PDA

View Full Version : tum tum lake 3-42

tooty
11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Did anyone hunt 3-42 and actually see a moose or perhaps a mule deer.I think the other camp shot the cow that lived there.And the few white tails told the mulies to take a hike.We pounded that area harder than most every place we have ever hunted and got skunked for the first time in 25 years.Hunted 5500 ft to 2000 ft,canoe on the lake,two quads to travel on,hiking,glassing,zip??WTF.Saw two mule does 3-37 on the way out in 30 minutes.No leh for that zone.Also 3 buddies showed up and did the road hunt thing for 4 days,never saw a thing.

one-shot-wonder
11-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Never hunted the area, but the place could have a predator problem......I have heard that Tum Tum has some whopper mule bucks in it!

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Never hunted the area, but the place could have a predator problem......I have heard that Tum Tum has some whopper mule bucks in it!

You are right about Tum Tum lake, wait for fresh snow and hunt the timber there are some huge bucks in there.There used to be this hunting group that went up there every year and took BC record bucks every time.

tooty
11-26-2008, 09:35 PM
We had snow at 4500 ft about two days before we got there,then more a couple of days into our hunt at 5000 ft.Saw bull moose sign in one spot at first.Had a leh for a cow.But hunted that area morning,noon,nite.Going in pitch black,coming back at pitch black.The boys at camp were getting worried because I was so late all the time.

tooty
11-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Also saw plenty of wolf tracks.Only one set of black bear.No griz.Cat tracks too.

Will
11-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Wolves.............blame it on wolves:smile:

Orangethunder
11-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Good spot for moose and deer. Some big whities and mulies up there. Harbour Lakes, Goat Creek and Dudgeon come to mind. I might not have camped all the way up at Tum Tum but its definetly a scenic spot. I think the 3-42 side of Rd 2 should have been productive too. Its been a tough year this year all over. Not much snow to push critters down or to find sign. The bull trout fishing in Tum Tum can be sweet too.

Better luck next time.

Orangethunder
11-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Also saw plenty of wolf tracks.Only one set of black bear.No griz.Cat tracks too.

The wolves and cats are always abundant up there. Many a day did I go to work to find cat tracks in my snowshoe tracks from the day before.

When the wolves push through the moose go from valley bottom to half way up the hillside. The wolves tend to come around every 10-14 days from November until March.

trigger78
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
have friends that live near there and hunted it for years and the last two years they said they have not seen a thing exept a couple of wolves

tooty
11-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Aahh haa!!! I don't think we are going to hunt there anytime soon.Rain, sleet,monster hail,fog,thick,thick timber,overgrown cut blocks and no critters.We turned Harbour lake inside out,all those spots mentioned.

dana
11-27-2008, 08:48 PM
It ain't a hunt for the weak hearted. Especially during a year like this with little snowfall. The bucks are scattered from high elevation to valley bottom and everywhere in between. The extremely wet year we had this year created an unbelievable year of growth for the veg. The bucks don't have to expose themselves in the openings. They have all they need in the thick cover. They are fat and sassy and they are going into the winter without buring those fat stores from a hard fought rut. The wolves have always been thick in there. That ain't a new thing. The deer cope quite well with the wolves because the area is so thick. Don't kid yourself into thinkin the wolves killed them all. They are still in there. Just bloody hard to kick up this year is all.

tooty
11-28-2008, 08:32 AM
We were not to worried about getting a buck,the cow moose draw was the kicker.We were everywhere around Harbour lake,from 10km right up to the bridge that crosses the Adams,Tumtum Harbour,South Dudgeon,up Bower creek,Montieth.You name it,we where there,sun up to sun down.A little bit of moose sign along the South Dudgeon along the ungdulate winter range,the west slope of Mt Cunnigham,2000 ft.

tooty
11-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh,we saw whitetails,but not one mule deer until we left 3-42 and were down at Adams lake in 3-37,doe draw in 3-42 also.

dana
11-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Did you float the river around Mica? The meadows should have had some moose in them. If you ever float the river be careful where you put in. Don't put in as high as the Tum-Harbour bridge. There is a set of falls below that point that have killed people in the past. The river is quite tame in around Mica though.
Did you see any of our Region 3 elk?

Orangethunder
11-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Mica is a good spot. There is some nice country all around that lake.

tooty
11-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Ran out of time to float mica.The plan was to float that part of the river but 3 of our guys bailed on us,they would have the empty trucks to move canoes and people.Also there was a camp on the mica lake already they saw nothing.I did see elk sign above Harbour lake mixed in with bull moose sign.I little tricky to pick apart who is who.That was at 5500ft Nov1 to 7 ,little snow.