PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Cow/Calf Elk Draw

mariathemoose
09-27-2005, 08:16 PM
We were lucky enough to draw a cow/calf elk in Region 4 02 in the Kootenays. I was wondering if anyone knows any farmers' phone number that I could call for permission to hunt on their property. There is an 1100 metre restriction.

We haven't been to the kootenays in over 10 years so any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers and good hunting.

Seeadler
10-01-2005, 08:23 AM
better stick to crown land, the farmer's there aren't very receptive to strangers hunting on their land. most of the private land is either: a) posted "no trespassing", b) is high fenced to keep the elk and deer out of the crops, or c) is indian reserve.

maybe ask at the store (buy stuff to make them happy first) if anyone is having trouble with the elk and let them know that you have a cow tag (no one will let you hunt on their land if you are looking for a bull). you might get lucky.

mariathemoose
10-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Yes thanks, we are hunting crown land, just thought on the off chance if we didn't see anything there might be a farmer that was having troubles, sometimes you hear about these things. Makes it hard with the elevation restriction if the animals aren't low now.

Walksalot
10-01-2005, 06:25 PM
We were lucky enough to draw a cow/calf elk in Region 4 02 in the Kootenays. I was wondering if anyone knows any farmers' phone number that I could call for permission to hunt on their property. There is an 1100 metre restriction.

We haven't been to the kootenays in over 10 years so any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers and good hunting.

Haven't hunted there for many year but shot many elk in that MU. We hunted the breaks above Koocanusa(sp) and done really well but that was in November December.

jonz
10-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Some of my friends were somewhere around there a couple weeks ago. Filled their limited entry cow elk tag and also they all 4 got whitetail bucks. On crown land. Said there were so many animals it was like a game farm lol.

tombstone
10-02-2005, 07:27 PM
You shouldn't have to worry about farmers fields, there should be elk running around all over there, there is lots of good hunting on crown land. Try Grasmere, or Wigwam River and its triburaries and you'll be cuttin your tag early with any luck.:-D

Seeadler
10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Those tags aren't valid in the Wigwam, they are for "Zone X" which is between Lake Koocanusa and the 1100m mark on the Galton Range.

Watch out for cattle! They don't have to be off the range until Oct 15, I believe.

Good Luck!