PDA

View Full Version : Guns on display

Wolfman
11-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Hey all.

Years ago, up in Edmonchuk, I recall a visit to a guy's house (friend of a friend) where the guy had this beautiful wood panel, 'glass' fronted gun case in his living room. He had about ten rifles and a shottie in there, and I remember complimenting him on it but wondering about security.

He showed me that the 'wooden' gun case was actually mostly steel with a wood covering and the 'glass' was actually a sheet of Lexan ;-) I was pretty impressed. A pricey alternative to a gun safe though I imagine...

Years later I still think about that and was wondering if any of you do that kind of thing - where you manage to have your guns on discrete display but with security added? I mean, I think my guns are beautiful things and although I wouldn't want them too publicly displayed for obvious reasons I wouldn't mind seeing them a bit more than I do when they are locked away.

I guess it comes down to the storage regs eh? ...and what constitutes a container that cannot easily be broken into...

Thoughts?

Wolrman

Mr. Dean
11-27-2008, 11:22 AM
I too would rather have mine displayed also, instead of being in a safe. The safe is 'clumsy' when ya want to pull one out; especially if it isn't in the front row.

I thought of making up racks encased in Lexan, with inside hinges but this would look to commercial IMO... Didn't think of laminating wood to metal.

As a kid, I used to love seeing those 'old' gun cabinets that people used to use. Some of the 'secure' cab's that people use today, offer little more in security. All they do is take away the viewing factor of something *nice*, for what looks to be an over-sized electrical panel.

Gateholio
11-27-2008, 12:13 PM
To comply with regulations, all you need to do is trigger lock an unrestricted firearm. After that, it's up to you how you display it.

Lock up your guns in a safe for theft purposes, if you feel theft is a threat.

Mr. Dean
11-27-2008, 01:26 PM
While theft IS a concern of mine,,,,, so is dust.

I hate dusting. :tongue:

Mr. Dean
11-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Wolfy, you have given me an idea.

Look for a used china cab and line it with a modest guage steel then cusion-felt the interior. Gut the shelves for a racking system, gut the hutch and do same.... Lexan windows, hidden hinges,,,, wood trim on top of the glass, rubber weather stripping.... VIOLA!

It would meet both of my criterias - Nice-n-secure AND no dust. Just a nice piece of furniture that'll hold/display LOTSA guns.

It should also be bullet proof. :lol: :lol:

Me likes. :smile:

Salty
11-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Or, go with the "safe room" concept. Its addressed in the regs. Esentially a room with a dead bolt door and locks on the windows. If you have a spare bedroom or such it wouldn't take much. Then you can store them how ever you want. A guy I know has done this. I go into his room and look at a hundred or so rifles in wooden racks and I just get all warm and fuzzy all over. ..

Mr. Dean
11-27-2008, 04:06 PM
The room idea is cool. I know a friend that has done this. BUT, the room still doesn't get 'viewed' by people that just happen to drop in for a visit or dinner.

What I like about a cabinet is the awarness that they generate. As soon as a person gets past the front door and into the living room, there's no mistaking that the owner is a proud gun owner/hunter. The cabinet would have to be addressed (invoke conversation) whereas a secure room, one needs to recieve a 2nd invite to see it, and that invite could be declined.... Unless that's where the dinner table is. :cool: :smile:

I'm all FOR getting us out of the closets. :wink:

Wolfman
11-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Wolfy, you have given me an idea.

Look for a used china cab and line it with a modest guage steel then cusion-felt the interior. Gut the shelves for a racking system, gut the hutch and do same.... Lexan windows, hidden hinges,,,, wood trim on top of the glass, rubber weather stripping.... VIOLA!

It would meet both of my criterias - Nice-n-secure AND no dust. Just a nice piece of furniture that'll hold/display LOTSA guns.

It should also be bullet proof. :lol: :lol:

Me likes. :smile:

I like that too!

Hey Mr. Dean, you coming out to the Xmas meet at Jimmy Macs ?

Wolfman

Will
11-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Or, go with the "safe room" concept. Its addressed in the regs. Esentially a room with a dead bolt door and locks on the windows.
Kinda sounds like every House in Canada.....:lol:

What, where and how a Person secures thier personal possessions inside of thier private property should be thier business...nobody elses and certainly not the Governments concern.

boxhitch
11-27-2008, 07:35 PM
A design I had in mind was a basic metal rack holding the rifles horizontal, with an extra removable bar to sandwich the rifle in the rack, and tamper proof locks. A nice light for highlighting, and an array of lazer pointers creating that curtain of security.

And the mandatory 'Repercussion" device.

The Hermit
11-27-2008, 07:46 PM
As much as I HATE it the reality is that assholes do steal guns and use them in the commission of crime. Every time that happens gun owners get a black eye. Having my guns in a vault is worth the the hassle and I sleep better knowing that assholes can't easily steal them.

PGK
11-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Got too many guns. I think the wingmasters look nice on the old rack though. Two cabinets, both full. All either have trigger or cable locks. No, the carved cabinet is not for sale :biggrin:

7 in here
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/z1.jpg

2 Wingmasters
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/z2.jpg

9 in here (in the living room, haha)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/z3.jpg

Sideofabarn
11-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I hope the girlfriend is gonna be cool with the arsenal hanging over the "bed of love"

spreerider
11-27-2008, 09:22 PM
wow nice carved cabinet, now i want one of those.
when i moved into my new house there was a hidden door on a closet, and the only reason you knew it was there was a deadbolt lock, inside it was a guncabenit with steel inner layer with felt and racks, was beautiful but seeing as we are short on space and not enough guns to fill it we took the door off and made a bookshelf.

Mr. Dean
11-28-2008, 12:16 AM
As much as I HATE it the reality is that assholes do steal guns and use them in the commission of crime. Every time that happens gun owners get a black eye. Having my guns in a vault is worth the the hassle and I sleep better knowing that assholes can't easily steal them.

My concept woud be every bit secure as the safe I use now. The only thing lacking would be the concrete fire-proofing.

Mr. Dean
11-28-2008, 02:21 AM
I like that too!

Hey Mr. Dean, you coming out to the Xmas meet at Jimmy Macs ?

Wolfman

Next week???
I'm not sure that the people going know when to show. :lol:

Can't commit to any weekend dates. Whenever it is, I'll leave it up to karma to decide.

sawmill
11-29-2008, 11:45 AM
As much as I would like to show off my rifles I am more scared to have some shitbag peer through my livingroom window when I am at work and steal them.
I haved saved up for years to have what I think is perfect for me,a 30.06 Brno(sp) a 243 BLR(my fav deer rifle) and an old Stevens .22 semi Auto.
I keep mine in a gun safe bolted to the wall in a sfe and hard to find place in my house.Sucks but at least I will always have them.