PDA

View Full Version : Pt. Renfrew Halibut Charter?

Spokerider
11-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Can anyone recommend a good halibut guide / charter that fishes Pt. Renfrew? Interested in hearing any good experinces or not so good / steer clear opinions based on your experiences......

Also, which month is most productive for hali on the Swiftsure bank / weather permitting?

Looking to book early for the up coming season.

Gracias!

snipeshow
11-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I have always gone to Port Renfrew with my uncle and his boat and done the fishing ourselves, but for a guide I would recommend Mike Johns with
Heavy Hauler Fishing Charters.

You can check out his site at www.heavyhaulerfishingcharters.com (http://www.heavyhaulerfishingcharters.com)

As for time...well this last year was pretty bad throughout the entire summer (guides and local fishermen) but the best time is usually around July-August sometime. The later in the summer, the worse the weather is. Mike will know all the details though. If your just going for Hali you should have no problems though. Our biggest has been 75 lbs.

blindguy
01-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I own No Bananas Charters out of Renfrew.I have been guiding up there for 10 years now.If you punch in PortRenfrew Marina site you will see all the charter operators that work there.

Hally fishing was as good as ever last year don't know why someone would say it was a bad year.Anyways May and June we anchore fish for what are usualy the biggest fish of the year,it's not always crazy action but usualy get limits from the 20th of june until mid sept we fish offshore at the bank where limits come quick but they are smaller fish.

If you want salmon and halli in the same day mid july until second week in sept with the 3rd week in aug usualy the peak for spring salmon.

Johnnybear
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Good luck on your adventure. I just would like to recommend that you release any "huge" females regardless of what your guide says. It's for the good of every sportsfisherman:wink:. Have a great and safe trip:-D.

01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Go with a guide that releases all the Hali-Sole they bring in also,a shame to even attempt to fillet and one that does not think they OWN that town.Try Port Renfrew Charters( local Brett Smith)King Coop Charters(little Bill)have been out with both great days on the bank and beach

porcupine
01-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I've fished with No Bananas and he is excellent.
________
Toyota Limo picture (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Limo)

Johnnybear
01-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Go with a guide that releases all the Hali-Sole they bring in

Are you being funny in saying "all"????? Or are you making fun of my post of releasing brood stock???:-D.

Mr. Dean
01-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Good luck on your adventure. I just would like to recommend that you release any "huge" females regardless of what your guide says. It's for the good of every sportsfisherman:wink:. Have a great and safe trip:-D.

I wouldn't overly worry about this. As long as there's a commercial fishery ANY conservation effort put forth by sportfishers isn't even a drop in the bucket. On all accounts, our take of the TAC is minuscule and the fishery is sustainable.... If you're wanting a trophy, take it and feel good about it.

Just post some pic's. :wink:

Johnnybear
01-12-2009, 12:59 AM
If you're wanting a trophy, take it and feel good about it.

That will do alot of good:confused:.

I hope the poster listen's to most of the respectable guides on the Island who are praticing the release of "huge" female halibut as of the last couple of years (regardless of what's happening with the war between the commy's and rec sector)and are true sportsfisherman and want to see their children (yes the guides have families too) and others enjoy what we have.

Johnnybear
01-12-2009, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't overly worry about this. As long as there's a commercial fishery ANY conservation effort put forth by sportfishers isn't even a drop in the bucket. On all accounts, our take of the TAC is minuscule and the fishery is sustainable.... If you're wanting a trophy, take it and feel good about it.

I worry about this big time. I think your all wrong about the commy's and I believe that one day the sporties will win period(there is way more money in the sporty's). Look at Florida and some of the other Eastern States. We just have to become more creative in our battle. Don't give up Deano.

Mr. Dean
01-12-2009, 03:11 AM
That will do alot of good:confused:.

I hope the poster listen's to most of the respectable guides on the Island who are praticing the release of "huge" female halibut as of the last couple of years (regardless of what's happening with the war between the commy's and rec sector)and are true sportsfisherman and want to see their children (yes the guides have families too) and others enjoy what we have.

I'm willing to learn. Perhaps start a new thread showing some stats on harvest #'s and impact on stocks. Also the % of guides that toss back big ones.

Last year I was involved BIG TIME with the hali review on us sporties. Of ALL the data I read, nothing indicated what you project.

If you recall, not only did the fed's want us to reduce our tonnage but they also wanted us to release anything bigger than a "chicken". All these measures were tabled in an effort of not laying off commercial fisherman. IT WASN'T A CONSERVATION MEASURE. It was a struggle over what sector had the "rights" to fish.

Now we did lose on our possession limits (reduced to 2 from 3) but we did retain the "big fish" option. The 2 primary reasons were; safety of doing so (releasing) and the fact that big fish (or chance thereof) attract fisherman. In a time of license sales slumping (as are hunters) this notion was demonstrated as being silly and the feds agreed.

If you got something I missed (in terms of factual data) PLEASE start a new thread.... If the stocks are in jeopardy, I'll be the 1st on board to save them by lobbying for a reduction of commercial interests. :smile:

Bow Walker
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Can anyone recommend a good halibut guide / charter that fishes Pt. Renfrew? Interested in hearing any good experinces or not so good / steer clear opinions based on your experiences......

Also, which month is most productive for hali on the Swiftsure bank / weather permitting?

Looking to book early for the up coming season.

Gracias!
Drop into Eagle Eye and talk with Ron. He guides down here in Sooke and is familiar with the Guiding Community. He'll give you the straight goods to.:wink:

Johnnybear
01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Sorry for the hijack Spokerider and I hope you have a great trip with whom ever you choose to go with:D.

Tikka7mm
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I know Mike Johns as well and he is a great guy....nothing but good things to say about him. Good luck!

Prowler
01-16-2009, 11:33 PM
In my humble opinion, I would go with Trev at "No Bananas"
The SECOND BEST guide on the west coast:razz:

bosch
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I've been out with Mark Perkins a couple of times and done very well, unfortunately I don't have his number but he lives in Victoria. Nice guy, great comfortable boat, competitive prices.

hunter1947
01-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I've been out with Mark Perkins a couple of times and done very well, unfortunately I don't have his number but he lives in Victoria. Nice guy, great comfortable boat, competitive prices.

Where is the few pounds of fish you where going to give me ???? .

Guess I got to pay up first http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif $$$$$$ http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

44inchStone
02-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Well ya want the best bang for your buck....... and a great time.!!

I would most definatley go with www.hindsightcharters.com (http://www.hindsightcharters.com)

John Wells is an honest stand up guy with MANY years of experience on the water and does his best to get into the fish. I've fished with him many times, both for salmon and Halibut and to be honest I have never gone home without fish. Biggest Halibut 179 lbs, largest salmon, 42 lbs. Not bad!!
He runs a great boat that carries all the latest in radar, safety and fishing gear money can buy.
I would not fish with anyone else. Hope this helps. If ya want references just PM me.

Fish Hound
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
and the hali's are closed in the inside waters........

blindguy
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
fish hound what are you talking about.haly is closed everywhere rite now but will be open very soon everywhere.What does inside waters mean?

Canadian Dad
02-07-2009, 09:24 AM
In my humble opinion, I would go with Trev at "No Bananas"

I too have gone out with Trevor. Excellent guide.