PDA

View Full Version : Deer Down

Ddog
11-25-2008, 09:27 PM
well i took a youngster hunting this evening, received permission from his parents to get him out of school at 2pm (an hour early). and take him to a spot that i knew alot of deer were hanging out.
he was carrying a 30/30 with a 4x scope, a beautiful little deer gun. I knew the spot where we would be sitting was a 250 yard shot to the treeline because earlier a friend of mine told me he ranged it from the blind.
i asked the young gun if he was comfortable with that shot if the chance should come, and being so gung ho ready to go he said YES.
after we parked the truck and started our 20 minute walk in to the blind we had several deer pass in front of us including one nice little buck. no shot presented itself.
once we got in eyesight of the blind i looked to the right and at the 200 yard treeline were 3 does and one nice buck that stepped over the edge and out of sight never to return.
quickly looking over and scanning the treeline in a 180 degree circle spotted somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or so deer, one being a little buck that he decided he would take if he gets a shot.
all of a sudden at about 10 to 4 there were deer walking everywhere we looked. i told him to wait a sceond before he shoots cause there were so many does coming out there has to be a buck coming to see.
then the does all started looking in the bush and getting all excited and one doe came running out with a nice 3 point on her tail, thats the deer he wants now! i told him to get ready and use the stump for a rest and when he stops go ahead and take the shot.
the buck stops i hear click as the hammer was pulled back and then boom,, the deer looks right at us and then turns and faces us. i said i think you missed he says yup and has the deer lined up again right in the chest he is slightly quartered facing us and he asks if he can shoot again. i said if he is comfortable go ahead and take it, he does,, BOOM the buck sorta did a small sidestep, then turned and went for the treeline with the look of his front end in quicksand. out of sight he went. that looked pretty good .
so we waited about 10 minutes or so and started our walk towards the deer. got to the spot and walked along the kinda trail and found one drop of blood with a little piece of fat with it.
25 yards later we looked to the right and there he was upside down antlers stuck in the dirt.
when we cleaned him out we watched a half dozen more deer come to feed within 80 yards of us. it was kinda weird all the deer in there watching us drag out there buddy. all in all we saw about 40 deer with several being bucks. boy o boy what a drag out! had him cleaned and ready to drag by 4:30 . just posting this now and i hafta go and skin him and its 9:25 the spot is 25 minutes from my house.
this is his best buck yet, and i had no problems tagging it out for him.
its his 3rd deer.http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0426.jpg?t=1227671907

rocksteady
11-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Good job !!!

Helping to keep the young hunters successful sure makes them stay with the sport.....

You did not take him into one of my honey holes did you???:eek::eek:

Rattler
11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Ddog,

Great to see you taking out youngsters. I believe getting the youth involved early will ensure the continued success of this great sport.

doubled
11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
That is awesome to hear. Well done for the boy and well done for you. One helluva role model.

Shermdog
11-25-2008, 10:48 PM
nice work....can you take me next haha jk

11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Great to get them new young hunters into game, brings back distant , long ago memories, congrats to the newbe.
CT

Ddog
11-25-2008, 11:18 PM
hey rock,,,trust me i have been looking for your honeyholes for a season or two now, one day i will see you driving and if you see a black 150 following you, just ignore it,,ITS NOT ME..:)

the spot i took him to, has produced several deer this year for my friends, its a real sweet spot for a rifle. not so good for a bow cause of where they seem to come from.
i think i was more pumped than he was, however all of his friends got the camera phone picture message and i swear before we got home he had 30 calls, and half a dozen young hunters at his house waiting to see.. it was real cool!

Gateholio
11-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Well done! Great to hear.. Hilarious about how fast news travels these days!:smile:

Steeleco
11-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Well done Ddog, your going to be his hero for some time. How many of his buds want you to take them now??

hunter1947
11-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Well done Ddog as for your story ,this young fella will never forget this day ,good for you taking him out.

Ddog
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
they all want to go hunting to "the spot" now, unfortunately with the rifle season coming to an end and me being in school i wont get the chance to take anyone there for the rest of this season.
it was a great evening hunt, even if he didnt get a shot we were both still astounded at the amount of deer we seen, and we must have found at least 80 fresh rubs, no scrapes but it was awesome teaching him about the rubs and then showing him the deer's antlers with the bark on them and showing him the tarsal gland and watching him smell the stick i rubbed it with. that was funny.

KevinB
11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
That's a great story Ddog, that sounds like a great area to take a new hunter, as there is nothing like a little early success (or even seeing a lot of deer) to get the hook sunk in. Good on you.

308Lover
11-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Brought tears to my eyes Ddog! My uncles did the same sort of things for me (but not out of school-Ha Ha)- that's why I hunt to this day ---and this young fellow won't forget either! Good on Ya!

LeverActionJunkie
11-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Good work Ddog:)

Phil
11-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Good work! There is a great sense of accomplishment when you're able to help out a new hunter.

nomad
11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Love it!! Can't wait to see my boy get his first!! Hopefully next season! Cool how sooo many of his buds were interested too! Way to go!

rifleman
11-26-2008, 08:12 PM
thats great to hear he could leave the class room to go with you to huntng school. good on ya!!!!