PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater real advice .

rafike
11-26-2008, 11:23 AM
l am heading to the Clearwater area for mulies and whitetails Dec. 5-10. l have never hunted this area but would like to.l am taking my 75 year old dad and 9 year old son, l would appreciate some honest advice. l do not want to start a debate on this topic. l am not trying to take someones honey hole away, but never hunted the area l would like a few pointers. l am coming down from PG and am thinking of going through Little Fort.
Is there a decent place to stay in the area, If anyone lives there l wouldn't mind a snow update.
Thanks
Pete

Johnny G1
11-26-2008, 12:32 PM
The hunting has been slow for us so far and we have tryed to hunt about 4 days a week, there is a big hotel on the hwy in Clearwater that is open 24 hrs, a skiff of snow last nite.

longleader
11-27-2008, 08:38 AM
There is a motel right in Little Fort, hunters often stay there. Lots of accomodation in Clearwater, if you stay in the Wells Gray Hotel, the one on the highway, then you can have breakfast there too.

As far as the hunting goes, it's a bit tough this year, very little snow high up, and none down low, so the deer can be anywhere. All I can say is just pick a road and check it out. Little Fort area would be as good as any.

I've been out with my daughter from Kamloops every weekend, she wants a four point buck - no luck, lots of exercise though. Pretty noisy in the bush, wet leaves which have frozen, crunch, crunch, crunch...cornflakes.

There are a few whitetails around, but they are pretty evasive, sorta like winning the 649!:roll: I buy a tag every year, only one has ever been cut. There is the odd muley/whitey hybrid out there, as well. Not sure which tag you would notch for that, maybe which ever features were most prominent.

Best of luck in your hunting.

SUAFOYT
11-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Like the previous post said- no snow and very crunchy. Temp was -6 this AM so any precip should be the white stuff. Lots of accomodation. The Rivermount Motel is about 5 min N of Little Fort and has a restaurant but no idea what the rooms are like. You can work the Thuya Lakes Rd and Lemieux Ck Rd easily from there but watch your boundaries. Go too far and you're in 5-1. I wouldn't stay at the Wells Gray in Clearwater- it's very old and with the pub can be noisy. Food is ok there and the coffee shop is 24hrs. If you want a little more comfort and want to cook for yourself there's the Clearwater Lodge. Every room has kitchen facilities and is fairly new. If the weather is not too snotty you could take the turn off to Canim Lake off of 97 b4 100 Mile and take the Canim/Hendrix Rd which takes you on the S side of Canim Lake and at the Mahood Falls junction take Rd 2 which will bring you right through TFL 18 into Clearwater. This route is all signed. At about the 40k marker or so you're in 3-39. Road 2 has lots of side roads to check out but it is an active haul road. The areas around Vavenby get hit pretty hard and if I give any more info I'll get drummed out of the Clearwater Hunter's Union. Like I said in a different post, if you need a secure hanging/skinning spot drop me a PM- no charge. Good Luck.