and only 2.99 at Crappy Tire

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0575024_450_CC_v1_m56577569830704709_1_.jpg

BHB

Dirty
11-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Go to the hospital and steal a scalpel with changeable blades. Make sure to steal a couple of boxes of blades too.

cainer
11-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I have to agree with bighornbob, i used one for zippering my last deer and it was awesome! Try the hook blades as another option.
\i have a rubberized Smith and Wesson skinning set as well, and i only ever use the small pointy one, the rubberized handle is awesome when it's cold/ wet\slippery-kinda wish it folded up for easy carrying. Rarely needs sharpening though!

Steeleco
11-28-2008, 11:28 AM
I use the box knife for capeing, works great.
for skinning I use a http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=BU692BK&bhcd2=1227895917
I'm on my second one as I broke the first splitting a spine (read being lazy!!)
Also consider getting one of these http://www.accusharp.com/

Lots of companies make and sell these under many names, but you get the idea. If the edge is going on you while skinning, a few quick passes with this and your good to go.

My Buck is into it's second deer and I only touched it up once!!

goatdancer
11-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Get a Kershaw change-a-blade. It has a gutting blade, a skinning blade, and a saw blade, all interchangeable on the same handle. $60 at WalMart. Kershaw holds an edge.

Ddog
11-28-2008, 12:42 PM
if he had to keep sharpening his knife over and over , it means that the rockwell hardness is to soft, it isnt necessarily the type of steel used as most knife steels are good to excellent.
if your looking at buying a top quality production knife such as any of the big name knife companies, try to find out the steel used and the hardness of the steel. ideally one would want a hardness of no more than around 62 with 58-60 RHC being perfect.
keeping in mind that they are knives and all knives should be touched up after the hunting season, weather they need to be or not, they should all be checked.
just my opinion.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Best skinning knife you can get and only 2.99 at Crappy Tire

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0575024_450_CC_v1_m56577569830704709_1_.jpg

BHB

Or free from work:roll:.

SSS

bighornbob
11-28-2008, 12:49 PM

SSS

If you get them free why am I buying them???

Steeleco
11-28-2008, 12:57 PM

SSS

I shop at the same place as you, who knew :shock:

Dannybuoy
11-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Get a Kershaw change-a-blade. It has a gutting blade, a skinning blade, and a saw blade, all interchangeable on the same handle. $60 at WalMart. Kershaw holds an edge.
I have this set as well and it has worked grreat for me (got it as a gift 2 years ago)

boxhitch
11-28-2008, 01:00 PM
He was complaining this year that he had to keep sharpening his knife over and over
Different techniques determine what is best.
fleshing, skinning, quartering, deboning, caping......each has its needs.
But IMO any good knife is easily sharpened, in the field, with a stone or a hone, and should be sharpened often, to have its best edge forward.
Cheap stainless blades are very hard to resharpen but hold the initial edge well, fooling some buyers. High carbon steel is better.

If you want a custom Keeper, a guy in Arnstrong makes great knives, with a choice of shape and handles. Between $150 and $300 or so.

325 wsm
11-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Buy him a Lansky sharpening kit. They make knives razor sharp. I can skin and debone a whole moose with one without having to touch up the blade in the field. sharpen your knives at home before the hunt....not out in the snowstorm just before dark after you have just shot your animal.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-28-2008, 01:31 PM
If you get them free why am I buying them???

Same reason I'm buying my stainless water bottles:p.

SSS

ruttinbuck
11-28-2008, 01:54 PM
If you want a custom Keeper, a guy in Arnstrong makes great knives, with a choice of shape and handles. Between $150 and $300 or so.
Floyd Tournier?
I saw his display at the last Kamloops gun show.Excellent looking work.RB

dime
11-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Ditto on this one, I have used the bladechanger for 5 years now and no complaints, th blade seems to hold an edge pretty well. The saw is great for cutting through the breastbone and pelvic bone, it has done two moose and 5 deer, and is still sharp as can be.

doubled
11-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys. I will do a little more research on this.

doubled
12-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Custom blade ordered. Can't wait to see it.

log_roller
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Old timer best skinning knife

Tarp Man
12-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Check out DH Russell knives. Made in Nova Scotia? Pictou? I have my grandpa's origional blade. Sharp like a scalpel, and not stolen. The other one I could use is the new Buck Gen 5 skinner or the Kalinga series. They both use the ATS-34 steel.

blomgren
12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I have used a buck for years very easy to sharpen and holds a edge for along time .Would make a great gift , quality .

BimmerBob
12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I have a Boker Tree Brand Classic and I was camp gutter/skinner (because I like it!) while in Manitoba this year, I gutted and skinned out over a dozen deer without needing to sharpen the blade. The only thing missing is a saw.

I think my next purchase will be one of these babies "Old Timer Buzz Saw", good steel and just the right combination in my view.

Here is a link: http://www.knivesplus.com/oldtimerknifetrapper-sc-97ot.html

Cheers, Bob

ratherbefishin
12-21-2008, 10:09 AM
nothing wrong with a carolina fixed blade hunting knife-picked up one at under $20 on sale at crappy tire .Steel isn't bad and holds an edge better than some.I have this bad habit of leaving my knife at the kill site,so my good ones stay home now

Brambles
12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Do research on different types of knife steel's, different steels have different sharpening and edge holding properties.

Its a compromise, a good edge holding knife will be more difficult to "get" the edge and re-sharpen, but you won't have to do it as often.

The flip side is a knife that doesn't hold an edge quite as long will be easier to sharpen. Often it comes down to the sharpener's skill and equipment he has on hand.

Avoid cutting hair, it dulls the blade quickly.