PDA

View Full Version : New member and newbie hunter

Rackaholic
11-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Hello my fellow rednecks, I'm a new member and I just started hunting this season.
I only went hunting once this far, didn't shoot anything yet.
For Big Game animals i only go for the Muleys, but I'm thinking about trying some Black Bear once the season starts (in Region 3).
Small Game I shoot whatever I see that's legal to hunt, like Squirrels and Crows.

EDIT: I have a couple of questions too:

In April I want to try some Black Bear Hunting in Region 3.
1. When's the best time to get them and where are they usually at that time?
2. I'm pretty sure it is, but is the 30-06 big enough for Black Bears?

and another question that I was wondering, What's the biggest thing that's legal to hunt with a 1000 fps .177cal pellet gun?

Thank you.

Rackaholic
12-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Edited the post, added some questions.

Thank you in advance to the people that answer my questions :)

Steeleco
12-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Rather than re-hash lots of good info, I'll suggest you do a search for "bear hunting" Make sure you have a comfy chair as you'll be there a while!!
As to the 30.06 it's plenty of gun, mine has around 12 bears to its credit!!

What's the biggest thing that's legal to hunt with a 1000 fps .177cal pellet gun?If that's a pistol "Nothing" it's illegal. If it's a rifle, almost all small game is good. Is it registered? Even though it's an air rifle, anything over 500pfs or what ever the goofy metric equivalent is, needs to be registered.

BTW welcome to the site.

3kills
12-02-2008, 07:54 AM
1.mid to late may is the best time fore bears they will be on south facing slopes and on roads that have dandylions on them...
2. yes a 30-06 is big enough for bears

Rackaholic
12-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Rather than re-hash lots of good info, I'll suggest you do a search for "bear hunting" Make sure you have a comfy chair as you'll be there a while!!
As to the 30.06 it's plenty of gun, mine has around 12 bears to its credit!!

If that's a pistol "Nothing" it's illegal. If it's a rifle, almost all small game is good. Is it registered? Even though it's an air rifle, anything over 500pfs or what ever the goofy metric equivalent is, needs to be registered.

BTW welcome to the site.

Alright thanks, and yeah, it's a rifle.
And thanks for the welcome :)

1.mid to late may is the best time fore bears they will be on south facing slopes and on roads that have dandylions on them...
2. yes a 30-06 is big enough for bears

Sweet thanks, that's the type of tips i was looking for :)