PDA

View Full Version : A First for Me

Phoneguy
11-27-2008, 09:35 PM
This is the first year for me to try drift fishing in rivers. Other than a bit of flyfishing I have very little experience with river fishing at all. Today a friend and I went our targeting salmon. We started at Noorish. While we could see schools of dark coho we could not entice them. After a few hours we went to the Chehalis. We started below the hatchery. Talk about depressing. A couple of people snagging fish, not even a pretence of trying to fish. The fish were all tired and spawned out and these jokers were poking and proding and snagging. I had to leave.

We went to the pool above the bailey bridge. That was more like it. I hooked and released one fair fish, there was lots of fish swimming around where we were wading. All of a sudden, while I was daydreaming something slammed my line. I though it was a rainbow trout as I was bringing it in. Turned out to be a nice ~ 7lb steelhead.

Might be a while for pictures as I still haven't gotten the ones of our first trip 7 weeks ago.

Now I go duck hunting tomorrow!

James

BearSniper
11-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Phoneguy

Did you mean Norrish creek ?

Sounds like fun anyways

Phoneguy
11-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Phoneguy

Did you mean Norrish creek ?

Sounds like fun anyways

Yes, also known as suicide creek?

BearSniper
11-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Ya

You know what I think you're right

I have heard that term before for Norrish.

But still sounds like you got a good steelhead

Phoneguy
01-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Finally got a pic sent to me, the date is wrong:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Fishing/Steelhead1.jpg

Ddog
01-24-2009, 08:21 PM
so i take it it was a hatchery fish, is that your first steelhead?
and by the way its a little late to go and fish the rivers for salmon. you want to be there in sept to late oct for the best salmon, november has good days too, but getting into late nov most of the salmon would have turned.

PGK
01-24-2009, 10:38 PM
When I zoom in, looks like a wild fish...

Phoneguy
01-25-2009, 12:51 AM
It was clipped...Yes it was my first steelhead.
Clearer pic of the fish.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Fishing/Steelhead2.jpg
The original post was late November, I just got the pictures.

elkdom
01-25-2009, 12:54 AM
It was clipped...Yes it was my first steelhead. The original post was late November, I just got the pictures.

never mind the PICs, how did it taste?:razz:

elkdom
01-25-2009, 12:57 AM
:confused:Hey did you ever fish at a big pool, I used to call it the "hole in the wall"??

Ddog
01-25-2009, 02:12 AM
sweet,,congratulations on your first steelhead. nothing like catching them. personally i like catching them better than eating them as they are not that good eating say compared to any of the salmon species.

Dirty
01-25-2009, 08:18 AM
With the condition of that steelhead, even though that is a hatchery fish, why would you kill that fish? It is a spawner. I will take it that you did not know it was a spawner, but you should really put fish like this back for seed. When they are at this stage they aren't good for eating quality. You must have been glad you bought your steelhead tag.

NaStY
01-25-2009, 09:57 AM
With the condition of that steelhead, even though that is a hatchery fish, why would you kill that fish? It is a spawner. I will take it that you did not know it was a spawner, but you should really put fish like this back for seed. When they are at this stage they aren't good for eating quality. You must have been glad you bought your steelhead tag.

Do you always have to be so negative?

Nice fish and congrats on you first steelhead. You will be hooked for life.....

steelheadSABO
01-25-2009, 10:17 AM
did you catch it at chehalis or norrish looks like a summer run return pretty dark but still a nice fish

ultramagbob
01-25-2009, 10:23 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/MMayan/steel.jpg

Dirty
01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Do you always have to be so negative?

Nice fish and congrats on you first steelhead. You will be hooked for life.....

I am sorry are we being a little short with people today? :razz:

Ddog
01-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Dirty, theres nothing wrong with that fish, she's been in the river for a while but she would be fine for eating, all fish you catch in rivers are spawners by the way, meaning salmonids and steelhead. the fish he is holding is a summer run fish, probably entering the river system in late spring early summer of 2008.
It is in fine shape.

Dirty
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Dirty, theres nothing wrong with that fish, she's been in the river for a while but she would be fine for eating, all fish you catch in rivers are spawners by the way, meaning salmonids and steelhead. the fish he is holding is a summer run fish, probably entering the river system in late spring early summer of 2008.
It is in fine shape.

That fish is a Kelt. Please do not confuse it with a kilt, which is a Scottish Garment. Perhaps we can turn that area in to a national park. It was probably doing to Ol' Faithful like at Yellowstone National park.

BlacktailStalker
01-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Those fish are the best eating, they're already smoked.

hunter1947
01-26-2009, 07:07 AM
That steel head has been up the river for over a month ,but he will still be a good eater ,congrats on getting your first steel head ,man O man brings back old memories from when I was into it big time http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Johnnybear
01-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Those fish are the best eating, they're already smoked.

:lol:.

Congrats on your first steelhead Phoneguy. I can still remember mine. You won't forget it. Hope it was tasty (should be):D.

Dirty
01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/Ovisdallistonei/P1010133.jpg

Now this is a steelhead that is prime for eating!

PGK
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Did Kechika give you permission to post that picture?

Dirty
01-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Did Kechika give you permission to post that picture?

Pardon Me? That is actually me in the picture. I crop the heads off all of my pictures. If you think that it is similar to another pictures go ahead and post it.

PGK
01-26-2009, 04:28 PM
That's not you :mrgreen: Thats Kechika

PGK
01-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Voila! :lol:

Dirty
01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Do you have permission to post that picture of my twin brother?:biggrin:

PGK
01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
I hope so :mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
01-26-2009, 05:56 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/Ovisdallistonei/P1010133.jpg

Now this is a steelhead that is prime for eating!

Looks like he jizzed on his waders when he set the hook.

one-shot-wonder
01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Congrat's on your first iron Phoneguy!

I have casted many a lines in at the Chehalis! a few of the 'hoes I caught were well into the month of December and as bright as they come! The late Coho run and early steelhead in there in the winter is a real blast.....just try to overlook the flossers and enjoy your day on the river.